1:48 Le Coureur 1776

James H

1:48 Le Coureur 1776

CAF Model

Catalogue # SSL07

Available directly from CAF Model for $342USD plus shipping

IMG_0659.jpg

Le Coureur (1778) was a French lugger that Jacques and Daniel Denys built at Dunkirk and launched on 8 May 1776. HMS Alert, under the command of Lieutenant William George Fairfax, engaged and captured her on 17 June 1778, in advance of the declaration of war. In the engagement, Coureur, under the command of Enseigne de Rosily, had five men killed and seven wounded out of her crew of 50. Alert had four men wounded, two mortally. The British took Coureur into the Royal Navy under her existing name, as HMS Coureur. She was under the command of Lieutenant Christopher Major on 21 June 1780 when two American privateers, the Fortune and the Griffin, captured her outside Bonavista Bay after an action that cost her three men killed and four wounded. The Americans put Major and 30 of his men aboard Griffin, which fell prey the next day to HMS Fairy.
Wikipedia

The kit
Le Coureur is split into two kits, Parts 1 & 2. To make things a little easier to understand here, this article will look at the contents of each individual box. Each box is a shallow, corrugated affair with a lid flap and folding edge with tabs that lock everything closed. Each box is also very full of material, so much so that when removing items to review, I had the devil’s own work in trying to get it all back in there! Still, that’s certainly nothing to complain about. Instruction manuals are nicely printed and in clear plastic sleeves, and the plans and photo-etch are also nicely packaged. All parts are also sheathed in a sealed plastic covering to stop anything moving about in transit. In the main photo, please ignore the inclusion of the Salamandre cutter. This is separate and will be reviewed soon.

Pack 1

DSC_4850.jpg

DSC_4851.jpg

There are items within Pack 1 which pertain to Pack 2, such as side view plans with the interior, photo-etch etc. but for the sake of this article, we’ll look at them here as this is where they were found. Pack 1 is essentially a kit which produces the building cradle and the hull framing/keel etc. That’s it. So, you won’t find any embellishments, cannon or other fittings in here. 

DSC_4827.jpg

DSC_4831.jpg

DSC_4829.jpg

DSC_4830.jpg

What you do get are numerous ply frames that build the cradle, complete with a side plan engraved on one side, plus twelve panels of laser-cut cherry parts. This looks very easy to build and of course provides all positive locations for the keel, frames and stern timbers. CAF recommend the cradle base parts are screwed down onto a plat surface. I’ll use some high quality blockboard when my time comes, as this was excellent for the flying models I used to build, many moons ago.

jig.jpg

DSC_4844.jpg

DSC_4845.jpg

DSC_4846.jpg

DSC_4847.jpg

DSC_4848.jpg

The latter are produced with rounded edges, and I think this is because they needed to be able to flip the parts over to add the engraving to the opposite side, plus some CNC machining……yes, CNC on laser-cut sheets! I know it’s the first time I’ve ever encountered it. As far as the engravings go, these frame parts really do require it as they mark out the bevel for this clinker-planked hull. That’s why some sheets have the engraving on the reverse too. 

DSC_4833.jpg

DSC_4834.jpg

DSC_4835.jpg

DSC_4841.jpg

DSC_4836.jpg

DSC_4837.jpg

DSC_4843.jpg

One thing you will see on the reverse is some heat scorching. This varies from sheet to sheet, but the one I show here is the worst of them. These parts will need to first be bevelled to the engraved lines before removing the char as we don’t want to lose the engravings by simply sanding the whole sheet first. There doesn’t appear to be any loss of surface material with this, so it should clean up just fine.Each panel of parts is clearly numbered, and the part numbers are referenced with a map of the panels that’s provided in the manual for Pack 1. So, you will have a part on panel 2, for example, shown as 02-8-a for part 8a. Very simple.

frame.jpg

All frames are constructed on the series of drawings which are supplied on the rolled-up sheets. As these frames are built from parts on top of parts, the drawings also show where the overlaying frame elements sit, and you’ll need a metal setsquare to confirm things before you commit to glue. All parts will also need to be bevelled before any frame construction.

