Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do You enjoy Rigging your ship?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

bear

bear
  • Members
  • 358 posts

Ahoy Mates

I am just about to start on the main rigging of my Mary Rose and am excited about doing the rigging. Not only because I have been building the ship for over two years now and it's a welcome change,but that now after rigging 3 ship models in 3 years I really love to work on the rigging.

From searching thru my books for how to rig different time periods and ship types to seeing how tight and consistent I can get my seizing.And seeing what everyone here is working on,and getting answers to questions here.

And most important how even all the deadeye's  lashing  to each other.

And with most builds there's another area and skill to learn and master. Like in diemaking after a while there's little that is really new,just different situations   doing the same things. And trying to master what you are doing.

So back to my question-do you like rigging?

What do you like and what do you not.

Keith

• mtaylor, CaptainSteve, RichardG and 4 others like this

EJ_L

EJ_L
  • Members
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationWichita, Ks

I really enjoy rigging my ships. It is very difficult and frustrating at times but the challenge is a welcome one. Every line I get installed I find myself sitting back and enjoying the new addition. Each ship I have built I try to do a better job with my rigging in making sure they are seized correctly, ran to the correct belaying pins or cleats, rigged through the blocks or that the blocks are the right ones. Each build I have learned something new and each has become better for it.

Like any aspect of ship building where there is a lot of repetition it can become monotonous and I am ready to see the end of it after a while but that is no different then planking or any other phase really.

• mtaylor, CaptainSteve, popeye2sea and 5 others like this

"Anchors Aweigh"

-E.J.

Current Builds - La Couronne - Corel &  Le Soleil Royal - Sergal

Completed - Wood - Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

WaltB

WaltB
  • Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA, USA

I too enjoy rigging. I've done several models of differing complexity. I'm about to start on rigging my Emma C. Berry and looking forward to it.

It is a relatively simple rig (cat sloop) but at the model's scale (1:32) it has many more units than smaller scales. It will be a challenge with all its links, hearts, buls eyes, blocks, seizings, etc.

Walt

• mtaylor, CaptainSteve, Canute and 3 others like this

Patience, patience; slow and easy makes the model.

overdale

overdale
  • Members
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

I'm afraid I find rigging to be extremely tedious and it is the least liked part of a build for me.

Sorry.. :)  

Edited by overdale, 28 May 2016 - 07:33 PM.

• mtaylor, grsjax, Barbossa and 4 others like this

Ulises Victoria

Ulises Victoria
  • Members
  • 1,685 posts
  • LocationMonterrey, Mexico

Rigging is the best part of ship model building for me. (Well, except maybe starting a new project  :D )

I find the rigging part to be extremely fun to do, (well, except tying several thousands of clove hitches on the ratlines  :D )

And especially because that is the last step before finishing the project, (and start a new one  :D )

Best regards

Ulises

• mtaylor, CaptainSteve, popeye2sea and 5 others like this

Ulises

If you want something you've never had, 

you have to do something you've never done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Project Build Log: French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Last finished projectRoyal Ship Vasa 1628 

Future projects already in my stash:  Panart: San Felipe 1/75  (most likely my next project);

Artesanía Latina: HMS Surprise 1/48;

OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90.

My Wish List: Soleil Royale. Sovereign of the Seas. Amati 1/64 Victory (if it ever comes out :) )

Duffer

Duffer
  • Members
  • 358 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, CT, USA

Not everyone enjoys rigging, or some other aspects, so no apology needed.  

I happen to enjoy rigging, don't know why but all those lines control the yards and sails which drive the ship, and give character to her.  I find rattling down to cause some dain bramage though, but a good ale straightens me out.  And when done, she sure looks good.

So, not every aspect gives the same enjoyment, but one must still git 'er done.

Keep on building and above all, have fun.                      Duff 

• hollowneck, mtaylor, CaptainSteve and 5 others like this

testazyk

testazyk
  • Members
  • 346 posts
  • LocationAuckland New Zealand

I would say it exactly the way Ulises did!

• mtaylor, Ulises Victoria, Canute and 1 other like this

Tom

Currently bashing a Sergal Soleil Royal

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe

popeye2sea

popeye2sea
  • Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I very much enjoy the rigging portion of a build.  Although, I might change my mind after this build.  I've set myself to a very big challenge.  I intend to rig this ship as close as possible to actual practice.  Meaning all of the appropriate bends, hitches, splices, and seizings.  No glue in the rigging.  And, lines of the proper length to work the rig.  I should be able to change the set of the sails at any time (not that I would ever do that in the future.)

At 1:100 scale we will see if I have set the bar too high.

Regards,

• mtaylor, -Mike-, bhermann and 5 others like this

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! :D

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Captain Poison

Captain Poison
  • Members
  • 103 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale,Florida
Rigging is the second part that I enjoy (the first is the construction of the hull) is interesting and also a source of learning... that allows me to improve future work.

