Hawker Tempest Mk. V by Danstream - FINISHED - Eduard - 1:48 scale

9 hours ago, Danstream said:

As said, not much to show. However, I finished another model I was working on and OC showed some interest in it, so, if you don't mind, I would like to propose few pictures of it. The subject is the small Italian tactical jet Fiat G.91 R and the kit is the very old Italeri/ESCI kit in 1:48 scale. This is a moody picture of it quickly taken on the sill of my window in a rainy day:

IMG_8348(1).thumb.JPG.949ca27f2ff2283d63b36e73e0b1843d.JPG

That photo is, IMHO, fantastic.   Looks to be the real thing sitting on the apron just after the rain has stopped.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

22 hours ago, mtaylor said:

That photo is, IMHO, fantastic.   Looks to be the real thing sitting on the apron just after the rain has stopped.

Thanks Mark! That's the reason I took that pictures. I had momentarily put the model on the sill and it looked so cool that I quickly took a picture of it.

21 hours ago, AJohnson said:

That is dedication to re-scribe all the raised panel lines, but I has paid off, great looking model. 

Thanks Andrew, I spent an awful lot of time with that model, I also riveted it, enlarged the diameter of the rear fuselage, added new vortex vanes, etc., etc.

Practically there wasn't a single piece of the kit that I didn't not scratched or modified. But at the end of the day, I was quite satisfied with the results.

Dan

Edited by Danstream

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Back to my Tempest, I finished the office which took some time because composed by many small parts and photoetched included in the kit. Cradle made of tubes, typical of Hawker of that period (stressed skin, frames and stringers from the tail to the cockpit rear bulkhead, tubular truss for the cockpit to firewall and engine bearer made also with a tubular truss).

IMG_8368.thumb.JPG.f6115ed333133395ff45a92176eca7fb.JPG

IMG_8369.thumb.JPG.5f51c0bf23e7021f4ab55275524597a0.JPG

Unfortunately, I forgot to thin the edges of the seat which are obviously too thick. Now it is too late and I will have to live with that. Then, the nice photoetched IP made of five parts:

IMG_8370.thumb.JPG.99f4b791dac87ea160bd3b5d3c791554.JPG

IMG_8371.thumb.JPG.f2d0131513fc645d060f93e9bb01f643.JPG

(excuse my big fingers dirty of paint). The cockpit posed inside the fuselage:

IMG_8373.thumb.JPG.308ac5c5d4b2dd75c2819a298bb70a7e.JPG

Probably, not much will be seen once the fuselage is closed up. This is a dry fit:

IMG_8376.thumb.JPG.6554e574e883b59028490266ecafe83d.JPG

That is all for now, preparing the chin radiator that needs to be included when closing the halves.

Cheers,

Dan

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

On 3/3/2023 at 9:13 AM, ccoyle said:

I'm really trying hard to resist adding this kit to my already overburdened card model stash -- your build log isn't helping! 😆

Hawker Tempest V (Halinski MM 1/2013), 1:33 paper model, maybe good for RC  1:16 conversion. | Бумажная модель, Военный самолет, Бумажные модели

I may have caved in to temptation on this kit -- plus a few others. 🤫

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Looking really good Dan.  Fantastic job on the cockpit.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

I may have caved in to temptation on this kit -- plus a few others. 🤫

Seems reasonable as I remember an old saying about "it may not come your way again".

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

51 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

"it may not come your way again"

Exactly! If my wife asks about it, I'll steer her to you, Mark!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

39 minutes ago, CDW said:

Its just a rumor?

Yes. I might have purchased this kit -- and a P-47D-11, Curtiss SB2C, and Fw-190 Sturmbock. Maybe. Possibly. 😬

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

15 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Yes. I might have purchased this kit -- and a P-47D-11, Curtiss SB2C, and Fw-190 Sturmbock. Maybe. Possibly. 😬

Can't wait not to see your logs you won't be doing😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Dear all, I am not very responsive in these days, because I am busy with my 'other' work and I will be also busy with repainting the rooms of the house (which FS no. I am going to use, you might wonder). Hence, my modeling output rate, which was anyway very slow, will go down to zero for the next couple of weeks.

