Macchi C.200 Saetta by ccoyle - FINISHED - Modelarstwo Kartonowe - 1/33 - CARD

ccoyle

Internal framing for the horizontal stabilizers added; skins cut out.

image.jpeg.74b922924576b4074b6a358bcfd6a173.jpeg

Scratch-made joiner strips added.

image.jpeg.420cdc41dec1b81eaec447c4e9771f18.jpeg

And voilà! Empennage completed.

image.jpeg.5fa969a482c6b011be59fba4b55965a6.jpeg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

This looks magical. The way you build these planes is incredible, Chris.

I guess, the great stuff about paper planes, is that you do not have to paint them (talking is a guy who is struggling with 50 years old decals, ruining the nice paint job...). I envy you at times.

Yves

28 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

is that you do not have to paint them

Which is part of the reason I choose to build in card. As much as I marvel at the realism achieved by some of our plastic modeler friends, I know it would take a long time and many less than satisfactory efforts to even approach that level of skill.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

The dorsal hump behind the cockpit is no walk in the park. If you look closely at the internal frames, you'll see that there's multiple curves and sharp angles. There were also no joiner strips in the kit, so I added some from 20# bond.

image.jpeg.d0ce4e63a6f5da3ed9cc5835cd1cee66.jpeg

I assembled the hump off the model.

image.jpeg.57489fc9a80c02248b99437af84c8a2c.jpeg

And here's the final result, which didn't turn out too bad IMO.

image.jpeg.fc39456e5b5db978f5fd8e183e42bccf.jpeg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

You might be not required to paint these models, but your margin for not marring the finish is absolutely nil.

Great work on the 'curvy' lines of this model (pun intended).

Cheers,

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Pretty impressive, Chris.  You are slowly eroding my resistance to card models ... oh dear, another rabbit hole .

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Here's something you don't like to see in your laser-cut frames set:

image.jpeg.f8c8da9dd93eccb372e42e314b6d9db9.jpeg

That's a lot of slop in that fit there (not glued yet), and it doesn't help that the kit has only a single wing-length spar, so there's further potential for misalignment inherent in the design. It's little things like this that signal the kit being a step down from say, oh -- a Halinski kit. But hey -- it's also much cheaper than a Halinski kit, so there's that.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Wing frames completed and skins prepped. You may notice that there are no joiner strips attached to the wing roots -- the wings are meant to be glued to the fuselage with butt joints. Seriously -- who does that? 🙄

image.thumb.jpeg.aab08396da153c34e8fdd6b5226ba071.jpeg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

11 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Wing frames completed

On a side note, I would consider the framing in this kit to be "moderately beefy", that is, better than no framing at all, but not as good as it could potentially be with the addition of a few more pieces. To illustrate what I mean, compare the Saetta framing to that of Halinski's Bf-109E-4 kit.

image.jpeg.e4ff9e3da439118bbc4faf276585eb00.jpeg image.thumb.jpeg.3ca1b067a6727cad821cb7ae804eef07.jpeg

It's a pretty stark contrast.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Your Macchi looks fantastic, Chris. It always amazes me to see, what great results you achieve with these card kits. I never tried one, but your logs are tempting, so maybe...

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

The wings are now skinned and ready to be glued to the fuselage. I added some sheathing to the wing frames to increase the gluing area, and I also sanded both wing roots and the fuselage to make the pending butt joints as tight as possible.

image.jpeg.38fa7c0a98816afff5e98890e603d5c6.jpeg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Looking good!

If you are concerned about the strength of the wing root joints, you could mod the kit and either dowel the wing roots with toothpicks or just pin them with sewing pins.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

32 minutes ago, GrandpaPhil said:

If you are concerned about the strength of the wing root joints,

Actually, I was concerned about the near-impossibility of getting the skins of adjacent sections aligned properly with butt joints. I find the seams of butt joints to be problematic at best. Anyways, the wings are on now!

image.jpeg.2535ddbf1c1ac253ccbe34db07c50171.jpeg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Got a few more bits added today.

The kit includes laser-cut gun barrels with cooling jackets.

image.jpeg.b7cd1cccf7b8d21af88435274f4eacd7.jpeg

These weren't the easiest tubes to roll, but I managed. After cutting out the recesses for the guns and installing them, I next added the wingtip navigation lights and gunsight reflector, then commenced with the windscreen.

image.jpeg.b402c6e8c3b5602b91ac944847954a51.jpeg

The kit didn't come with a pre-molded canopy, so the windscreen had to be built up with separate panels. I still haven't found the perfect clear plastic for making canopies. In the past I have used overhead transparency film, which is too stiff. This time I tried using the transparent sleeve that the laser-cut gun barrels came in. This didn't prove wholly satisfactory, either -- too flimsy, in this case, but I made do with it, because I had no other options on hand. The finished panels are not perfectly flat, and that error shows up when light glints off of them, so the secret is to avoid viewing the model under bright lighting. 😬

