Licorne by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - POF - TERMINATED LOG

It was a great ride while it lasted. I'm sure the next will be even better.

Thanks very much for an excellent log and a logical termination, or final point.

Tony

Mark,

I feel badly for you after all the work you put in. But, as many have said, You Have To Like It.

I look forward to seeing your version 2.

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Keep it up and bring us the version 2! I´ll surelly be following. ^^

Hardest decision to make.  Not as hard a trying to push on with something you aren't happy with anymore.

I'll look forward to version 2 as well.

Colin

--

Current Builds: HMS Pandora 1/64 Scratch

Jeannie Johnston;

18thC Longboat with my son

Previous Builds: HMB Bounty - Caldercraft

Running Round my head: HMS Speedy (1782) - vaguely thinking POF

"If at first you don't succeed, try it your wifes' way"

A very,very gutsy decision Mark,but I feel one you most certainly not regret.If you are not happy with the work you have done,then this unfortunately is the way to go.You will probably find that you are able to reach the point you were at in half the time,but twice as good.I have a Sergal Soleil Royal that has been on the go for over fifteen years.First rework came when the drawings didn't match the cannon supports,second rework came when I wasn't happy with supplied hull planking,on to the third one now to try and make it more accurate to the model in Paris.However I haven't touched it in over two years as I feel I am better starting again with a hull that is the right shape.So one day I probably will start again.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Well I don't think that I can add to much to the "sorry to hear about it" comments that others have. You have worked and learned and most of the time I think "Enjoyed"  the ride to the point.

Good Luck on your restart. Please keep us posted in your next thread. Enjoy

Later Tim

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Wow. Some tough decision there Mark. Lots of respect for your commitment to getting it right!

Thank you for your support everyone.  While it was a tough decision, it's been coming for quite awhile so that made it easier.  The further I went into this, the more I realized the errors were going to give me fits.  But, it was and is a learning experience and one that I badly needed.  So now to apply what I've learned and learn some new things.

As for something like a TFFM, or ANCRE... I'm not there yet.  I want to do this particular ship and do it well.  There's a personal matter in this as well as the "I can do this!" goal.  Finishing it properly will give me the confidence to step up to another level.  When I started this project, my tools and I were acquaintances and now we are friends.  Same for the wood. 

I'm already sorting out things for Version 2.0.  New build board, new frame board, re-thinking and reworking the plans so I can use them.  I'm sourcing wood for the frames (cherry) and am sorting out the other things... like boxwood or cherry for the stem, keel, an sternpost.   In the near future, I'll open the new log once I actually start making things.

As for Version 1.0, I'm planning on salvaging certain bits and pieces if I can such as grates, bitts, mast steps, etc.   No point in re-inventing the wheel on them if they meet my approval.   The rest of the hulk will be given a Viking funeral which is probably appropriate.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

If I think about, Crackers, I will... maybe post it in the "profile photographs" topic????   Hmmm... it may not be a profile view by the time I get done with salvage work and I'm not sure it will fit into the fireplace intact.   Food for future thought.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Not agree at all with the funeral pyre Mark...Of course it´s upto you but I am not agree with that.

I do understand that you do not want to see her around at your workshop but burn it?? For f sake!!

You could put it on earth in big fancy bed of manure and plant something on it (a cherry tree, prunus cerasifera i.e.). At least something alive might grow up from her... Think about it. Burn it?  If I were you I wouldn´t even think about to trash the ship.

You´ll see.

Daniel.

I think we all played with the same thoughts at some point in time, well I did more than once. I find scrapping a part I worked for a day on hard, scrapping a build with an unknown mass amount of hours in it is something else. Very brave man, you won't regret this. And you're absolutely right, it's a hobby and it has to be fun, working on a project you're not satisfied with is no fun. 

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Daniel,

I'll give it some thought.  Just hate toss it into the trash, though.  I do want to salvage out what I can use (and as I said, meets my approval) and that will necessitate ripping up the decks.  Mast steps, pumps, capstan, bitts, pin rail, oven and maybe the coamings and mast partners and keelson can all be re-used.

Thanks Remco.  Your tag line is one that now sits over my workbench.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark,

If ye ain't impressed wi' me idea fer making her into a pirate ship, then how about salvaging what you can as a cross-section build ?? 

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Mark,

If ye ain't impressed wi' me idea fer making her into a pirate ship, then how about salvaging what you can as a cross-section build ?? 

Can I use a chainsaw? 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Can I use a chainsaw? 

Absolutely !!!

Just so long as you promise to video it to keep Crackers (et al) amused !!!

PS: Make sure you be wearing a HOCKEY-MASK!!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

.......chain saw may be a bit radical.......perhaps a reciprocating saw would be better.   why use a 1/4 stick,  when a firecracker will do  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Well I am sure glad that you decided to wreck your model rather than continue with something you didn't enjoy and let the model wreck your love for the hobby!

I can't wait to follow No. 2!

p.s.  If it is any consolation, this log and the sad ending gives us beginners enormous confidence in seeing that problems can happen to much much much more experienced modellers  :)

Edited by Bindy

I concur that the Viking Funeral is more appropriate then dumping her in the recycle bin with the beer cans.  It's the ending I reserve for my old R/C planes.  But I advise doing it in the garden and letting her return to the earth rather than go up in smoke.  Also works wonders for the year's tomato crop.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I think the ship wreck idea is an interesting one.  Instead of sand though make a shipwreck garden scene.  She'll be returning to earth with style.  

Mark -

I got to your log from your response to my question on the log of the QAR.  Like all logs when I first find them, I started on page 1 and read forward to the current pages.  I was very impressed with all the good work that went into the frames and interior deck details.  I commisserated with all the others when you cut your fingers, and cheered, quietly, when you solved the knotty construction problems of the large pumps and the spiled planking.

So I was shocked to read on page 32 that you decided to abandon the model.  So much great work.   I know that it must have been a difficult decision, but if it is right for you, then it is all for the best.  I hope you can save a lot of your detail work and sub-assemblies. 

Best of success with Licorne v.2.  Charting your progress from the Constellation and cross-section models to here, I am sure that it will be up to your high standards.  I look forward to much pleasurable reading as she rises from the building board.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Rather than the burn, stick in the ground, blow up or whatever. I really like the idea of your making a ship wreck scene out of it. Even with a break or two in the lines. To the folks that started this idea, I like it thinking out of the box.

Or a last idea.

Even if it's off in a few areas make a building scene out of it. Thinking of the cover of Harold Hahn's book. Or remove just the stern and show the building of a stern or bow. This way you are not building on the few errors (few and small to me). But making a time period building statement.

Please review and don't just chainsaw it away.

Later Tim

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Well, clearly I'm late to the party here, but good luck with version two. As far as version one, after salvaging what you can, might it be beneficial to keep her around as a frame of reference (no pun intended) so you can see where the mistakes were (as painful as they may be) and avoid repeating them?

That's why I still keep in touch with my first wife. :-)

-Bug

Mark, one of my personal sayings is "it's not about what knocked us down; it's about how we get back up."  You fully epitomize that with your decision to start anew and use lessons learned to build an even better Licorne!  And ya know what, this new one's gonna be an even more kick-butt beautiful build not only because of the skills you'll be bringing to it, but also because of the heart you'll put into her!

Semper Fi, buddy! :dancetl6:

Jay

Edited by JMaitri

Current Build:

Thanks again for everyone's comments and support.   The "funeral" will have to wait a bit as there's much work in the background going on.  I'm starting the Version 2.0 log and will put the updates there.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

........that's a good weeble!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch