U-552 by yvesvidal - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/48 - PLASTIC - Type VIIC U-boat

Hello Yves,

I believe the Trumpeter U-552 kit has all the other U-Boat compartments... Have you completed the entire U-552 kit?

Regards,

Don_

PS - attached is a photo pf U-552, 2nd image (right) the wind deflector was added...

200510121313658632.jpg

udt31ra.jpg

Edited by Don_

enjoy your break, im about to take one as well, to allow myself more time to do more boat building   

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 1 month later...

Off track - you might have mentioned it before - Are you using an iphone or iPad for those great images?

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

11 hours ago, md1400cs said:

Off track - you might have mentioned it before - Are you using an iphone or iPad for those great images?

None of the above :-) The Discovery pictures are from my Android phone. Everything about the submarine is from an old Sony camera, unable to focus at short distance.

Yves

On 2/22/2020 at 6:26 AM, yvesvidal said:

None of the above 🙂 The Discovery pictures are from my Android phone. Everything about the submarine is from an old Sony camera, unable to focus at short distance.

Yves

Yes - of course - "we" Mac fanatics keep forgetting that most of the world uses Android devices..🤔

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

On 2/27/2020 at 9:28 AM, Katuna said:

Alright Spaceman Spiff, chop chop now, enough of this space "ship" talk! I need some U-Boat inspiration to get me motivated again.

:D:D:D:D:D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I am not ready to come back quite yet.... Just thinking ahead of what is to be built: the Unter-Offizier raum and Kuche ! This compartment is located forward of the Diesel engine room and after the Control Room. Although at first sight it resembles the previous Offizier Raum, it differs from it by a lot of details. The Fuel tanks are not so large and arranged differently. They also share the space with water tanks, for the crew. 

Kitchen-2.png.efc44fb83ae922ae74f19e7f65474a1f.png

This view shows what I am talking about. Batteries are in the same location, more or less, but the side fuel tanks are smaller on the aft compartment. The compartment includes sleeping berth, kitchen, restroom and some storage spaces: 

Kitchen-1.png.2499ba9297c8599c5cb47cff8958582a.png    Kitchen-3.png.99e0d04922a165fb93639da836d53a1a.png

The Sleeping area is surrounded by one Fresh Water tank and by a Grey Water tank, used for cleaning. These two large tanks seat on top of the Fuel tank. Finally, we have a Waste Water tank located behind the batteries, on the lower level: 

Kitchen-4.png.ba538e1196fb8454462f7e7d9cccbfc8.png

As you can easily guess, Trumpeter has not provided any of these important details. Therefore, we will have to fabricate some walls and re-organize somewhat the original kit.

Below are the Trumpeter instructions as an appetizer: 

DSC04344.thumb.JPG.7bb50183a51fe23040003c9dcd4602c3.JPG

DSC04345.thumb.JPG.ce43293de67ad5063310e3641269d409.JPG

DSC04346.thumb.JPG.f03f5b46582d638a9f1c1d85cb91484e.JPG

DSC04347.thumb.JPG.13b2e8ead9c22e90196741f15d2d50ae.JPG

DSC04348.thumb.JPG.5b00efbd26a525d991ed3cf630a08a6f.JPG

DSC04349.thumb.JPG.376e4bfd8da85c2dbbc5e78da22fdb62.JPG

DSC04350.thumb.JPG.443908cf145a26267152338b4416e20b.JPG

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Is the Gray Water for cleaning or is it the dump tank from the urinals and sinks?  I'm curious as the definition may have changed to the toilet/sink water draining.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The gray water was used to flush the toilets. The kitchen was equipped with two faucets, one with fresh water for cooking and drinking and another one with salt water for washing dishes and maintenance. Besides this, I am not too sure and would have to research it. If I find something, I'll post it here.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

I did some Googling in depth... gray is the water from the sinks, etc.  Yes, used to flush the toilets and some cleaning.  Black water is the water and waste from the toilets.  I wasn't aware that the subs used sea water for cleaning but then it makes sense as sea water was/is used on surface ships.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Here is an excerpts of the U-Boot Manual, regarding Fresh, Grey/Wash and Salted waters:

1)  Sea water installation.
    To provide sea water collection in the galley, there is a branch off the cooling water manifold in the diesel engine room, which leads to the valve and a tap in the wash sink.
    The warm sea water installation branches off from cooling water head tank in the conning tower casing and leads to the wash basins in both W.C.s and to the wash sink in the galley.
    The discharge line of the auxiliary drain and trim pump branches off to the deck wash line.  A shower head can be connected to this line, attached to the net protector, and stowed again after usage.

2)  Wash water installation.
    Wash water is stored in the following tanks:
            1 wash water tank (listening room)
            1 wash water daily supply tank (aft W.C.)
    As reserve tanks there are:
            Torpedo compensating tank 1
            Torpedo compensating tank 2
    Wash water tank and wash water daily supply tank are connected to the fresh water filling and extracting line.  Tanks are filled through the intake at the upper deck.
    The hand fresh water pump is used for filling the wash water daily supply tank from the wash water tank.  A hand wash water pump provided in the forward W.C., to which a suction line can be switched by the selector cock to the wash water tank or to torpedo compensating tank 2.  Extracting the wash water from torpedo compensating tank 1 takes place by means of compressed air.

3)  Fresh water installation.
    Fresh water is stored in 3 tanks (3.870 m³) situated in:
            Fresh water tank 1: Galley, port, under the floor
            Fresh water tank 2: Control room, port
            Fresh water tank 3: Officers room, stb.
U-505TableMargin.gif U-505TableMargin.gif U-505TableMargin.gif

The fresh water tanks are connected to the filling and extracting line through the fresh water selector cock.  The line leads through the hull valve at the upper deck and inside the hull branches off to the emergency drain connection.  The hand fresh water pump in the galley takes suction from selected tank and discharges through the control valve either directly to the tap in wash sink or through the filter.
    The water supplied by the distilling unit in the control room is collected in the distillate tank and is moved through the control valve either directly or through the filter to fresh water tank 1 in the galley.

All fresh and wash water tanks have sounding pipes and dip sticks.

Edited by yvesvidal

Thanks Yves.   That explains a lot as I'm not familiar with subs at all.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I started working on the kit again, and realized the extent of the disaster for this particular compartment. A lot of surgery and modifications will have to be done if we want this section to have some kind of semblance to the prototype. I suspect that this section was designed during a national Chinese Holiday and that their Rice based alcohol was flowing liberally....

Anyway, the first piece to get a massive cut is the back wall. For some unknown (to me) reason, that wall protrudes outside of the pressure hull to reach the sky, right under the deck.... Go figure.

DSC04359.JPG

As you can see below, once in place this is what it does. I assume that the ingress pipe for the engine and some air tanks are supposed to hide that mistake, but this is not very serious:

DSC04360.JPG

DSC04361.JPG

And so we cut..... and we will file later on.

DSC04363.JPG

Second crazy thing, the molding of that bulkhead. This is the forward bulkhead separating the kitchen/sub-officers section from the control room. In my world (and the world of German engineers) there is a fuel tank going through and a water tank terminating at this location. So why are we getting a bunch of big bolts? I suppose it is an artistic license from the Trumpeter.

DSC04364.JPG

And so we file.....

DSC04365.JPG

Third incongruity: The floor for the batteries. The kit calls for a slanted floor, giving a nice inclination for all the acid to spill. In addition, the proposed floor is flat and not staged as the forward batteries compartment was. Finally, that floor only holds half of what it should, in term of batteries. So we are going to need some surgery, de-construction and re-modelling.

First, I am using the floor of the second set of parts I have to build something that resembles the drawings (go back a couple of posts earlier for details):

DSC04366.JPG

Then I am cutting that floor in three sections, in order to create a stepped like floor with three levels: 

DSC04367.JPG

This is all glued back with styrene strips (your best friend with Trumpeter kits)....

