Speedwell 1752 by dvm27 (Greg Herbert) - FINISHED - Ketch Rigged Sloop

• 4 months later...

Speedwell's framing has finally been completed. Note the various shifts and casts of the toptimbers as they frame the ports. There are many more of these on this vessel than on a Swan class ship and they can be challenging at times. My plan is to plank her from the ports up and rig her. post-505-0-70530800-1376756198_thumb.jpgpost-505-0-53791200-1376756224_thumb.jpgpost-505-0-43462000-1376756244_thumb.jpgpost-505-0-15880200-1376756280_thumb.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Great Job Greg.

I noticed on your build board there is nothing holding the keel straight. Is there a reason for this? I was wondering if it screwed from below.

Edited by Geoff Matson

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

Geoff - there are four 6-32 threaded bolts securing the model to the baseboard.

Ben - we will be offering the plans just as soon as I finish her. She's make a nice follow-up to a Swan, Echo or Triton and is not nearly as large.

post-505-0-73040400-1376760804_thumb.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Sweet work on the framing.   Boxwood, I assume?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The update was definitely worth the wait.  She's beautiful. You said she is smaller than a Swan class...approximately what is her length?  How much internal detailing are you planning?

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

At 1:48 scale, from counter timbers to the knee of the head she's a very sweet 22". Just for laughs, I've attached a rejected Swan bow for comparison. It makes our little sloop of war look huge doesn't it? So far only box has been used but holly wales are next with Fiebings leather dye to blacken.

post-505-0-32117600-1376832311_thumb.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Jaxboat: I've used Fiebing's dye - both brown and black - for some years now, with no apparent fading. Of course, the models are never exposed to direct sunlight.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hello Greg,

I look very interested, because I'll start the sister of Speedwell with her Snow rigging - the Wolf - in the next week.But I will do it in PoB - and hope to find some help in here.

It's great to know how it could be built as PoF...

As far as I could see you scaled her to 1/48 - is that right?

Looking enranced,

Christian

P.S.:

And please be well prepared for a well filled number of stupid beginners questions... :huh:

post-5310-0-56139000-1376854215_thumb.png

Edited by Kronprinz

How lucky onshore whilom you have been

you will remake whensoever the ship is sinking.

Seneca

Building:
HMS Wolf 1752, 1/48 snow-rigged Sloop 6pfd - 10 guns

Breton Thuna fishing boats 1/125 (plastic) & 1/50 (wood)

Reconstruction:
HMS Flying Fish 1806, 1/48 Baltimore Schooner 12 gun

What a lovely illustration! Yes, my model was built at 1:48 scale (1/4" - 1'). Your choice of Wolf, a snow rigged sloop, is fortuitous. It's sister ship Cruiser was also snow rigged and the subject of Ron McCarthy's Building Plank on Frame Ship Models. The rigging in on his model is exceptionally well done and should help you immensely when the time comes. I also love the unusual parallel trysail mast behind the main mast.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Hy Greg,

thanks for your answer.

till now I haven't decided if I went to 1/48 or 1/50 or if I try to think in the future towards larger younger Sloops and paddlewheelers by choosing the  "three-sixteenths scale", since 3/16-inch represents a foot = 1/64 (or the old S-Scale for the modelrailroaders between us ;) -> http://www.s-scale.org.uk/history.htm).

Yes "my" choice was fortuitous: my wife brought the plan to me as a consolation for the downfall of my royal prussian Kronprinz by costs of the absolutly essential documents.  I was still looking for a nice ship but with a completly drawn plan... so she "overtook" me... B) ...she has had choosen it because of the name - my nickname is the persian word for "Wolf" - as my cote of arms is. That's very haphazardly - and she was lucky, wasn't she?

Looking over your shoulder,

Christian

Edited by Kronprinz

Seneca

Building:

Reconstruction:

Hi Greg,

avesome build you have started here! Looks like a little fine ship compared with Pegasus! Will follow your build with interesse.

About HMS Wolf, it's paper Kit from Ship Yard: http://www.model-shipyard.com/html/40de.html

Alex

Current build: HMS Sphynx, 20 gun ship launched in 1775 at Portsmouth, Hampshire.

On the drawing board: HMS Anson, 64 gun third rate ship of the line, launched in 1781 at Plymouth

Banner_AKHS.png

Greg, I'm happy to see you are progressing on Speedwell.  I still think she's on my list once you get the plans ready.

Maury

Edited by Maurys

Christian,

I can't locate plans for Wolf on the NMM site. Is that where your wife purchased them? Did you do the lovely illustration?

No its from the developers homepage a cutoff out of the frontpage :)

Seneca

Building:

Reconstruction:

Hi Tony, just take a look at the picture above. You will notice the ship actually has three masts: two "normals" as for a brig and then there's a third, a thinner one. It looks as if a normal "ship" with a mizzen mast put VERY close of the main mast. That was called a snow, a kind of rig which gradually dissapeared, being transformed into the two-masted rig called "brig" 

Greg

Finally tuned in to your current build.  Every bit as precise and beautiful as Pegasus.  Will she be fully rigged?

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 3 months later...

It's been a few months since I've posted an update to my build log of Speedwell. All four platforms are now in place, as are the shot locker and galley stove. Besides the wales, there will be very little external planking in order not to cover those wacky, fun to make shifted and cast toptimbers.

post-505-0-41310800-1385315474_thumb.jpg

The single wale was made of holly and stained with Fiebings black leather dye (off the model).

post-505-0-05643600-1385315506_thumb.jpg

The two completed fore platforms

The very small shot lockers accommodate the three pound cannon balls

post-505-0-14122600-1385315530_thumb.jpg

The very small shot lockers accommodate the three pound cannon balls

The galley stove was made of brass over a holly plug

post-505-0-32096500-1385315981_thumb.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models