This particular aircraft has a very odd "canopy" -- the sliding portion has only a single piece of glazing forward. To make the canopy, I started by adding the internal frame (there was no internal framing included for the windscreen), then layered on the glazing and external frame. The result is not terrible.

image.jpeg.b34bb6d443fd6e685b9de2bf679e0439.jpeg

image.jpeg.18b5404b5384b1a18bb42951d7f68b17.jpeg

And that's it for now.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Hi, the transparent looks good from here. It happens that often I need to use formal or semi-formal shirts for my work and often they come with a good quality optically smooth transparent cases which I keep aside when I found one. Also the transparent part that they typically insert below the collar to keep it in shape is generally optically good and a bit thicker than their transparent box. Just to say.

Nice work Chris. Your build makes the C.200 look graceful to my eyes, contrary to my previous opinions. I don't know which kind of canopy lids are you going to make, I am sure you already know it came with different styles that protected the pilot's to different degrees. All types were hinged along the cockpit sills and I don't think there were types that were sliding.

Kind regards,

Dan 

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

Okay, a little bit of good news, a little bit of not-quite-as-good news. I have the engine completed. As you may recall, I chose the median option, i.e., a printed rear bank of cylinders coupled with a 3D front row. It doesn't look terrible, even considering that I transposed the two box-like doohickeys (parts 4 and 5) on the top and bottom of the case -- oh, well. Since I'm not building a full engine, I'm also not going to attempt any super-detailing like I did for the Wildcat. Don't worry about the funny color on the front of the case -- that will be almost entirely hidden by the propeller eventually.

I also made the main cowling ring. The ring just happened to fit precisely around a bottle of craft paint, so by dampening the ring and allowing it to dry while clamped around a bottle, I achieved a very nice circular ring.

image.jpeg.215600300a3b1c959bc8bc7c5f8c7016.jpeg

And now for the mildly annoying part. The printed rear cylinder bank and its laser-cut false bulkhead do not fit inside the cowling. I have already done two rounds of sanding on the bulkhead to get it to fit, but it's still too tight. I will have to work on this some more later this evening. UPDATE: It took five sanding passes in total to get it to fit.

That's all for now!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Chris  I still have the Spitfire kit and your instructional V-108 but haven't have the resolve to get started in this new phase of our hobby. Following you will help me build enough confidence to carry on. Your card models are exceptional.

Ras

Current builds:

Stern Paddle Wheeler ZULU-1916-1/48 scale

Previous builds:

Freccia Celeste-1927 350cc racing motorcycle-1:9 scale-Protar kit

Boeing B17F- 1/72 scale- Hasegawa kit

HMS Mimi-scale 1/24-Fast Motor Launch                               

Amapá 1907-1/64 scale-Brazilian Customs Cruiser

Scottish Motor Fifie. 1/32 scale. Amati kit

Patricia. Steam powered R/C launch. 1/12 scale. Krick Kit

African Queen. Steam powered  R/C launch. 1/24 scale. Billings ki

Emma C. Berry. Sailing fishing smack. 1/32 scale. Model Shipways kit.

Cowling is finished and the intake at the bottom (oil cooler intake, maybe?) and exhaust pipes have been added. A certain amount of guesswork went into the latter two constructions, as there were no close-up diagrams for either of them, and the instructions for this kit are ludicrously terse.

image.jpeg.c0608d979e794b8542bbff93fe114874.jpeg

image.jpeg.2a3b00674ecd841447f569e41dd01af8.jpeg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

On 10/17/2023 at 12:44 AM, ccoyle said:

Cowling is finished and the intake at the bottom (oil cooler intake, maybe?)

That is the air intake, the oil was cooled by the air flowing over the tiny tube meanders that made up the lip of the cowling. A legacy that Macchi had from the Schneider cup time.

Great progress, all the cowling with the blisters is an amazing work of love.

Cheers,

Dan

Edited by Danstream

Haven't forgotten this build -- just experiencing a slight ebb in modeling mojo. Gonna try to get to the landing gear this weekend.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Well, I got a wheel (singular) shaped. Each main gear wheel consists of four laminated disks. After gluing one up, I drill a hole through the center and use my Dremel tool to sand it to approximately the correct shape. After soaking it in some thin CA, I lightly sand it smooth. Here's a before-and-after:

image.jpeg.8dfd218c1ea8ab5197aba5b902594a30.jpeg

Don't worry -- the gaping holes get covered by paper hubs.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I wish I had known about this walk-around earlier in the build process.

https://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/macchi-mc-200/

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco