Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat by ccoyle - FINISHED - GPM - 1/33 - CARD

Started work on the forward fuselage. Here are the skin sections with their joiner strips attached.

cat33.thumb.jpg.507290a1374e0640c56e7912c1ecacf1.jpg

Each of these must first be pre-formed as close as possible to the desired finished shape. The largest piece (top) was then closed, gently conformed to the shape of the previous fuselage section, and then allowed to remain dry-fitted for 24 hours to permanently 'fix' its shape. Then the next section was closed, shaped, and glued to the first section. After the glue had set, an internal bulkhead was placed inside the resulting cylinder and glued in place. Here's the work so far -- the two fuselage sections are not yet glued together.

cat34.thumb.jpg.d331900661f6ff5df8bba8125c728864.jpg

In the previous photo,you can see the next two rings joined together in the background. The two forward-fuselage assemblies won't be joined together just yet -- both the engine and air intake need to be built first. But, I couldn't resist getting a feel for what the finished nose will eventually look like.

cat35.thumb.jpg.0415536b9717108c6902e4dbe93e2898.jpg

Yep, it's going to look cool! In the photo, you can also see where I have added the optional recessed exhaust port. On photos of real Hellcats, there is usually a massive, dirty streak that arcs back from the exhaust port along the fuselage and over the wing root, as you can see in the photo below (from Wikimedia Commons):

File:Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat of VF-1 in flight over California (USA), in 1943 (80-G-K-605).jpg

The kit printing doesn't have any weathering, but I am half-tempted to try adding this rather conspicuous detail.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Well, another update. I got the forward fuselage and cowl finished, but it WAS NOT FUN. It took me quite a while to figure out how the various parts were supposed to go together, based on the somewhat nebulous diagrams. Then it took me another long while to screw up the nerve to actually start gluing stuff, and the stuff didn't just fall together but instead required substantial fiddling and shaping just to get at something acceptable. Then it took me yet another long while to do all the touch up work after the gluing was done. Blech!!

First, a shot of various structures strewn about on my cutting mat. I had to do surgery on the forward-most frame to make room for the air scoop to fit in. The scoop itself is a complex shape made from eight parts. The front three cowl rings did not line up properly, which required some follow-up surgery later.

cat36.thumb.jpg.226c9d5217029542efcee4d3365646ea.jpg

You'll note that I opted to use the flat, printed engine cylinder piece rather than make the individual cylinders. Based on how difficult it was to make everything come together, this was probably a smart decision.

So, here's the finished nose section. I had to do some additional nips, tucks, fills , and touch-ups to get this to look half-way decent.

cat37.thumb.jpg.663649c6ed73e27fd707665b89f0bda4.jpg

And here it is after gluing it to the fuselage. I noticed just now that the front of the cowl got a little deformed during the mating of the fuselage sections, so now I'll be off to fix that.

cat38.thumb.jpg.bbf8f28460dadd15500cbbb7192808c6.jpg

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I probably shouldn't have looked at pictures of actual Hellcats just now, because now I'm seeing that the scoop on the model is all wrong, but I swear that's the best I could come up with based on the diagrams, and I can't see how it could have been done differently with the parts on hand. 😕  I swear my next airplane will be either a Halinski or a Kartonowa Kolekcja kit,

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

21 hours ago, ccoyle said:

I had to do some additional nips, tucks, fills , and touch-ups to get this to look half-way decent.

Once mated with the fuselage, from here it looks full-way decent.

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Brief update: I started work on the propeller hub. The diagrams appear to include different options for this, so I have to kind of guess at which parts to use.

cat39.jpg.75cc40324874a0416378deeed03a5b60.jpg

On the far right we have an engine cover, which is the only three-dimensional part of the engine that will be included in this build. It is a large petal structure. Normally I dread petal structures, because they are difficult to get right, but my new dapping tool set was immensely helpful for this chore. I'm pleased with the result.

In the middle is the "hub," which is a long strip rolled into a tight cylinder around a plastic rod. On the left is the template for sanding the hub down to the proper shape. I chucked the rod into my Dremel tool and hit the 'on' switch -- and the rod promptly snapped off at the base of the hub. That happened last night and resulted in the immediate closing up of the shop for the night. Today I drilled out the broken rod and replaced it with a steel rod. I have shaped the hub (liberally stiffened with thin CA) and am now in the process of painting it. I will post another update when I get the blades added.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Okay, so no finished propeller yet, but I am slowly making progress on it. What I have learned so far is that this NOT a kit I would recommend for non-Polish speakers. Like I said earlier, there appears to be two different ways to build the propeller hub, and no hint is given in the diagrams about why or whether to use one over the other. The ring that holds the three blades is designed like nothing I have ever seen in a kit before, and this one part alone has been somewhat of a nightmare to build. I also discovered that some of the rolled paper parts are included in the 1 mm laser-cut frames set (?!?),which means that no one bothered to separate the printed structural elements into those that would normally require lamination (e.g. actual frames) versus those that don't (e.g. parts to be rolled). This partially explains why I seem to have more than the usual number of parts left over.