I will continue to read about your progress though.

Best regards,

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I resumed my Tempest and made some little progress. I bought the Eduard resin for central circular radiator which really is a fine addition to this nice kit.

IMG_0011.thumb.jpg.a1b6ee9495559c633890475b873cc5a9.jpg

Cockpit completed and all the necessary elements were painted and added to the half fuselage.

IMG_0012.thumb.jpg.55f7f406dc59b8eaf7f6c271dd3d9e1a.jpg

IMG_0014.thumb.jpg.e244fe3ab63050ade9e989c8461152a7.jpg

Finally the halves went together with no problems:

IMG_0017.thumb.jpg.c2fd60fdd51b1b49fc71c4701d534619.jpg

That's all for now, wing will come next.

Cheers,

Dan

13 hours ago, Javlin said:

Looking good Dan these crates look like the English version of the P-47 ...Brutes!!;)

Thanks Javlin. Indeed, lot of power, lot of striking weapons. 

I went on with assembling the upper halves to the lower part. Note the nice details of the landing gear wells. The trailing edge of each wing is part of the upper half. While this solution gives a neat trailing edge, the junction line, which is now on the lower surface, needs some care.

IMG_0020.thumb.jpg.8459d78dc291b82601138cf0374593cb.jpg

Here, the right half is still untreated, while the left received some Tamiya putty to conceal the junction line. After sanding, this is the result:

IMG_0023.thumb.jpg.4e25d14976d5b77989fe10dddfa56190.jpg

I restored the rivet lines that were obliterated with the tool shown above. Other minor filling were required on the forward parts of the fuselage, while the rear part is just fine with the glue oozed from the junction which will require only some sanding.

IMG_0022.thumb.jpg.f201b06972184b5a6f52a1ccc731f55f.jpg

Inside the air intake of the chin radiator, there was a tiny gap left which I filled with water based Vallejo filler. This is ideal for these small corrections which are in areas difficult to access. In fact, you can simply clean off the excess with a wet cotton swab without the need of any sanding.

IMG_0021.thumb.jpg.bd456ae044b4ddf86bc18dabe952404f.jpg

Once the wing was finished, I glued it on the fuselage. However, there is a problem with the junction on its lower surface, close to my thumb in the picture below:

IMG_0024.thumb.jpg.a423d3f112a6aa3e2d543e9339e3dd62.jpg

The problem is with the surface of the split flap which should be an uninterrupted rectangular part. Instead it is crossed by the fuselage-wing junction lines. I will address this detail next, by filling the gaps with stretched sprue wires.

To the next instalment,

kind regards,

Dan

@CDW, yes the molding of the kit is really good, it is a pleasure to look at. Perhaps, the tri-dimensionality of the details might be a tad overdone, but it looks extremely good. The riveting tool is a 'RB Production - RB-T010' (https://www.aviationmegastore.com/en/modelling/rivet-r-mini-rivet-tool-rb-productions-rb-t010-90405.html)

It is quite cheap and works reasonably well. You have to use the tool head with a normal blade holder.

Kind regards,

Dan

7 hours ago, Danstream said:

The problem is with the surface of the split flap which should be an uninterrupted rectangular part. Instead it is crossed by the fuselage-wing junction lines.

I wonder why they did it that way, most kits make the full flaps integral with the bottom wing, easy fix I know, but it shouldn't be a fix at all.... Sure would complicate things if you wanted dropped flaps...

Not only the fill, you have to rescribe the rivet details.....

Sometimes I just don't understand the engineers that design the molds like this.... Makes no sense...

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

1 hour ago, Egilman said:

I wonder why they did it that way, most kits make the full flaps intergral with the bottom wing, easy fix I know, but it shouldn't be a fix at all.... Sure would complicate things if you wanted dropped flaps...

Not only the fill, you have to rescribe the rivet details.....

Sometimes I just don't understand the engineers that design the molds like this.... Makes no sense...

Possibly some sort of management decision due to budget constraints on the design team?