Some parts panels, as mentioned, also have some CNC machining. This is to create things like the rabbet on the keel, and the bevel for deadwood bearding line. The machining itself will need to be cleaned up to smooth it out, but the majority of the material is already removed for you, so just the cosmetics will be required. 

DSC_4838.jpg

DSC_4839.jpg

DSC_4840.jpg

Taking of CNC machining, CAF also supply some stern parts which are fully machine-shaped. These just need cutting from the blocks they are a part of, and then cleaning up. As these are naturally verry complex shapes, it’s nice to see these prefabricated for the modeller.

frame1.jpg

DSC_4842.jpg

Also in this pack, but for use with Pack 2 are two photo-etch frets, produced in brass. The larger one contains everything you would imagine you need, such as hinges, stove parts etc. An acetate sheet is included for glazing the stern windows.

DSC_4853.jpg

Pack 2

DSC_4857.jpg

DSC_4858.jpg

DSC_4859.jpg

DSC_4861.jpg

This box is identical in size to that for Pack 1, and again, contains that much material that you’ll actually struggle to put it all back properly! All items, including fittings boxes, are wrapped in a single covering of clear film. Included here are three sheets of ply, four sheets of maple (deck), and over 35 sheets of cherry wood. Ply parts are included to modify the building jig as your model progresses, and also for a display stand, although I would be sorely tempted to use the parts as templates and build a display cradle from a more suitable material.

DSC_4862.jpg

DSC_4863.jpg

The decks are supplied as individual planks, laser cut into the maple sheets, and in the layout order in which you will install them. That’s a nice touch. I expect the laser char between them could be a good caulk representation, but I’d need to test that first.

DSC_4864.jpg

DSC_4865.jpg

When it comes to planking, CAF supply the materials to complete the whole hull interior and exterior. The exterior is clinker, and all planks are provided as laser-cut parts over a good many of the included sheets. The instructions clearly show how this much be approached. The tricky internal planks are a godsend, especially with the taper that’s required, so the inclusion of those is also very welcome.

DSC_4866.jpg

DSC_4867.jpg

DSC_4868.jpg

CAF’s approach to other planked areas also follows that of the decks, where a specific area is laser cut in the order of application. It’s a no-brainer! Other parts, where applicable, are also engraved with bevel lines.

DSC_4869.jpg

DSC_4870.jpg

DSC_4871.jpg

DSC_4872.jpg

DSC_4873.jpg

DSC_4874.jpg

DSC_4875.jpg

Not all parts are laser cut. Three parts panels are CNC cut. These also include machined notches, and they appear to be deck beams. 

DSC_4876.jpg

There are TWO fittings boxes with Le Coureur, and they are brimming with parts.

DSC_4877.jpg

The first I look at contains pins, rings, chains, lead sheeting, rigging blocks, leather, cord, clay stove parts, and a myriad of machined wooden items. First of all, the rigging blocks are machined from a dark timber and are supplied in chains that you need to cut up and clean the block ends. The machined wooden parts include the capstan and hawse, stern windows and stern embellishments. Some of the latter looks a little rough when photographed, but actually looks perfectly fine to the eye. Some very fine sanding sticks could be used to tickle anything you aren’t too happy with. To remove these fragile parts, you need to grind the backs of them over some medium abrasive paper, and they will be released.

DSC_4878.jpg

DSC_4879.jpg

DSC_4881.jpg

DSC_4882.jpg

DSC_4885.jpg

The second parts box contains numerous metal fittings. I’m not sure if these are brass or bronze, but the casting is excellent. The cannon emblems are very nice, but I was unable to get a clear pic on the bare metal. Other metal parts include anchors, hooks, triangular eyelets, hinges etc.

DSC_4886.jpg

DSC_4887.jpg

DSC_4888.jpg

DSC_4890.jpg

Also in this box are various spools of rigging cord, and these also look very good quality. 

