USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

I would like to apologize to the members of MSW for my somewhat abrupt behavior over the last day or so.  In addition, I apologize to Chuck for any difficulties this may have caused.  He and I have been in contact, via PM and I hope at some point he sees fit to return to MSW administration.

We are, in fact, of the same mind.  This site exists for the purpose of model shipbuilding discussion while, at the same time, leaving room for a certain degree of so-called off topic comments essential to establishing personal relationships.  Others may agree or not depending on their own outlook.  But in my opinion we have long been tolerant of one another in order to have a vibrant, harmonious site.  Somehow, lines were drawn and we became divided.

This is not why we came here.

I intend to return to 'active duty', welcoming any and all commentary to my logs with the proviso that we keep things somewhat more focused than in the past.  I thank all those who intervened positively during this episode and hope that those who chose to leave will return to MSW.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Very well said, Augie.  I hope everyone will read this.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

YESssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Augie,

You are a gracious and honorable man. Thank you for your character and example. I am so very happy you are back :) :) :)

With Great Admiration,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Augie,

I am so glad to read that you are not leaving us.  You are clearly a man of considerable honour and character and I respect you all the more for your post above.  i look forward to the resumption of your log and the continuation of our friendship.

I'm glad you decided to continue.......I respect your position and your experience as a modeler.   if I in any way,  added to your woe, I give my apology to you,  and will moderate myself in the future.  that is the best anyone can do to help the situation.......the rest is to just let it dissipate,  and get back to what we enjoy the most.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Augie, I've been away for a day, opened my e-mails this morning to find there has been a bit of trouble. What ever has happened, I'm glad to see you have returned, (from where) but I will as long as you are sending in your build log, continue to add the to the one I've already sent you. Thanks to you and everyone who helps us fairly new builders.

Edited by Jimbob

Best wishes

Jimbob (Richard)

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.

Great hearing from everyone.

For those of you wondering what Jimbob mentioned about my build log, several weeks ago he sent me a document wherein he is able to go through a build log and distill it down into a neat, concise package of photos and relevant comments.  It's actually quite spectacular and reminds me of a professional magazine article on 'How to Build Model XXX'.  He is obviously very talented, indeed, when it comes to these issues.  I was hoping at the time he might submit a sample to MSW as a sort of trial balloon.  But that, of course, is his decision.

Perhaps an interested Moderator might get in contact with him.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Well Augie, just want to echo the sentiment of you sticking around - very glad to hear it!!

And that document maker you mentioned sounds like an awesome idea!!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

I like that idea...I ask Jimbob to perhaps contact Mark (mtaylor) with this information....I don't have enough computer knowledge to be able to make heads or tales of it, but Mark would understand.

Now, back to building....I want to see some new updates!!!!!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Great hearing from everyone.

For those of you wondering what Jimbob mentioned about my build log, several weeks ago he sent me a document wherein he is able to go through a build log and distill it down into a neat, concise package of photos and relevant comments.  It's actually quite spectacular and reminds me of a professional magazine article on 'How to Build Model XXX'.  He is obviously very talented, indeed, when it comes to these issues.  I was hoping at the time he might submit a sample to MSW as a sort of trial balloon.  But that, of course, is his decision.

Perhaps an interested Moderator might get in contact with him.

it is some lovely work, i have a copy of my work now in this format, very professional

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

So, you send me a pm regarding your mishap....no excuse....I want to see pics of the tragedy as well, I think it will show others that even the most competent of builders have accidents...and this can be the perfect opportunity to show others how you overcome such adversity!

This forum is not just for the beautiful and exquisite, but for the real world builders as well

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Ahoy Augie :D

PIC's, PIC's, PIC's

Friends don't hide things from friends, or was a driving thing, damn this old age

Edited by JPett

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Nope.  No photos of what a paint spill can do to your hull planking.  Be back when all is in Bristol fashion.

Edited by Augie

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

sorry to hear of the mishap.......I'm sure you will post when the problem is cleared up.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Augie,

Robbyn's right.  As painful as it must be, it will help other members to know what happens in real live builds.  Perhaps some 'before' and 'after' photos once you have everything shipshape again together with a brief explanation of how you fixed it would be helpful.

John

Oh Damn! Sorry to hear of the mishap mate, I have had many while building the Confed, mainly on the stern area though.

I'm sure you will get through it, I had to rip off hull planking more than once man, look forward to seeing more.

Ben

Thanks everyone.  I wasn't going to even mention it until Robbyn let the cat out.  Had to remove 14-15 rows of planks to port, all notched for sweep and gun ports.  Set to the task immediately so there was no time to think of photo documentation.  Actually, it will be fine....just a lot of do-over.  I'm getting really good at notches as the result.  The new ones are ''Buenos Notches" (sorry, couldn't resist).

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hahaha, likely excuse my friend...I call chicken!!! Too bad though you didn't take pics, I know there is a topic in here somewhere about accidents and how to recover from them. I found solace there, after cutting my own ports in the wrong place , it was great to see even some of the absolute best modelers make some drastic mistakes. The best part of that topic...it shows how the best modelers recover from those mistakes.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Good on you, Augie, for the repair and the pun.

Pity about the lack of pictures, but sometimes... hmm... maybe the forgetting was "intentional"???  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sick em Shaz

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

Augie,

Very sorry to hear of the mishap, but even more sorry that we won't get the whole photo-essay on how to recover from a major mishap. As others have said, that would have been both beneficial and heartening for the less experienced.

I look forward to seeing the completed repair job anyway. :)

For those who might be interested,  the latest update of this log, professionally assembled,  is now available from Richard (Jimbob).  If you would like to see a copy, email him at email removed by moderator to prevent spamming.

He can truly work some magic putting these together.

Edited by Anja
if you want to share telephone numbers or email addresses, please send a personal message. Non-members can read this as well.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Ouch! I've always had a hard time taking pictures when things go wrong ( as they do to all of us). I have no doubt that you will correct the problem and we can all enjoy the "after" photos. All the best. 

Bob

Augie...Sorry to hear about your unintentional paint job. I look forward to the build resuming. Good to know even the best have their off days. It makes everyone look human! I'm sure the Confed will still be a prize ship when she is completed!

-Craig

It's never too late to turn the tide...

Current Build- King of the Mississippi- Artesania Latina- 1:80 Scale

Whoops, my bad on posting that address.  No problem.  You can contact Jimbob right through MSW and he can then email you privately.  Just go to his profile and send him a message.  I've spoken with him and he'll field your inquiries that way.

Sorry Richard.......and ANJA!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976