One more ambiguity that must be dealt with (and the one that explains why I am even at my computer at this moment) is how the propeller blades should be attached to the hub. Of all the diagrams and illustrations in the kit, not a single one provides a clear indication of whether the propeller should rotate clockwise or counterclockwise, and whether the Hamilton Standard logo goes on the front of the blade or rear. So, I'm off to search photos.

Thanks, GPM. 🙄

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Found my answers already: logo in front (which I expected, but needed to confirm), and propeller rotates counterclockwise when viewed from front.

Also discovered that the hub assembly is not a good likeness of the real thing. 😑

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

So, I promised a shot of the finished propeller, so here it is. Yay.

cat40.thumb.jpg.b649cec15e040298d0cb02af262e6776.jpg

My joy upon completing this task was cut short once I started work on the canopy. The vacu-formed canopy has proved to be roughly 20% too large for the frames. 🙄  Are the frames too small, or the canopy too large? Yet more puzzles to solve for this kit. 😑

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

At this rate, I suspect you'll be bald by the time the kit is finished.  Sounds like a real hair-puller.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Props look great, but the hub? Looks like it's for an inline engine.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

7 hours ago, Canute said:

Props look great, but the hub? Looks like it's for an inline engine.

Chris mentions above the likeness has been simplified, from just behind the hub where the propeller root clamps are. That’s maybe why it looks “in line” to you. Added a picture of my 1/24 Cat prop for comparison- I had the luxury of a plastic moulding for mine and only had to paint it! 🤣

51274F1C-FE27-4E4F-A55A-5ECCFA79DDCD.jpeg

My prop knowledge is limited. I'm a jet guy. 😄

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

A very interesting project Chris. I never build a cardboard model and your Hellcat looks absolutely great and appetizing. With the hub, I have to go with Andrew, the conical part doesn't look right.
I built an Eduard 1/48 plastic Hellcat in the same livery last year and the hub looks like this.

IMG_8847.JPG.543c9bc8f176664a50e9d48a6ad59787.JPG

IMG_8854.JPG.1f4e962227fba8442071b700b361f8b4.JPG

IMG_8883.JPG.99b413bbe7641834e200f6efc090ad14.JPG

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

I nearly forgot, that I made some photos of the real thing some years ago in Chino.

P1070148.thumb.JPG.49184bbb608c962554bf5ad28eba660d.JPG

P1070156.thumb.JPG.5f65a1f9e145e6e3e2ab296bdbe1a791.JPG

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

Thanks for the photos, gentlemen, but I already knew that the blade clamp portion of the hub was not a good likeness of the real thing. It's just one of several features of the kit that do not match up well with the original. It's kind of annoying, actually -- if I wasn'tbuilding this kit for a friend, it might have already wound up in the pile of Misfit Models. But I will muddle along. BTW, more faithful card renditions of these blade assemblies w/o spinners do exist in other kits, but they are also substantially more complex, as you might imagine.

BTW #2: Doc, your photos make me sad -- because they reinforce how bad the air intake portion of the cowl on this kit is. 😜

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

I built an Eduard 1/48 plastic Hellcat in the same livery last year and the hub looks like this.

Yep, that's a Hamilton standard geared hub not designed for a spinner.... totally different look....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

34 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Thanks for the photos, gentlemen, but I already knew that the blade clamp portion of the hub was not a good likeness of the real thing. It's just one of several features of the kit that do not match up well with the original. It's kind of annoying, actually -- if I wasn't building this kit for a friend, it might have already wound up in the pile of Misfit Models. But I will muddle along. BTW, more faithful card renditions of these blade assemblies w/o spinners do exist in other kits, but they are also substantially more complex, as you might imagine.

BTW #2: Doc, your photos make me sad -- because they reinforce how bad the air intake portion of the cowl on this kit is. 😜

Well you knew the reputation of GPM going in brother... They don't always adhere to scale fidelity, definitely a step below Halinsky and several others... Sad...

But your part is excellent, a shame theirs isn't...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

40 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Yes, I didn't want to mention the shape of the air intake. But in all you will have a nice model in the end, with your super clean way to build. Like my better half use to say: 'leave it, love it or change it' ;).
About the hub, to my knowledge all the Pratt & Whitney driven planes which are air cooled, do not sport a spinner, which would reduce the cooling effect.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

I may have hit upon a possible solution to the issues I'm having with this kit. Stay tuned . . .

That’s not fair. 😆

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

I may have hit upon a possible solution to the issues I'm having with this kit. Stay tuned . . .

I hope it doesn't involve a fireplace.  In spite of the shortcomings you pointed out, it looks really good.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Quick update -- wings and stabilizers attached to fuselage. I'm still impressed by the aircraft's sheer size. The model is a bit over 11 in. in length and has an almost 16 in. wingspan. I couldn't clear away enough clutter off my workbench to make room for this shot, so I had to move the 'Cat to a different table.

cat41.thumb.jpg.b5d459db26a71da3c7b3665ac715aa22.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco