HMS Winchelsea - FINISHED - 1764 - by Chuck (1/4" scale)

Just had the guys over for a nice Saturday get-together at my shop.  Mike brought his Winnie.    Side by side siblings....Mike's is in the front and is Boxwood.  Mine is Yellow cedar and in the background.  I just took these with my cell phone but here you go.   Dropped my camera so its what I need to use until I get a new one.  

win1.jpg

And also...here is a look (I know you guys are getting bored of seeing the figurehead at this point) at the figurehead and our latest experiment.  This is another resin casting but I am experimenting with trying to cast them in a tan color that already looks like wood.  This is a very very hard thing to do with success.   But this figurehead has not been painted or touched up.  This is the color right out of the package.  I may go with it as its not perfect but very close.  You guys can just do a light brushing with some weathering powders if you want it more golden or less tan.  It depends on what wood you are building the model with.  I am so happy with the results.

win3.jpg

Very nice Chuck and Mike.  You guys really know how to build an outstanding model.

Chuck, the figurehead looks great and the resin casting is a pretty darn good match.  One thing keeps bothering me however.  The head of the figure is turned fairly hard to starboard, as if it’s looking at something on that side.  Most figureheads Ive ever seen are looking forward.  As if they are clearing the way for the ship or looking at the horizon.  In one of your original contemporary pictures of the Winnie the head might have a slight angle but nothing as pronounced as this.  It just looks a bit weird with the figure looking to the side like that.  Just my .02 cents.  Still beautiful work but since you have been so meticulous with every other detail I just wanted to point it out.

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

You mentioned that a few times before.  Unfortunately that cant be changed now, so it is what it is.   Mind you it really doesnt look to the side.  The camera does seems to accentuate it and in real life it isnt as noticeable.   Its actually less so than the contemporary model version below.  And yes many figureheads dont look straight ahead.....this is just one example, and it was done to capture the look somewhat of the contemporary version.  This model is a very important one and pains were taken to make it very accurate because it was presented to someone by the admiralty as a big deal at the time.  So I am careful to capture its essence as closely as possible.

I also think they do this on some contemporary models because they are most readily viewed from the side and by turning the head slightly, you can see the face detail better as models are usually displayed.  On one side anyway.  But the good news is that if it bothers anyone that much just decapitate the resin figure and turn slightly facing forward and glue it back on.   Just a little clean-up and nobody will notice.  LOL

F9288-004.jpg

A quick decapitation on one of the other resin figurehead tests and you can see that you can easily have him look anyway you like.  No fuss.....I didnt even touch it up afterwards.   Took me five minutes.

win4.jpg

Chuck

Dowmer: actually many contemporary models show the figure with head turned to starboard to a greater or lesser degree (lions excepted). It's later half-length ones that look straight ahead. So the casting resembles the original model quite closely, except that the head there is tilted as well as turned.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

26 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I also think they do this on some contemporary models because they are most readily viewed from the side and by turning the head slightly, you can see the face detail better as models are usually displayed.  On one side anyway.

Actually, someone else mentioned it before.  I only agreed.  However, that is water under the proverbial bridge.

I agree with your statement above and probably explains the head turn the best.  It is what it is.  Either way, it’s a beautiful model and I’m amazed at the quality which far exceeds anything else on the market.  So Kudos and keep up the quality and offerings for us meager followers. 😀

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

Just had the guys over for a nice Saturday get-together at my shop.  Mike brought his Winnie.    Side by side siblings....Mike's is in the front and is Boxwood.  Mine is Yellow cedar and in the background.  I just took these with my cell phone but here you go.   Dropped my camera so its what I need to use until I get a new one.  

win1.jpg

And also...here is a look (I know you guys are getting bored of seeing the figurehead at this point) at the figurehead and our latest experiment.  This is another resin casting but I am experimenting with trying to cast them in a tan color that already looks like wood.  This is a very very hard thing to do with success.   But this figurehead has not been painted or touched up.  This is the color right out of the package.  I may go with it as its not perfect but very close.  You guys can just do a light brushing with some weathering powders if you want it more golden or less tan.  It depends on what wood you are building the model with.  I am so happy with the results.

win3.jpg

those models look ..... like the madona... i do wish i had the time to get started on this 😲 

but then i newer wil finish my other models ,ooooh i cant start a 3 model😇 or.. i think i forgot my number😂

svein erik

I agree 100%.....But I am not joking about changing it if in fact someone prefers it looking more forward.  The resin is so forgiving to work with.  And now that the resin is cast through in a tan/wood color,   cleaning up the seam is a piece of cake.  Literally saw off his head and glue it back on facing any direction you prefer.  Ten minutes tops.