DSC_4891.jpg

I was lucky enough to receive the Le Coureur nameplate, carved in pear wood, as part of their initial free gift promotion. This isn’t now included, but is available from CAF for $15. 

DSC_4893.jpg

Brass wire is supplied on a wooden spool.

DSC_4894.jpg

A bundle of strip wood and dowel is included and is of high quality. Lengths are identified for size. 

DSC_4913.jpg

Sail cloth is also included, but you will need to make these yourself using the plans as reference.

Manuals

DSC_4828.jpg

The manuals are very good, with English that is certainly easy enough to understand (having been proof-read and corrected by our very own Kerry Jang), and especially in context with the illustrations which have coloured elements to show what’s happening. The Pack 1’s 15-page manual focuses solely on the construction of the building cradle, preparation and assembly of the frames, and of course the basic building of the hull. Hull construction ends with the fitting of the keelson, and with the skeleton still within the building cradle.

jigframe.jpg

jigframe2.jpg

The manual supplied with Pack 2 is a thicker publication, with 50 pages. Here we see the external planking, interior of the hull being fitted out with interior planking, interior bulkheads for the various compartments, floor, cabinets, sleeping berths, stove etc. The hull is indeed fully detailed within. This model is also fully masted and rigged and this is all shown in superb detail, rope by rope, rigging block by rigging block. As with the previous manual, you will need to cross identify each part with the parts map in the back of this manual. 

Numerous sheets of plans are supplied either rolled up or folded, and in full size. The largest, showing rigging and masting, is printed in A0 size, so you'll need a large place to hang this up! Drawings are superbly done, and to my eye, look easy to understand, but then again, I am used to studying technical and engineering drawings. 

DSC02074.jpg

DSC02075.jpg

DSC02076.jpg

DSC02077.jpg

DSC02078.jpg

Cutter

DSC_4895.jpg

DSC_4896.jpg

This type of cutter was very typical for the time, hence the reason for its inclusion with this kit. CAF have packed this into its own little box, and it presents a project in itself. As with the main hull, this is built up using a box jig into which seventeen individual frames sit on the keel, followed by the keelson. My only criticism of this is the use of ply for the frames. I feel these should’ve been made in cherry or preferable pear. All planks are laser cut into a thin veneer and need to be handled carefully. When built up, this should look a very attractive little addition to Le Coureur.

DSC_4897.jpg

DSC_4898.jpg

DSC_4899.jpg

DSC_4900.jpg

Accessories

DSC_4901.jpg

DSC_4902.jpg

This kit includes a small box containing barrels, crates, small crates, beds and also four crew. The barrel staves are produced in thin veneer, and photo-etch for the hoops. The crates are of simple construction and the parts look great with their laser engraving. Four resin crew figures are supplied too. 

DSC_4903.jpg

DSC_4904.jpg

DSC_4906.jpg

DSC_4907.jpg

DSC_4908.jpg

DSC_4909.jpg

DSC_4911.jpg

DSC_4912.jpg

Conclusion
This is the first time I’ve seen a CAF kit ‘in the timber’, so to speak, and I very much like this release. Production quality is high and I think it sells for a very reasonable price for the amount of work and time you will invest in the build. CAF have tried to make the dark art (for some of us!) of POF, as simple as they can with engraving lines for bevelled frame parts, machined chamfers and also pre-cut planks. Still, this will be no walk in the park if you’ve never attempted such a project before, but CAF has done as much as possible to hold your metaphorical hand throughout the build. 

There is some clean-up required on the rear of some panels, to remove scorching, but this won’t be too difficult, and the inclusion of those machined stern timbers is a very nice touch. Kit fittings such as stove and cannon are also nicely cast and made, and the wooden barrel and crate set add an extra degree of life to the already nicely furnished hull interior. Of course, there’s those resin crew and beds too. In all, this is a very attractive and comprehensive kit of a very worthy subject. One beauty of this POF kit is that the frames have a natural spacing which means you can still the interior if you decide to leave a number of planks off the model. Head over to CAF Model and place your order. Looking forward to seeing some build logs of this on MSW.