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

@Egilman, @mtaylor, I don't know the reason for splitting the parts like that. I could think that that might easy the design of the molds or avoid problems of production. Anyway, in one of their aftermarket lines, Eduard offers a flap replacement for those who wants to pose the flap deployed. This flap is a metallic, rectangular panel and the molded parts on the kit parts need to be cut and removed. I might consider that for the next Tempest (I have also a Tempest mk II to build, which I would like to finish with a High Speed Silver livery).

Kind regards,

Dan

Edited by Danstream

Looking really great Dan!

I think Barracuda makes some replacement parts that specifically addresses some of the odder design choices.  For example, if I remember correctly, they made some replacement flaps because the way Eduard designed theirs, a lot of the detail had to be sanded off.  Same thing with the Eduard Spitfire - Barracuda makes a bunch of parts to avoid things like seams and other things.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

On 4/10/2023 at 9:06 AM, Danstream said:

the rear part is just fine with the glue oozed from the junction which will require only some sanding.

The better/best  way to fill a seam

21 hours ago, mtaylor said:

budget constraints on the design team?

You mean they fired the A-Team :D

11 hours ago, Danstream said:

which I would like to finish with a High Speed Silver livery

That would be saasweeet I almost traveled that road with the Tigercat on the table now just because I have never seen one before and the excuse would be "it has hit the paint booth yet".Nice work all around Dan I have the Revell/SpecialHobby 1/32 in the stash.

Hi, just to show you my progress on the split flap repair. This is how it looks after filling with sprue, filler, engraving new lines and rivets:

IMG_0031.thumb.jpg.2877982f9277d5eb351f29b359128b52.jpg

Actually, it is not easy to see the result, hence I sprayed some Surfacer to get a grey, uniform finish:

IMG_0035.thumb.jpg.44a3317f169e796c789432d5c3fa7a5b.jpg

Getting there, but the picture close up revealed few blemishes that I still need to address (I also made an incorrect rivet line).

Best regards,

Dan

Nicely done! Can’t say that I see any blemishes, but it’s your eye that matters most! Kinda nice to see that even some Eduard kits do require a little bit of extra tinkering too!

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Geese, I'm going to have to up my game when I return to the bench.... Simple plastic hacking ain't gonna cut it anymore....

Beautiful work Brother... Beautiful work...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

life keeps me away from the hobby room, hence I have only few progress to show. I have completed the assembly of the airframe and glued the last left fishplate. Here, the wing root junction filled with a very thin sprue wire.

IMG_0038.thumb.jpg.157fb9dcdb1e56ab2ac522c0d7ee61dc.jpg

The nice interior cockpit will be practically invisible when the last closing part will be glued on. The tail surfaces were completed with the controls in their neutral position. I moved only the trim tabs slightly.

IMG_0039.thumb.jpg.0393fb8ad63f9bf0723288feb6f76645.jpg

Finally, masking with the provided masks for the transparent parts and with kleenex tissues for the rest in preparation of the primer was also completed.

IMG_0059.thumb.jpg.e38843c712101380570636d7f083c36a.jpg

IMG_0060.thumb.jpg.a1d95ef58a22e23dfb9916bd242d9baa.jpg

After spraying a black primer, a black beauty emerged:

IMG_0061.thumb.jpg.773f555f017f68fbe6dfbab47a4613ed.jpgIMG_0063.thumb.jpg.86c11c966802d3b9329b245349b1b15a.jpg

I will have to fix few blemishes before progressing with the paint, but the paneling and riveting is very noticeably good. 

I am progressing slow because of my work that after about twenty years will bring me again in the States, in Florida, on the second half of June. I am very excited about that.

That is all for now,

best regards,

Dan

On 5/14/2023 at 7:16 AM, Danstream said:

Hi all,

life keeps me away from the hobby room, hence I have only few progress to show. I have completed the assembly of the airframe and glued the last left fishplate. Here, the wing root junction filled with a very thin sprue wire.

