IL Leudo by SHIPSCAT (Jolene) - Mamoli - scale 1:34

Hello shipmates

I have now put some more planks on and to my horror I have discovered that the gap is not the same from the keel to the top of the planks.

I think it is due to me twisting the first planks to make them fit.

So I am now going to get the gap the same.

Looks like I have a lot of filling and sanding to do, so I will have to eat a lot of BRUSSELS SPROUTS (😈) to get my strength up 🤢.

Jo.

266601253_ILLEUDO25_0002.thumb.jpg.32d0c054075d075c4b2f28713129d6da.jpg1259862633_ILLEUDO25_0003.thumb.jpg.9a93a80e397d22e60a924dc62a53658c.jpg

Current Build:

IL Leudo - Mamoli - 1:34

FD10 Arnanes 701 Billings scale 1:50

"Good conversations are the ones you have with people you do not know"

Jo,

That does not look bad at all! Well done! A bot of sanding and what ever that bog stuff is and you will be ready for the second layer. How far off are the two gaps? Depending on the discrepancy you may be able to make it up over the next two or three planks.

And see?? You showed us your "mistakes" and nobody laughed.  Well, Carl and I did. but we are SPECIAL; any European who looks like a wet cat and an American with an extra eye growing out of his head can do as they please! (although for me it makes making right turns super easy!)

Brussels Sprouts??!?!?!?! Whats the matter with you young lady? Them things are EVIL!

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

3 hours ago, src said:

Carl and I did. but we are SPECIAL;

Hello all

Yes you are.

Thank you my friends for not laughing at me.

The gap is about 5mm difference, I have about 9 planks to go on each side.

Carl told me to loosen up so you are not seeing the Angel in me now just the DEVIL in me 😈.

Jo.

Current Build:

Jo,

So you're less than a quarter inch off. That's not un-fixable, at least you found out now.

Calculate how many planks to finish equally, divide that by the amount you are off, then divide that by two and add that amount to the larger gap and subtract that amount from the smaller gap and you should be fine. You're 5 millimeters off, lets say you need 10 planks each side to finish, (since you need 9 your sizes will be slightly larger, I am too lazy to do the math at the moment - its Sunday here after all). That is only a 1/2mm difference, make the one set 1/4mm larger and the other 1/4mm smaller. The difference in size is less than 1/64" To put it in perspective thats 10mm on the real boat, from 34' away would you see the difference?Only someone who really looks closely will see the it, besides this is your first layer of planking, it will never be seen. In my opinion it is a good exercise to do your first layer as accurately as you can for the experience you gain.

More experienced builders may have a different take on all this, no doubt you will get several somewhat different approaches on this.

Have you read the planking tutorials here, yes?

Sam

Edited by src

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Hello from the wrecker's yard.

Ok I have finished the first planking, sorry that's a lie all I have done is add the planks to the filler to make it look like I have filled the planks 🤣🤢.

Bit more work inside the red circle.

Jo.

16948172_ILLEUDO27_0002.thumb.jpg.47ac35508208adc86a9041b2c64e1da9.jpg849736324_ILLEUDO27_0006.thumb.jpg.faef0303ebdd9f567824075b58469b57.jpg

Current Build:

looks pretty smooth, Jo. You'll find amiss the next thing after you've solved the one in the red circle ... don't keep looking for you'll certainly find something. The story of a modeller's life ...

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

On 5/2/2019 at 2:43 PM, johnothanswift said:

1751703018_mp550x550mattefffffft.3.jpg.90b6e3f3f435796b0e8b8cf8bf527376.jpg

Rule 1: DON'T PANIC. (Bonus points for getting the reference 🙂 )

Rule 2: Everything can be fixed. 

I've specifically brought a (cheap pre-built) kit which need's re decking and re planking just to get the experience of this before I build my Bounty.

Rule 3: So what, It's all a learning experience. 

When you actually accept the above rules, it all gets much easier. The instructions for these kits are vague to say the least. They all expect that you've built them before you build this one. They require many years experience, based on trial and error for people who do not have this experience.

That's the reason so many people give up.

