HMS Winchelsea - FINISHED - 1764 - by Chuck (1/4" scale)

Simply amazing what you can do with that mind of yours! I could never achieve those results by hand. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks guys....If you look closely the molding and hance has four flutes or three etched grooves.  This is what would normally be used on a molding but I may run a test with just two etched grooves to see how it looks.

This really pushes the limits with the laser cutter because the grooves are so tiny and not etched very deeply.  I think it looks a bit busy and maybe a simpler profile would look even better.   But it could just be that i have been staring at these for eight hours and am losing my mind.

luckily these wont be needed for while so I can do more testing.  This is certainly a benefit as a designer to own your laser cutter.  I couldnt imagine this kind of subtle testing and tweaking if I had to send these out for cutting each time.

They look really fantastic and I can't imagine what 3% will do. Expanding the photo the boxwood holds the cut better than the cedar, but the cedar is very nice.( I really had to blow up the photo to see the difference) Great job. You've become a laser magician. We'll have to get you a merlin pointed hat.

Will

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

I really like those scrolls, and the other details you are making on the Winnie. This model is turning out very impressive. The examples of both wood types are a pleasure to see. And thanks for the lesson about fairing inboard, a new one for me.

A while back on this web site, I recall a certain Mr. Chuck Passaro teaching to use an x-acto blade for doing finer details such as curving scrolls or the s-shape decorations a lot of ships of the time period had. Perhaps that same advice would help the volute details.

Thank you.....yes I could break out the chisels and blades but the fun challenge for me is to try and engineer a really good part so that I wont have to.  While it was fresh in my brain and different ideas were swirling around in there, I decided to do a simplification test with fewer etched grooves.  I think this is the winner at it achieves exactly what I am shooting for.  The aft upper hance is new and made from boxwood.  I will go with boxwood on the final versions too.  I also reduced the scroll in size and it is now perfectly sized for the Winnie.   I added a simulated cap rail which will be painted black so I could see the molding better.

Now back to making rope and blocks which I have fallen very behind with since I spent a couple of days fiddling with the scroll-work and molding.

volutes1.jpg

Carved scrolls on actual contemporary model.....I would encourage as many willing to try and carve them but I think my laser cut versions will do just fine.  But nothing beats a hand carved version.

volutes.JPG

Chuck are the scrolls going to individually purchased or part of a kit. Such as a ornamentation kit.

The laser ones look fantastic.

Will

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

Dont really know yet.   I will probably gang up several parts of the project and over them along with others that will be built in a given Chapter.

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

But nothing beats a hand carved version.

I have a feeling that if contemporary modelers had had a laser, they would have used it...

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

When I was in architecture school, the first hand held calculators appeared. We asked our structures teacher if we could use them, and he said, "Those are just a passing fad. You will always have to know how to use a slide rule...."

Mark

Thanks guys....Chisels are something I am very comfortable with.   But when you are trying to mass produce a project for many,  there is a whole other side of the fun you guys dont get to see.  For examle,   in order to try and make a part that is mass-produce-able, there is so much testing and re-testing.  

moldingtest.jpg

I must have laser cut over 100 hance pieces and molding samples.   I sanded and finished tested about two dozen of those.   When testing,  they must be placed on the model temporarily which can be problematic if I am not careful.  The first photos I posted yesterday of the molding and hance pieces was probably 50 versions ago.    You should compare the photos because it is interesting to see how the design changed over the last few days.  With each new try it gets a little batter.....baby steps.

This was my final test just about one hour ago with the last iteration of hance pieces and molding.   They were lightly tacked to the model with the tiniest drop of glue.  But the molding can be hard to see against the same color background.   So with each test, I used some blue painters tape where the painted frieze will eventually go.  Although not exactly the right color it is close enough to give me a good sense of how the molding will look.  Making laser cut moldings and hance pieces is new territory for me.  Although I tried it with the Confederacy kit, I wasnt able to test it as much as I can now that the laser cutter is only 3 feet away from my workbench.

moldingtest1.jpg

Many wonder why these kits are so expensive...I cant tell you how expensive it is to test this much while trying to produce the very best product or design concept.  This is why it is so upsetting when another company in a foreign land will just wait it out and copy the final product.  That saves so much time and money and aggravation.  But I digress.....Testing on the molding and hances have lasted three days.....I am so far behind with making blocks and rope!!!

These will be the final iteration of hances although the molding between the ports is traditionally different.  I just havent had time to develop those yet.   Lots more to do.  I hope you are interested in the trials and tribulations of a model designer.  There are good days and there are bad days.  Days where everything you try just turn out like crap....and its back to the drawing board!!!  Hopefully that isnt the case here.  🤞

10 hours ago, Chuck said:

yes I could break out the chisels and blades but the fun challenge for me is to try and engineer a really good part so that I wont have to.  While it was fresh in my brain and different ideas were swirling around in there, I decided to do a simplification test with fewer etched grooves.  I think this is the winner at it achieves exactly what I am shooting for.  The aft upper hance is new and made from boxwood.  I will go with boxwood on the final versions too.  I also reduced the scroll in size and it is now perfectly sized for the Winnie.   I added a simulated cap rail which will be painted black so I could see the molding better.

Good idea, Mr. Chuck always has some unique ideas... For example, the ribs assembly method of his cross-section KIT last time.

Edited by hjx

Chuck,

thank you for the insights into what it takes to develop a kit. You really help explain just how complex the process really is. It is looking great!

Mark

The last version looks much cleaner and the color contrast with the boxwood is very nice. I’m going to need some moldings for my Confederacy 😜

Steve

Thank You....You can always buy the starter package when it becomes available.  That will contain plans minus the templates for the bulkheads.  You wouldnt need them because you get them laser cut.

Chuck

I love to see these updates, thank you for posting them! Your goal of producing such high quality products is much appreciated and it's really interesting to see how it all comes together.

Dave Barnard

Current build: HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models)

On hold: Niagara (Model Shipways), Constitution (Mamoli)

Completed:

Marseille (Mamoli)

Duke William (Kammerlander)

Halifax (Lauck Street Shipyard)

• 2 weeks later...

Chuck, 

I love the job you’ve done so far. This looks absolutely awesome. I’m curious, are you planning to make this like a admiralty model or fully rig? Looks like the original is admiralty style. 

I’ve been thinking of jumping into a scratch build, is this a good one to start with? I’ve learned a ton working on my Syren and this project looks awesome, but I’m not sure if it's too ambitious as a first time scratch.

-Joe

Just and Army dude that likes ships

Just my 2 cents Joe, but if you've already done the Syren, this project would be a great next step.  Especially since it's going to be done in this forum format with so many builder logs, and the teacher always within hail. :)

Plus there will always be some laser cut parts and other materials available should you need them.  If you are being cautious about it I would jump in and use the Yellow Cedar as your wood choice just so you can get those if you need to.