IMG_0038.thumb.jpg.157fb9dcdb1e56ab2ac522c0d7ee61dc.jpg

The nice interior cockpit will be practically invisible when the last closing part will be glued on. The tail surfaces were completed with the controls in their neutral position. I moved only the trim tabs slightly.

IMG_0039.thumb.jpg.0393fb8ad63f9bf0723288feb6f76645.jpg

Finally, masking with the provided masks for the transparent parts and with kleenex tissues for the rest in preparation of the primer was also completed.

IMG_0059.thumb.jpg.e38843c712101380570636d7f083c36a.jpg

IMG_0060.thumb.jpg.a1d95ef58a22e23dfb9916bd242d9baa.jpg

After spraying a black primer, a black beauty emerged:

IMG_0061.thumb.jpg.773f555f017f68fbe6dfbab47a4613ed.jpgIMG_0063.thumb.jpg.86c11c966802d3b9329b245349b1b15a.jpg

I will have to fix few blemishes before progressing with the paint, but the paneling and riveting is very noticeably good. 

I am progressing slow because of my work that after about twenty years will bring me again in the States, in Florida, on the second half of June. I am very excited about that.

That is all for now,

best regards,

Dan

She looks real nice in primer, Dan.

Where will you be in Florida, what city?

Hi all,

few more steps with the Tempest. I started to lay down the first layer of sea medium gray on the bottom in a semi-random pattern to create tonal variations.

IMG_0064.thumb.jpg.d6e3d4342e6cf83423f85ff149062647.jpg

I realized that it is better to put on the various lights at this stage (actually, perhaps it would have been better to install them before closing the wings). I sanded them flushed with the wing surface and polished them to restore their transparency.

After that, I switched to the white areas that will be required for the invasion stripes. I chose one of the scheme with the full invasion stripes which, although more complex to paint, is in my view more spectacular.

IMG_0065.thumb.jpg.7c5be863682438017d0ceb7593728dc3.jpg

I wanted a slight off-white hue, so I added a bit of grey to the white paint and I kept the layer transparent so to let some of the black to be seen through (although the effect is not very noticeable in the pictures).

IMG_0067.thumb.jpg.40767ab9aeaae560953c7d356cb60d54.jpg

As said earlier, the surface details of this kit are very good and this can be noticed on the painted surfaces:

IMG_0069.thumb.jpg.9e6a99a05abc8f7e7c8cb376146debf8.jpg

However, the kit has also some small drawback that I discovered during the assembly, but overall I am quite pleased with it.

On 5/19/2023 at 2:11 AM, Javlin said:

Looks good Dan I have this kit coming tomorrow.;)

Great, you will enjoy it, when you start with the cockpit, pay attention with the truss structure of the cockpit, it can break just looking at it.

On 5/19/2023 at 3:56 AM, CDW said:

Where will you be in Florida, what city?

Hi Craig, I will be located at (or close to) Cape Canaveral.

Cheers,

Dan

On 5/20/2023 at 7:24 AM, Danstream said:

Hi all,

few more steps with the Tempest. I started to lay down the first layer of sea medium gray on the bottom in a semi-random pattern to create tonal variations.

IMG_0064.thumb.jpg.d6e3d4342e6cf83423f85ff149062647.jpg

I realized that it is better to put on the various lights at this stage (actually, perhaps it would have been better to install them before closing the wings). I sanded them flushed with the wing surface and polished them to restore their transparency.

After that, I switched to the white areas that will be required for the invasion stripes. I chose one of the scheme with the full invasion stripes which, although more complex to paint, is in my view more spectacular.

IMG_0065.thumb.jpg.7c5be863682438017d0ceb7593728dc3.jpg

I wanted a slight off-white hue, so I added a bit of grey to the white paint and I kept the layer transparent so to let some of the black to be seen through (although the effect is not very noticeable in the pictures).

IMG_0067.thumb.jpg.40767ab9aeaae560953c7d356cb60d54.jpg

As said earlier, the surface details of this kit are very good and this can be noticed on the painted surfaces:

IMG_0069.thumb.jpg.9e6a99a05abc8f7e7c8cb376146debf8.jpg

Very nice!