Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat by ccoyle - FINISHED - GPM - 1/33 - CARD

That is looking mighty impressive  Chris.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Remember the not-very-realistic propeller hub in this kit? Here's what the one in the Card Army F4F kit looks like:

May be an image of aircraft

Of course, the Wildcat in the photo is being built by a real modeler, not me. The Card Army kit is like a six on a difficulty scale of one to five.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Nice!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

10 hours ago, CDW said:

What did you do to solve the riddle of the canopy and frame?

It turns out I overreacted a bit to the molded canopy issue -- it is apparently formed slightly over-sized on purpose. By gluing the framing to the portion of the canopy that it actually fit instead of presuming it should have followed the molded "edge" areas, everything works out. Of course, by not being able to follow the "edge" areas of the molded canopy, some guesswork is involved on where exactly to glue the frames in relation to the canopy's curvature, but that worked out, too.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

3 minutes ago, Dave_E said:

did you put the windscreen and the canopy together?

"canopy" = the clear, vacuformed after-market product

"frames" the printed canopy + windscreen framing from the kit

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

21 minutes ago, Dave_E said:

Canopy… did you put the windscreen and the canopy together? 

15 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

"canopy" = the clear, vacuformed after-market product

"frames" the printed canopy + windscreen framing from the kit

Something I used to do to make windscreens for the ole guillow's balsa airplanes... Clear printers vellum heat bent around a form then using thin strips of balsa to create the frames...

It's a great technique just be careful with the heat...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

1 hour ago, Egilman said:

Something I used to do to make windscreens for the ole guillow's balsa airplanes... Clear printers vellum heat bent around a form

Some cardists do this to good effect, but I'm far too lazy, especially when an after-market canopy only costs a few dollars.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

46 minutes ago, Dave_E said:

I guess knowing what kits are supported by aftermarket upgrades and parts is key

Part of my addiction involves countless hours monitoring various vendor websites. 😁

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

3 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Part of my addiction involves countless hours monitoring various vendor websites. 😁

Ah… I may pick your brains in the future. 😁

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

So, I am now ready to start on the main landing gear, and this I can tell is going to be really, really fun. 😧 First, there is a ton of parts, including many tiny ones. Second, these parts are scattered across the parts sheets instead of being in one place together. Third, the bay doors have a curved surface in them, and just the main doors alone -- sans all of the strut attachment points, consist of five parts each; the curved parts are supposed to go in an area cryptically marked "cut out after forming" -- and I'm, like, "Dudes -- I can't see how the curved parts are supposed to fit unless I cut that portion out first." The instructions do not help on this point at all. I translated them into English, and this is what I got:

"Refer to the assembly drawings to make the chassis shave. Particular attention should be paid to the precise and solid construction of the G12-G15 chassis leg suspension."

That is the sole instruction on how to put the main gear struts together. Beats me what a "chassis shave" is. 🤔

The diagrams shed very little additional light on the assembly process.

Pray for strength!!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I think I would go with "shape" as well. Seems to fit better, (Pun intended).:D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, amateur said:

Surely there are some polish speaking people around here?

Shave, shape -- makes no difference. Correcting that one word won't hide the fact that the instructions are practically worthless.

Last night I distracted myself by doing a little painting of the resin wheels -- pictures later. How much later has not yet been determined!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

On 6/30/2022 at 3:22 AM, ccoyle said:

Canopy added.

... and sharp result, if I may say it.

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

I got around to starting the landing gear. First, a photo of the gear doors. The left one is finished; the right one is still in its "frame."

cat43.jpg.79e372db5f34ca6d40d526d3be18a6d3.jpg

So, the main difficulty in building these stems from the fact that the doors are not flat -- each has a pronounced curve that goes around its strut. The way the kit tackles this is to start with a two-sided "frame" from which the central portion is removed. Then six curved panels are added, three interior and three exterior. Finally, the finished doors are cut loose from their frames. I'm satisfied with the results.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I like that. An elegant solution that someone has thought through…and well executed. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Struts are next. First we have the basic struts -- each is a single paper piece wrapped around a length of 1 mm styrene rod.

cat44.thumb.jpg.5a581014cb59b3069886b0752369a348.jpg

And then we begin adding bits.

cat45.thumb.jpg.0be571df1e5762f0195afe5e08ba19f1.jpg

Like some other parts of this build, the struts suffer from the seemingly unnecessary duplication of parts. For example, some of the strut bits exist as printed parts AND as laser-cut parts on two different sheets, each having a different thickness. So, does one use part G15, the laser-cut G15, or the other laser-cut G15? Unlike HMV kit instructions, which indicate when laser-cut parts are an option, the GPM instructions don't provide that information, nor do they warn about the multitude of repeated parts. You can easily imagine the potential for confusion this causes.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Andrew, the trick is to glue the rod perfectly perpendicular to the direction of the roll at precisely the edge of the rolled part, then let the glue set completely. Afterwards, the paper can be rolled quite tightly. Also, I do not apply glue to the entire length of the roll, only at intervals to keep the thing from unraveling and at the final edge. Also, I've had lots of practice! 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

you've made some very good progress on the Hellcat Chris!   looks fantastic! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

40 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

More strut bits . . .

What's that song title?

She's Got Legs... and she knows how to use them.... {chuckle}

Very nice legs... well done...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"