On 3/18/2020 at 2:31 PM, catopower said:

Looking forward to getting my hands on one of these lovely kits!

I can attest that the Russian Polotsk kit is superb - in so many important ways. The materials (especially the laser-cut & etched Swiss pear) are excellent throughout and the unique approach to the build is very innovative, particularly the stern as well as stem sections; an interesting and effective departure that utilizes jigs one makes to assist.The 1/72-scale Polotsk includes spiled pear "second" planking. The photos here are self-explanatory. The spiled laser-cut, thin hull planking has a self-adhesive backing and when heat is applied it firmly bonds with the traditional first planking. I have completed the model's hull and her rigging is ahead of me. Pol2ndPlanking.jpg

The black wale is NOT painted; the supplied wood for both - as well as other hull components - are dyed black, presumably pear. The thickness of the pear wood spiling is approximately 0.5 MM that also makes the "veneering" of the hull easy to apply (with a heat wand) with resulting, excellent joinery.

PolHullComplete.jpg

In addition to the hull planking, the upper bulwarks, including both bulwark interiors are also precision, laser-cut pear wood.

PolForward.jpg

The dyed black capping rails were too light and inconsistent in hue so I added a flat black acrylic to better match the wales, stem and stern areas. The windlass, belfry assembly and other deck furniture are detailed very nicely.

PolHero01.jpg

The completed model photo is from a Russian modeler who has finished his build. As indicated here, the Polotsk was schooner-rigged and saw service in the Black Sea in the early-to-mid 19th-century.

PolSternPlankPlugIn.jpg

The basic bulkhead structure is a "plug-in" design that's quite effective. The keel is 5-ply plywood...just when we thought plywood was "Old School!" Sharp eyes will note that the thin pear transom has split on both sides when glued to the shaped underpinnings; this wasn't critical as there was a black veneer mounted later. The stern shaping approach with "stacked" sections worked better than I had anticipated it would. On the starboard side, the first planking has been applied; it will get the thin skin of pear pear in a second planking procedure. The holes in the keelformer accurately locate the actual pear wood keel/keelson.

USSRWWIIposter.jpg

This warship model is considerably better built than most Russian army war materiels...tanks as well as Navy Missile Cruisers that serve double-duty as submarines...

PolBowFixture.jpg

The provided jig (that one assembles) is used to get the stem bulkheads properly aligned. You'll toss it out once everything's properly glued. Note the beveled stem bulkhead.

PolSternFixture.jpg

The stern also has a fixture for aligning all the pieces correctly, before planking. Lots of sanding here, but the visual guide is a good reference on how much to shape the upper and lower transoms and wings. Like the Stem fixture, you'll toss this one too once you've aligned and glued everything. A little tricky, but effective if one proceeds cautiously on this element of the hull's construction.

PolGuide.jpg

The kit has a full-color instruction manual that is well-done. Like all instructions, look ahead in these pages before getting too far ahead of yourself. The kit does have written instructions in pidjin English: these are pretty useless (and not necessary). Throughout my build thus far, I only referred to the picture guidance (and the clear nomenclature identifying the parts).

PolStern.jpg

The stern view on my Polotsk's nearly completed hull. The "golden" trim, Russian eagle insignia and Cyrllic characters are nice, malleable brass P/E. One can see how accurately and cleanly the spiled hull planking meets at the sternpost. No stealers. No filler.

Edited by hollowneck
grammar & Spelling

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

On 5/25/2022 at 2:00 PM, chris watton said:

So very nicely done!

Very interesting and clever...a mold to align and hold ribs. But I'll need to buy a load of those precision clamps!😆

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

This is looking like a very detailed kit! To be honest all of the MK kits are this detailed. 

I'm also looking forward to the Mercury and Venus developments. They will no doubt be as detailed and intricate. 

Your boat looks absolutely fantastic, made with great woodworking skills.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...