You have a great group around you to help and give their years of experience to help you learn and (NZ quote here) "Knock the bastard off" (Extra points there 🙂 )

Don't give up, just enjoy the build, enjoy the mistakes, enjoy the learning.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

That's easy 😊

What is the ultimate answer to life, the universe, and everything... 😻

"Cambridge astronomers have found that 42 is the value of an essential scientific constant - one which determines the age of the universe."

In his novel The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1979) Mr Adams describes how an alien race programs a computer called Deep Thought to provide the ultimate answer to "Life, the Universe and Everything". After seven and a half million years' calculation, back came the answer - 42.

(Then the mice commissioned another computer, Earth, to come up with the question, unfortunately, Earth was destroyed by the Vogon's, to make way for a hyperspace bypass, before the answer was computed.   It is suggested that psychiatrists, looking at preventing a loss of earnings, may have been behind this. Future earnings etc......

And, there is also the view that if we know the question and the answer simultaneously, then the universe will be substituted for something infinitely more complex.........)

(There is another opinion that states that this has already happened)

The Hubble Constant indicates the age of the universe because if we know how quickly everything is flying apart, we can work out how long ago it was all together at the same point - like working out how long a film has been running by measuring film and knowing how many frames per second it shows.

Astronomers have bickered for decades about the constant's value, calculating it to be anywhere between 20 and 80. But large values imply that the universe is younger than its oldest stars - a logical conundrum which the new value avoids, said Dr Saunders, as it puts the universe's age at about 16 billion years.

The Cambridge team produced the measurement by combining data from X- ray telescopes with information about cosmic background radiation, leftover energy in space from Big Bang. Dr Saunders insists future revisions will alter the value of the constant from its present, resonant value. That would suit Mr Adams: "It does come up awfully often," he said."

FYI; The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was published well before this Scientific Fact was confirmed.

9b7.jpg

Edited by johnothanswift

9 hours ago, johnothanswift said:

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

What a boring play/film that was, you had to be out of your head to understand it 👽.

Anyway I have work on the other side and I have blood on my finger tips 💅.

Jo.

Current Build:

3 minutes ago, cog said:

Disregarding all those intreesting posts, did you manage to solve the issue in the red circle? (with or without blood)

Hello Carl

I have work to do  first then onto my ship, so the answer is no.

I think it just needs filling and sanding down again, will send you a PM now.

Jo.

Current Build:

Ah forgot, I'm still working, now from home, so these are "in between" responses. I keep on forgetting you just start your workday when I'm in overtime, which is lately kind of normal ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

10 hours ago, SHIPSCAT said:

What a boring play/film that was, you had to be out of your head to understand it 👽.

Anyway I have work on the other side and I have blood on my finger tips 💅.

Jo.

Forget the play and the movie... one needs to read the books. Or at least the first one.  

I think your hull is looking great.   A bit of filler where the red circle is along with a light sanding and you're ready for the final planking of the hull.  I'm not sure if they have you do other things between the first and second planking so follow directions. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The books are the only way to go :-)

Your hull is looking great, sanding, filler, sanding, bog (yet more sanding), are 'the' way to go with double planking. Get a good base, 'foundation' then bring out the highlights with the second layer. 😊

(Please excuse the slight Kiwi sarcasm, as your an Aussi I'm sure you'll get it)

Edited by johnothanswift

checking in on your progress Jo...........you should look in on some of my planking.   it's a good thing I like to paint  :D :D   looking at where you are now,  you did a great job......filler will be your friend.   earlier,  when I looked at the progress,  it's plain to see that the bow and stern are pretty much the same.  technique wise.  basically,  you want to keep the planking as straight as you can,  so the use of stealers would have helped you here......at both ends.  stealers are sections of planking that are run from the stems,  to where the curvature of the preceding planking begins.   they are tapered to a point and laid to get back to the straight line.  for beginner plankers,  it best to do the planking in short lengths and stagger the butts,  so you'll have better control and not have to deal with the entire strip.   built up,  you would have defeated the curvatures at both ends.  then you could have laid the garboard plank at the keel and worked that down to the other line,  closing it up with a suitable plank width.   I tend to let the plank tell me how things go....forcing planking is a good way to achieve the clinker effect.  you want to stay away from that  ;)   if it dictates that stealers are needed.....I put them in. .....if not,  I taper.   a second technique is Jogging......but this is a bit more involved.  here,  your starting with a single plank from the center,  merging two planks when you near the bow or stern stems.  think of it as two stealers merged into one to join the original plank strake.   I'm not a fan of second planking......I think it'a an extreme waste of good wood.  I only done it on a couple of my models.....even then,  I used thin strip to do it.  your doing a great job so far........keep up the good work  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