Here is a better view of the new colored resin figure.  I only spent 5 minutes turning his head.   Excuse the Iphone photo.   Just learning how to use it.  Playing with the camera settings.

IMG_0221.JPG

Thanks for being so open to other possibilities Chuck.  I guess it’s a preference thing.  I prefer the straight on look but it’s good to know it’s so easily remedied. 

BTW, I like the iPhone photos.  Pretty good color and saturation,  but then I’m not there to see the real colors.  Beautiful anyway. 👍

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

thats good to know....whic ones.

this onewin1.jpg

this one

IMG_0217.JPG

or this one....i dont like the color in this one below.   But the other images above are pretty accurate to the real thing,  yes?

IMG_0221.JPG

I think that the first one which shows both ships is the best, but still not that accurate.

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Both both models look great.  Please bring them both to our next meeting.

BTW - There is an editing feature on an iPhone.  You can adjust the color if need be.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Chuck when I downloaded the drawings I see that they are 1/4" scale but I don't see a scale on the drawing that can be used to verify printing accuracy and such. This is very helpful to those who are scratch building the Winnie. Could you put a scale on the drawing for us to use?

Will

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

I’ll check this out tomorrow

thanks

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

Yes they are very close in color actually.  This is why the less expensive Yellow cedar was chosen as an alternative.  I will bring it to our next meeting. 

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

Definitely NOT a good idea.   Stick with one wood or it will be very noticeable.  That would look awful in my opinion.  Anyone opting to use the laser cut parts in Cedar or Cherry really should use the same woods for planking.  Otherwise I would recommend scratching the parts rather than using the laser cut pieces.  

Chuck

Both models look beautiful. Mike, you weren't tempted to put Chuck's figure head on your model for a photo op? Or slip it into your pocket,,,

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Exactly Chris....!!!  Great start.   The group is coming together with almost 20 build logs so far and more being added every day.  I hope everyone has fun with the project.  I just placed an order for the first batch of resin figureheads now that I have settled on a color and will be sending the other 20 or so pieces down for casting next week.  i bought a better video camera that I am going to try and mount over my workbench as well.  So once I start planking, I will try making some videos.  Although....I have never edited a video before so this will be an new experiment.

I am just eager to get to the stern transom and qgalleries and catch up to where I was on the 3/16" scale version.  Now that it is bigger and I have more tools I think it will come out much better this time around.  Seven years ago.....image below.

qgroofraildecorations1.jpg

Chuck

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

...I bought a better video camera

When you get up to speed with your new camera, here is something you might try.

I have found, that with a still camera, phone or whatever, it can be tricky to get just the shot you want with regard to light, focus & etc without a lot of planning and setting up.

I will often take a short HD video;  moving around, zooming in and out and so forth,  then open the video in media player, full screen HD, skip through and find the shot I want, then take a screen snip.

I then open it in an image editor to crop it ( I often just use " Paint " ), which does a great job of resizing..

Might seem like a bit of extra effort, but you might be surprised at how it helps to get the exact shot you want.

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

4 hours ago, Chuck said:

So once I start planking, I will try making some videos.  

qgroofraildecorations1.jpg

Chuck

Chuck - I know you’re past that point but do you think you could make a video of shaping one of those gunport planks that are recessed and also have the beveled/angled portions? You and Mike both make that level of precision look easy but I’m having a hard time visualizing it.....

I dont think I can at this point.  There isnt anything magical to show anyway.  I just measured the length by holding a strip in position and marked both ends.   I cut it with a sharp blade slightly longer and sanded both sides with a sanding stick.   I tested the fit....sanded some more.....retested......sanded some more.....etc.   If I messed it up, I tossed it and started over.   Its just a one at a time slow process.  Nothing special other than making I sure I tossed the bad ones and only kept the good ones.