74-gun ship by Gaetan Bordeleau - 1:24

One last element to add at this level a double wall filled with sand.

Before it is too heavy to turn upside down, 1 coat of tung oil is applied below first deck outside, it gives a complete different look to the cherry wood.

I did a photo of a word  program text. Before I was able to copy text from outside MSW, but now when I copy text, it is included as a photo in small definition!!!

My search for knives continue. I ordered new blades to try, assembly require.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

IMG_8851.jpg

IMG_8856.jpg

IMG_8859.jpg

IMG_8860.jpg

YDXJ0069.jpg

YDXJ0075.jpg

One thing to consider with handles Gaetan is how well it locates the point of the blade and its rotation for you. A curved and fully rounded handle can be quite comfortable, but it's hard to know exactly where the point is just by the grip. That's why I always make the back edge of the handle straight, and perfectly in line with the point of the blade, and also with slight flats on the side, these help you intuitively feel where the edge is pointed. With a fully rounded handle, you can be holding the knife slightly twisted in your hand without noticing.

But in the end, handles are very personal things, make what feels right for you.

It is a good thing to know where is the blade without necessarily seeing it.

I like to watch on Historia channel a program called Fire and steel, a competition to make and test a knife: blade and  handle. Every time they test durability by hitting the knife on hard objects when the handle is round, the handle slips in the hand and reduce the performance of the blade:  the judge does not like that.

I think that the size of the handle is also important. Just like it is easier to build at 1/48 scale than 1/184, because the part is easier to hold. I think that the same rule can apply here. I knew that I have more control with a bigger handle and I think that this one reason.

Edited by Gaetan Bordeleau

• 3 weeks later...

Gaetan, 

This has been an education in more ways than just a ship.  Thanks.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

I just finish replacing a part of the deck...at home , not on the 74.

To synchronize 3 Profoto and 3 Canon flashs together, I got a module called Youngnuo YN622C. 

Here is a  picture  to verify that everthing works together and trying to light every part of the model at the same level.

Even if it is artificial light, color are very close to what we see. 

We can clearly see 2 tone of cherry wood; natural and  1 coat of tung oil.

IMG_9645.jpg

Absolutely stunning, you need to stop playing and do some building😁😁

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Lovely carving work, Gaetan.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

Great build and great photos...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

• 2 weeks later...

Your pictures are so great that I can smell the wood..

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

9 hours ago, Gaetan Bordeleau said:

looking at the next picture, I asked myself which side is up?

You should have taken the photograph without the visible gun ports, then it would be a real challenge!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

In this post, I asked myself: How do we access shot lockers?

In the drawings, we see the shape, we can figure how they fill it, but how dis they empty it?

The answer will be  in the next post.

We can find the beginning of the answer  in the drawings of  l' Artésien. 

IMG_1548.jpg

Sans titre.jpg

YDXJ0161.jpg

YDXJ0166.jpg

YDXJ0172.jpg

YDXJ0173.jpg

YDXJ0182.jpg

YDXJ0184.jpg

YDXJ0185.jpg

YDXJ0187.jpg

YDXJ0189.jpg

Wow- impressive! What an undertaking...sweet!

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

Thank you Sea Hoss,

How can we get cannonballs out of  have 3 very  deep cabinets?

First, we need to enter the cabinet by some kind of entrance.

Secondly, we need to go down to the bottom of this deep hole with the help of some kind of ladder.

Son 3 openings have been done and ladder rungs have been added in each of the 3 holes.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

YDXJ0201.jpg

YDXJ0209.jpg

HI  Empathry,

Mainly, I use 2 cameras; 1 for inside details and 1 for outside.

https://www.yitechnology.com/yi-4k-action-camera

a very small camera,  4k  inside the model, automatic camera with few adjustments.

For outside, Canon 5D mark IV  with various lens and sometime with different flash.

4 hours ago, empathry said:

What focal lenght ? What speed

It depends, there are other considerations like ISO. There is not only 1 possibility, but hundreds.

Most importantly, if I want  a daylight exposition, to get the good colors,  I need  to add more light, especially for dark spaces.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/LED-Light-Sources/ci/12248

because these little camera do not have a flash. LED light, with continuous lighting is the kind of lighting used for video.

• 2 weeks later...

Continuation of the construction of the floating warehouse.

Next level will begin. The larger open place, in the middle, will be the amphitheater, a place to care for the sick and wounded..

One of the goals, in this small project... is to limit  at the minimum the decks planking to maximize the interior view.

DSCF0105.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

YDXJ0232.jpg

YDXJ0244.jpg

YDXJ0247.jpg

YDXJ0257.jpg

YDXJ0263.jpg