Hawker Tempest Mk. V by Danstream - FINISHED - Eduard - 1:48 scale

Dear all,

I'd like to share with you my next build of the mighty, pugnacious looking Hawker Tempest Mk. V.

IMG_8298.thumb.JPG.dcc19a113c1d405b4c6e71f1217bf2bc.JPG

The kit is the awesome Eduard new tool, last generation plastic, in its 'Profipac' edition which I got as a gift to myself for the past Christmas. The great artwork displays one of these Tempest decorated with invasion stripes in full action against a German V1 over the British countryside. I could simply not resist getting it (actually I also got a 'Limited Edition' Tempest Mk II also by Eduard, but it will be the subject of a later build). 

IMG_8299.thumb.JPG.6339e7957a90df520f001aaee5f37457.JPG

The box is packed with high quality parts to which I added few Eduard's aftermarket extras. I find the level of detail of the surfaces fantastic perhaps equaled only by the latest Tamiya models.

IMG_8300.thumb.JPG.ff57e8726231d59f792f5bf6b4dcbcf0.JPG

I don't know if, once enlarged 48 times, it would look right, but, for me, it will make a fantastic miniature rendition of a real airframe construction.

IMG_8301.thumb.JPG.ceb48c03f90465768c2337f5aea6a07d.JPG

The Tempest was a predecessor of the Sea Fury, the model of which I have built some time ago.

I can't wait to start it although, as usual for me, I am afraid it will not be a quick one. I hope it might be of interest to some of you,

best regards,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

And me.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I too will tag along.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, shipman said:

Shame there isn't a separate Sabre engine, one of the few redeeming features of this aeroplane.

That would be something.....

deliveryService.jpg.df118f8c9014078ebecefaa3f9230194.jpg

The Napier Sabre, one heck of an engine, not a Merlin by any stretch but eventually became a good solid powerplant although underpowered compared to it's contemporaries... the Merlin and R2800...

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-media/NASM-A19670111000-NASM2014-05108

CMK makes the Sabre Engine for the Eduard kit....

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/cmk-4393-tempest-napier-sabre-engine-upper-half-eduard--1242698

CMK also makes the full engine as a generic AM set.... (in 1/48th scale)

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/cmk-4215-napier-sabre-mkii--113397

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I'm down for this one my friend....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

10 hours ago, king derelict said:

One of my favourite aircraft. I'm definitely in for this. Looking forward to your masterly treatment of the subject. And hoping to learn some ideas for my own Typhoon kits.

Alan

Yep Typhoon and Tempest are some of my favourites, I’ve built Airfix’s 1/24 “bubble top” and have a 1/24 “Car-door” in stock. They do a reasonable job of the Sabre engine, but if could be super detailed. 

Mark me up for this one, Dan.

I'm reading a novel right now, on my Kindle, about Tiffies supporting the invasion - Fighter Fury by Russell Sullman.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

20 hours ago, shipman said:

Shame there isn't a separate Sabre engine, one of the few redeeming features of this aeroplane.

Not sure I have got the right sense of your line. Is it a criticism to the real aeroplane? Or a deficiency of the model? In the former case, we can do very little about it and anyway it is arguably difficult to get a good combat plane without a great engine. In the latter case, see the post from @Egilman listing possible options. Anyway, it is not my intention to include the engine. I will be satisfied with rendering the feel of the original, buttoned up airframe. If you are interested, I will be glad to have you following.

Kind regards,

Dan

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

Thank you all, for your replies. It will be great to have you following and keeping a good eye on me. 

Cheers,

Dan

I'm pulling up a chair also Dan.  As you stated, very nice detailing in the moldings. 

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

I'm in for this one.  I have the Royal Class two-box version - looks like a great kit by Eduard.  If you're into that sort of thing, there is a lot of good aftermarket out there.  Eduard makes an incredible engine as well as some other items.  Barracuda and Vector have some correction sets too for this plane.

