Flying Dutchman / Black Pearl by Glen McGuire - 1/700 - Bottle

If you have been following my Constitution build log, thank you for taking a detour over to this one.  If you are just tuning in to this one, thank you for being a part of it.

My short attention span and ever-dwindling brain cells do not usually allow for simultaneous projects.  But I had to put Connie on a brief hold while I wait for delivery of some parts that I ordered.  So I figured I’d get started on another bottle project I’ve been mulling over for the past couple of months.  

When I was working on my Kraken SIB, @O.B.one made a reference to one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.  So I did some digging on the movie series and came a cross an image that caught my eye and has been sitting in the back of my mind ever since.  It’s a scene from the third installment of the franchise, At World’s End.  Calypso summons a maelstrom and the Black Pearl and Flying Dutchman do battle on opposites sides of the whirlpool.  Here’s the pic:

Screenshot2024-09-10060706.png.22b09ffe6016b861dec0993514420723.png

Last month, I was wandering through the woods of my ranch, trying to find an ornery steer, and I spotted an interesting branch sticking out of the base of a cedar tree.  The branch had a sharp curve and grain that swirled around.  It reminded me of a whirlpool.  Then the lightbulb flickered in my head and I thought the branch might make the perfect backdrop for a project – recreate the scene from At World’s End with the Black Pearl, Flying Dutchman, and a whirlpool inside the bottle.   Here’s the piece of wood.  It was dead but had weirdly grown upward from the base, made a u-turn, and dove back into the ground.  Never seen anything quite like it.

20241001_182333.thumb.jpg.c48ff9856b7c31e620916562df37bf56.jpg

To have room for all the action going on inside the bottle, I needed a bottle that was more wide than long.  A Paul Masson bottle of brandy had the perfect shape and it fit almost naturally into the piece of wood. 

20241001_182938.thumb.jpg.e37742698d1d7c76abadb8bc3f9ff7f2.jpg

The last bit of planning was finding good images of each ship to fashion my build after.  I decided to take on the Flying Dutchman first and use this pic as a basic guide.  I certainly won’t be able to match all the wonderful imagery and eerie ornamentation at my scale, but will do my best to give a good impression of it.

Picture2.jpg.29d79c7f050c6ef86a11aad06e0759e8.jpg

The biggest challenge I think will be figuring out how to make a realistic looking whirlpool inside the bottle.  Not sure how I'm gonna do that, but I'll build the ships first and give myself time to figure that out.

I will likely be bouncing back and forth between this project and the Constitution.  Hopefully I don’t get confused and try to put some of those humongous Connie parts inside the bottle here!

Edited by Glen McGuire

Great project idea Glen.  Now I fully expect to see the motley crew, especially Jack Sparrow, as part of this one ;)

Look forward to seeing this one develop.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)