• mtaylor, popeye2sea, AntonyUK and 3 others like this
Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48
L'Herminione 1:96

Current Project: Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

hornet

hornet
  • Members
  • 544 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW Australia
Building scratch deck furniture is my favourite part of a build but I do enjoy rigging. I have just built my own motorised rope walker and will be making my own ropes for my current build - The Bounty - when the time comes. This should make rigging even more satisfying.

Edited by hornet, 29 May 2016 - 06:37 AM.

• mtaylor, popeye2sea, Canute and 2 others like this

Hornet

Current Build: - Caldercraft - HMAV Bounty

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

On the shelf awaiting construction: - Caldercraft  - HM Bark Endeavour 

GuntherMT

GuntherMT
  • Members
  • 2,125 posts
  • LocationBuckeye, AZ

So far I do enjoy rigging.  It's the "home stretch" where the build really comes alive and looks like a real ship, so it's very satisfying to me to work on it and see the ship's rigging come together.

• mtaylor, CaptainSteve, popeye2sea and 3 others like this

John Allen

John Allen
  • Members
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMobile, Alabama

I must absolutely love rigging or be a masochist one. HMS Victory first shrouds and ratlines not acceptable looked bad, cut every one out.

Completely reinstalled all (how many knots in 2 sets of shrouds and ratlines)

That being said, I enjoy the rigging most of all even after all that.

• mtaylor, Ulises Victoria, popeye2sea and 3 others like this

John Allen

Current build Mamoli HMS Victory

Armed Launch-Panart

Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

On deck Maori (Waca) war canoe

and Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea)

S.Coleman

S.Coleman
  • Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationPerth Western Australia
I like the rigging. Makes the ship look more complete. I too find myself sitting back and admiring the new line I had just installed.
  • mtaylor, Ulises Victoria, popeye2sea and 3 others like this
Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:
1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli
1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli
1:54 Adventure, Amati
1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL
1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli
1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel
1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:
1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL
1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

pompey2

pompey2
  • Members
  • 559 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

I find that when I'm rigging I miss the woodworking, and when I'm planking I miss rigging.

Still guess that means I like it all :D

Nick

• mtaylor, justsayrow, popeye2sea and 3 others like this

Current build USF Confederacy - http://modelshipworl...ways-scale-164/

Previous log - HMS Victory - http://modelshipworl...raft-172/page-1

skipper1947

skipper1947
  • Members
  • 157 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

I have found that my favorite part of model building, is the phase that I am about to start. My least favorite is the part that I just finished.  So, all-in-all; I love/hate each phase in turn. :blink:

Having said that, I do like tying ratlines. I get into a sort-of zen like state, except I am focused on the ratlines instead of my breathing. Disclaimer: I know nothing about Zen, so any relationship between my opinion and reality is purely coincidental.

Skip

• mtaylor, coxswain, catopower and 4 others like this

JerseyCity Frankie

JerseyCity Frankie
  • Members
  • 1,235 posts

I like the rigging work the best and also, when I am examining someone else's model or a model in a museum, I am spending all my time looking at the rigging details and hardly any time contemplating the hull or deck fittings.

• mtaylor, popeye2sea and EJ_L like this

puckotred

puckotred
  • Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationGotheborg, Sweden

I hate the ratlines!!!

• mtaylor, coxswain, ulrich and 2 others like this

Mr. Pucko

Building: acquired half finished Amphion 1790 - Yacht Reale Sweden by Corel 

And a half built Pegasus by Victory Models

Pinco Genovese by Euromodel Como

And "Section Deck Between Gun Bays"

(if I get the time I'll do a log)

Bohuslän - NCB discontinued

Vasa - DeAgostini - Scale 1:65

coxswain

coxswain
  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAshland, Kentucky

Absolutely love it!!  Of course, building the old Revell big sailing ships, it's what made them come to life for me - the rigging is at the same time part of the beauty of a ship and the very life of it, for the position of the rigging/sails determine the movement, life and death of it.  I love the hull lines of the sharper ships, but when they are in the water, they are for the most part, hidden from view, and this brings the position and rake of the masts into the fore, and the ballet, as it were, of the rigging into play.  And of course it helps when you like 'busy' designs -  one time I showed my sister a picture of a model of a clipper shp and she exclaimed "Look at the strings on that thing!"

• mtaylor and EJ_L like this

jablackwell

jablackwell
  • Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationExeter, NH, USA

I love rigging in every way except the ratlines... which is where i am right now with the Kate Cory build of mine. When those are done it is smooth sailing and lots of fun to rig a sailing vessel... even more fun to make the rigging actually work the way it is supposed to on the real ship. The model just comes to life with every addition.

• mtaylor, coxswain and EJ_L like this

RedDawg

RedDawg
  • Members
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDaytona Beach Florida
The rigging of a ship gives me pleasure. From start to finish the complexity and sometimes frustration make the outcome worthwhile for me. While doing Sergals Thermopylae the plans were terrible and a lot of my own imagination. And now that I have a few books on rigging I have thought about starting over. Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

Edited by RedDawg, 05 June 2016 - 06:02 PM.

• mtaylor, coxswain, skipper1947 and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.