Some pictures of the Eduard engine (Eduard 648417) - 81 resin parts, plus there is some PE!  Was a big driver for me to pick up the kit.

image.thumb.jpeg.db4c13a8695fbaba25e0f085186e0b3c.jpeg

image.thumb.png.c5d38387601e0a89447a926279c34618.png

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

although I am quite enthusiastic about this kit, I had not the time to do much. I am posting few picture just to show that the build had started. This is a preliminary dry fit which showed a very good precision of the main parts:

IMG_8325.thumb.JPG.28efb372f218ff41c5858019eb84f125.JPG

IMG_8327.thumb.JPG.0bdcc1deaffc092f7713b829f57495d8.JPG

I am working on the cockpit parts, but I also started a subject that the instructions defers to a later stage. It is about gluing a number of fishplates which stiffens the tail assembly of the real aircraft. I thought that it would be easier to do that with the fuselage halves flat on the table. The work is very tedious and I can do only few of them at the time. Eduard provided the fishplates in the photoetched fret (thoughtfully, they provided them in excess of what is strictly needed).

IMG_8328.thumb.JPG.df2fe0b9b6f5dd369fb86bc66d7f7e8e.JPG

So far, I glued on only half of them (I only glued every second one) and I still need to complete it. I used a thick CA glue which fills in the irregularities of the surfaces and I bought the tweezers showed in the picture that were really useful to position the plates. I degreased the plastic with IPA and activated the back surface of the plates (which is a fancy way to say that I sanded the back of the fret with a very fine grit 🙂).

Not much, but this is all for now,

greetings to all,

Dan

I love your G91  in background shot.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

14 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

I love your G91  in background shot.

Thanks OC, I spent quite a lot of time and work on the very old and inaccurate Italeri kit of the G.91, but I was committed to get a decent replica out of it, being my memories (related to aviation) as a kid associated to this small jet. Furthermore, I started working as a young engineer, more than 37 years ago, in the factory in Turin, in Italy, where these planes were designed and built. At that time, the company was called Aeritalia, not Fiat anymore, and G. Gabrielli, the chief designer of Fiat (the 'G' in the name) had retired, but documents of the plane were still around. If you are interested, once finished, I will post here some photos of my G.91.

Kind regards,

Dan

Edited by Danstream

I'm really trying hard to resist adding this kit to my already overburdened card model stash -- your build log isn't helping! 😆

Hawker Tempest V (Halinski MM 1/2013), 1:33 paper model, maybe good for RC  1:16 conversion. | Бумажная модель, Военный самолет, Бумажные модели

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

34 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

your build log isn't helping!

{chuckle} resistance is futile.....

Quote:

20 minutes ago, Javlin said:

Like walking into that LHS just for supplies and I walked with the old Hase 1/32 Hellcat....futile.:dontknow:

Hey, I just got the Cabelas/Bass Pro Shop spring sale circular in the mail yesterday, and after perusing the prices for bass boats and gear I commented to my wife that I actually have a modestly priced hobby.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

Hey, I just got the Cabelas/Bass Pro Shop spring sale circular in the mail yesterday, and after perusing the prices for bass boats and gear I commented to my wife that I actually have a modestly priced hobby.

The biggest bass you will ever see were caught by poor boys in Florida fishing deep inside the brush and reeds using a cane pole, live shiners (for bait), and a large wash tub as a "boat". And I am not joking about it. For real. Monster bass. That's where you catch them, where average fisherman can't/won't go.

Hi all,
not great progresses to show, but many small parts that need some preparation. Finally, I completed gluing the plates on the tail, only one remaining, but that will go once the fuselage is closed.
image.thumb.jpeg.0369a33f6fa4aa89f9d899a8a2010f1b.jpeg

Interiors received some colors (XF-71 interior green and XF-69 NATO black):

IMG_8352.thumb.JPG.119d9e0a0f755003120a2222fbab537d.JPG

Pedals made by folded PE and black wash applied:

image.thumb.jpeg.6ba617dd34fbba9e7a75e63a7656f74a.jpeg

As said, not much to show. However, I finished another model I was working on and OC showed some interest in it, so, if you don't mind, I would like to propose few pictures of it. The subject is the small Italian tactical jet Fiat G.91 R and the kit is the very old Italeri/ESCI kit in 1:48 scale. This is a moody picture of it quickly taken on the sill of my window in a rainy day:

IMG_8348(1).thumb.JPG.949ca27f2ff2283d63b36e73e0b1843d.JPG

The kit was with raised panels and I rescribed the entire airframe. I addition, I made numerous modifications to some incorrect features (but I did not corrected all of them).

IMG_8358.thumb.JPG.6d7a31c47e81f38e62c3226ffbf6913e.JPG

IMG_8367.thumb.JPG.f4e6bf73f894b1179919ba4020fc2ad9.JPG

With a blue background showing the nice lines of this aircraft typical design of the early '60s. By the way, the colors used for the early NATO camouflage are exactly the same ones that I am going to use on my Tempest:

IMG_8355(1).thumb.JPG.1ca36aa57cfd8d76cce03bab77c486d5.JPGIMG_8357(1).thumb.JPG.5357fabe49f7b7c2e8ce479f8f009870.JPG

I hope you like my model. Now I will continue full time on my Tempest.

Best regards,

Dan

Really fine work on the Fiat jet Dan!  Re-scribing must be a somewhat tedious and nerve-wracking process, but your results are excellent. I would be on edge about slipping and laying down a nasty scratch.  Beautiful paint work as always.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Indeed, Re-scribing is a real chore, usually I do the strict necessary to restore panel lines after filling and sanding of junctions, but this time I re-scribed everything and corrected some inaccurate paneling pattern. In many cases, I had to redo lines because slipping and scratches, not always l had luck at the first attempt.

Thank you for your compliments,

Dan

8 hours ago, Danstream said:

Hi all,
not great progresses to show, but many small parts that need some preparation. Finally, I completed gluing the plates on the tail, only one remaining, but that will go once the fuselage is closed.
image.thumb.jpeg.0369a33f6fa4aa89f9d899a8a2010f1b.jpeg

Interiors received some colors (XF-71 interior green and XF-69 NATO black):

IMG_8352.thumb.JPG.119d9e0a0f755003120a2222fbab537d.JPG

Pedals made by folded PE and black wash applied:

image.thumb.jpeg.6ba617dd34fbba9e7a75e63a7656f74a.jpeg

As said, not much to show. However, I finished another model I was working on and OC showed some interest in it, so, if you don't mind, I would like to propose few pictures of it. The subject is the small Italian tactical jet Fiat G.91 R and the kit is the very old Italeri/ESCI kit in 1:48 scale. This is a moody picture of it quickly taken on the sill of my window in a rainy day:

IMG_8348(1).thumb.JPG.949ca27f2ff2283d63b36e73e0b1843d.JPG

The kit was with raised panels and I rescribed the entire airframe. I addition, I made numerous modifications to some incorrect features (but I did not corrected all of them).

IMG_8358.thumb.JPG.6d7a31c47e81f38e62c3226ffbf6913e.JPG

IMG_8367.thumb.JPG.f4e6bf73f894b1179919ba4020fc2ad9.JPG

With a blue background showing the nice lines of this aircraft typical design of the early '60s. By the way, the colors used for the early NATO camouflage are exactly the same ones that I am going to use on my Tempest:

IMG_8355(1).thumb.JPG.1ca36aa57cfd8d76cce03bab77c486d5.JPGIMG_8357(1).thumb.JPG.5357fabe49f7b7c2e8ce479f8f009870.JPG

I hope you like my model. Now I will continue full time on my Tempest.

Best regards,

Dan

That G91 looks Superb.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.