It gets better and better KUDOS.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Hello shipmates

Well this is the next instalment of the little IL Leudo's building disaster :rolleyes:.

I have finished planking the other side + filling and sanding.

I thought it looked Ok till I seen the photos, so looks like more sanding 🤢.

Tell me how smooth should it be before I put the second planking on.

I don't know what has happened to me as I am thinking about what ship next to build, am I ill and should I go and see my doctor ??.

Jo.

724616573_ILLEUDO28_0002.thumb.jpg.b585024a117b4dc679c890f87f5bf31c.jpg897605519_ILLEUDO28_0005.thumb.jpg.95c9eacf012eecb9a12d22271cf02490.jpg147634276_ILLEUDO28_0006.thumb.jpg.a3c1c34bfe4615f52c3caf9d265e8ec1.jpg1717855615_ILLEUDO28_0007.thumb.jpg.34c18dc2d5e11de52819d44f3936c232.jpg2121245997_ILLEUDO28_0009.thumb.jpg.2001e76d979c87bfdd3e683cd47e8e59.jpg

Current Build:

Hi Jo,

Looks good from here.  Try this though.. close your eyes and run your fingers lightly over the hull.  What you want to find out is if there any bumps, dips, or plank ends sticking. 

As for thinking about your next model, that's not uncommon.  I daresay you're getting hooked on this hobby. :)

Edit:  Looks like John and I cross-posted.   The cat is right.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey Jo.

Remember that first planking doesn't have to be perfect. Try to see what flaws will be covered by the second planking and forget about them. Worry only for major defects like large bumps or hollows mainly. Small dents can be ignored. Watch for large hollows that would prevent the outer planks from gluing properly.

You are doing great so far. Your hull looks great to me.

Keep on it!!!

Oh, and it is very normal to start thinking about your next model. ;)

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

agree with the others.........as long as the contour of the hull is smooth,  with equal spacing along the keel and stems,  then you've done a darn good job  ;)      thoughts of other ship..........nawwwwwww.....it'll pass  :ph34r:   that is........unless your like me,  and act on 'em  :rolleyes:

only if you have limited space...........then........you might want to worry  :D  :D  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

13 hours ago, SHIPSCAT said:

2121245997_ILLEUDO28_0009.thumb.jpg.2001e76d979c87bfdd3e683cd47e8e59.jpg

This is a fabulous work of planking for a beginner. I would not even do a second planking as the model looks so much like those real fishing boats that you can see on the southern coasts of France and Spain. The real boats are beat up of intense usage and your model is just perfect as it looks. Finish it, some nice weathering and you will have a fabulous piece to show in your home.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Hello all

After the first planking the next job was drill some holes.

Well as I don't have a large drill I had to go and beg the man next door (good job I cooked dinner for him and his wife last night 😀) so he loaned me his cordless DeWalt drill.

When he handed it over I just about dropped it on the concrete footpath, walking back home (well staggering is a better word :rolleyes:) I thought how am I going to drill holes with this thing, but drill holes I did JUST, sorry they are all over the place.

I now have to phone for a Taxi to take it back .

Jo.

725815946_ILLEUDO29_0002.thumb.jpg.282711ecfdc6e47706021b656647fcb2.jpg492471268_ILLEUDO29_0003.thumb.jpg.5d05bc9564f5de6b3841828cad714d29.jpg630996840_ILLEUDO29_0007.thumb.jpg.5afc3aeddb51dc084602dace5370e948.jpg

Current Build: