Baltic Ketch Scotland - Corel 1:64

HMS Fly - Swan Class ship sloop - Victory models 1:64

HMS Diana - Artois Class Heavy Frigate - Caldercraft - 1:64

HM Cutter Trial 1790 - Vanguard Models - 1:64 

18th Century Merchantman Half Hull - NRG-1:48 

Current Build

HMS Speedy 1782 2023 Edition - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Posted (edited)

What a great result. Nice to see what can be achieved from a kit. 

Yet as a first build, this is pretty awesome. That paint job on the stern and sharp rigging really make it stand out. 

Curious about that next build as well!

Edited by Javelin

Thank you to everyone for your kind comments. I am glad so many of you have been able to come on this journey with me.

I had previously promised I would talk more about what I plan next once Alert was complete so here is the current plan:

1. I am planning to take a short break from wooden ship modeling to do a smaller plastic project. I will be building a Type VIIC Uboat using the Hobby Boss kit. I am planning to stick pretty close to the kit so don’t expect to see much bashing here. Only addition I am planning is to set her in a seascape.

Though I don’t plan to post as much detail as in this log I will be documenting my progress here.

2. My next wooden ship will be HMS Perseus, a 20 gun Sphinx class post ship. I had originally planned to kitbash the vanguard kit, but the number of changes I was planning got so long that I figured better just do it from scratch. I will be depicting her as she appeared around 1781 when commanded by Richard Dacres.

I will be doing a detailed build log which you can find here.

I don’t expect to start making sawdust for a few months yet. However, if you are interested in following me on a deep dive into the ship and the people who served on her I will be summarizing some of my research in the early log posts.

Absolutely stunning workmanship and an inspiration to us all. I only wish I had found this log earlier on your journey.

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Congratulations on an amazing model. I wish I had your skill (and patience)! I’ve really enjoyed following on and learnt lots from your build. Thank you. 

Dan

Current Build: Yacht Duchess of Kingston (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Previous Builds: Fifie (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Nisha (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Zulu (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Saucy Jack (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Erycina (Vanguard Models, 1:64), HMS Alert (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Grecian (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Ranger (Vanguard Models, 1:64), HM Gun Brig Adder (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Waiting to be Built: Speedy (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

This is a beautiful model.  I've been following your build closely.  I didn't realize until the very end that this was your first wooden ship build.  As I am approaching the rigging phase of my Cheerful (also my first wooden ship build), I plan on referencing all your posts on rigging.  That's probably the part of my build that I'm most nervous about.  I don't want to screw things up this far into the project!  At any rate, your inspiring Alert shows whats possible to achieve as a beginner.

Erik

• 2 weeks later...