My sincere thanks to Tom at CAF Model for the kit reviewed here. To purchase, click the link at the top of the article.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

CAFmodel.jpg

Excellent review James. I’ve never seen anything like this, really looking forward to seeing the first build logs.  It seems one potential challenge is if any of those pre-formed planks break, were any extras provided for the more clumsy among us?  

I’m also confused by all the interior detail and trying to imagine myself making all those barrels. I assume you’d only do that if you’re a masochist or are planning to expose the interior as part of the build. 

Quite the new approach to kits. I’m also surprised at the reasonable price for so much material. So who’s building the first one so we can all watch?

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Terrific review, James. This is a very ambitious project. To me the greatest difficulty will be getting the external planking runs perfectly aligned and pre-beveled to exact specs. Notching the frames for the planking in a clinker style hull seems like a great solution to clinker planking providing that every notch is perfectly aligned. I’m curious to know if the planking at the bow and the stern has gains (tapers) to make them flush at the transom and stem rabbet.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

36 minutes ago, dvm27 said:

getting the external planking runs perfectly aligned and pre-beveled to exact specs.

That's a really good point. I'm not sure I could pull that off, let's see how James does it 🙂

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

lovely review James, that is quite an upgrade in quality over the Enterprise

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Great review James!  

I just got an e-mail from Tom saying he has been up late at night doing the castings for the kit!  The lessons learned on his Enterprize have really showed up in Le Coureur, but either kit will certainly allow many to build a framed model with a lot less stress and cost.  I remember buying shop tools to mill down my own wood, and locating good stocks of hardwood was a task.  

Looking forward to a build log here soon!

Cheers,

Kerry

7 hours ago, kljang said:

Great review James!  

I just got an e-mail from Tom saying he has been up late at night doing the castings for the kit!  The lessons learned on his Enterprize have really showed up in Le Coureur, but either kit will certainly allow many to build a framed model with a lot less stress and cost.  I remember buying shop tools to mill down my own wood, and locating good stocks of hardwood was a task.  

Looking forward to a build log here soon!

Cheers,

Kerry

Really looking forward to this one, and I plan to start this around the end of October, when my current project is complete.

4 hours ago, Michel L. said:

Hi,

Do you agree that this model could be a good start for the first POF ship after build some other POB intermediate ones ?

Michel

yes it would be as thats just what i am doing with my HMS Enterprise build

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Like  the addition of the figures.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

11 hours ago, Michel L. said:

Do you agree that this model could be a good start for the first POF

I think I’d wait to see how that clinker hull works for the average builder

Regards,

Glenn

• 3 weeks later...

I have just received my kit of Le Coureur.

After purchasing more than 20 kits over 30 years, this sets a new and very high standard. The packaging, detail, ingenuity and value for money makes this a priority on anyone's list.

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Thank you for your excellent review...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

4 minutes ago, stuglo said:

I have just received my kit of Le Coureur.

After purchasing more than 20 kits over 30 years, this sets a new and very high standard. The packaging, detail, ingenuity and value for money makes this a priority on anyone's list.

I totally agree. @cafmodel deserve to do really well with this kit. I think it's outstanding value for money.

Just now, Moab said:

Thank you for your excellent review...Moab

You're more than welcome. It'd be rude not to share such a lovely kit like this, with a full article. My build is starting very soon. My baseboard (that the jig screws to) will be here on Saturday (hopefully).

I don't think I could get through the fairing with tall the little steps before I fell off my chair.  I'm looking forward to see your build to see how the hull comes out.  It certainly is a different model

Regards,

Glenn

I’ve decided to dive in to POF with both feet.... I ordered the CAF Enterprise and Le Coureur, I plan to build the Le Coureur pretty much as designed but the Enterprise I hope to build using the upright method utilizing the Ed Tosti Naiad books as a construction guide.  Get going on your build log  James, I plan to use your log as a guide for L.C. 😀

Lou