DSC04368.JPG

DSC04369.JPG

Et voila. We now have something that looks more like the blue-prints.

DSC04370.JPG

Next, we will be butchering the bulkheads.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Well done,sir. Glad you're back. When you crack open the kit again and these glaring mistakes hit you in the face, it makes you wonder "why" sometimes. But, such is the challenge of a detail-oriented modeler.

Curious to the answer you get over a that "other" forum. Like what you've done with the battery shelves though.

Welcome back!

Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722 during their 15th patrol.

Yay!  Glad to have you back!  Looking forward to more of this masterful build. 

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Welcome back Yves Looking forward to following your progress again.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

A little update to show a lot of work. I spent my evening fabricating a compartment for the batteries. Something that looks more prototypical and that may explain how this submarine was designed and built. Only drawback, it will be hard to see once it is finished, but the satisfaction to know that all is there is priceless.

DSC04371.thumb.JPG.9aea498b4a1a801c538f43d8795b408b.JPG

Basically, we have an entire box fabricated to hold the 18 Battery blocks. Some blocks have four cells, other only have three. On each side of that battery box, fuel tanks. I am skipping the fabrication of the wasted water tanks, as it is impossible to see from outside.

DSC04372.thumb.JPG.846ee2dc65cd671a41d34a72258e2bd3.JPG

Here (above) we have a view of the fuel tank (lower position) with a window cut on the battery compartment, and topped by the water tank, arriving almost aligned with the top of the bunks.

Below, the small window to the aft batteries room will not allow me to depict a sailor filing up electrolyte in the cells, as I did in the front batteries room. I may skip the first row of batteries as it will completely occult the inside perspective. I still have to build the pressure hull, which will be used to finish the fuel tank in the front.

DSC04373.thumb.JPG.4c1fb7eed28e5938de4e87145d13103e.JPG

DSC04374.thumb.JPG.d504f28192fcaa46c3507adcecf95dac.JPG

With the deck installed, we can say good-bye to the 18 battery modules..... Well, at least, it looks more realistic than the Trumpeter kit approach.

DSC04375.thumb.JPG.e0e250b000cd62038749cb335666f956.JPG

Finally, the complete sandwich, showing the rather large volume dedicated to the fuel tank. Next, we will be cutting the front bulkhead to open the fuel tank and the ballast tanks on the side.  After that, we can start painting all the walls and bulkheads, batteries and put everything together.

DSC04376.thumb.JPG.c3018b90f44243cb7d8b7ffb31deeb2d.JPG

Yves

I have finished working on the fuel tank, located on each side of the Officers/Kitchen compartment. The goal is to create a tank which is as close as possible to the prototype and that will reach under the Control room, as indicated in the blue-prints. It is a tedious work with a lot of adjustments. The bulkhead is completely opened and a round enclosure is fabricated: 

DSC04380.thumb.JPG.4da24aa670508fac62bb2219a1779913.JPG

DSC04381.thumb.JPG.22e4597f102dd6631520ae29c4dae609.JPG

DSC04379.thumb.JPG.095f398418ab644e22690cae6fe17304.JPG

The module is dry-fitted into the hull: 

DSC04384.thumb.JPG.7cf2116e10575cb94f161b25cd811be0.JPG

I have created a cut in the side water tank, to allow a better view in the kitchen, pantry and toilet room. Batteries will be sitting underneath.

DSC04378.thumb.JPG.00fe15227654473869f7017ae8592d44.JPG

On the picture (above), you can see the round enclosure that will extend under the control room, to form the largest past of the fuel tank.

Now, to paint everything and start installing all the batteries....

DSC04387.thumb.JPG.d772b0e5a25afd1ad7fff6d16b801990.JPG

Yves

if the battery cut away in only on one side,  would a single row of batteries would show that it's full?...just fill in the cut away opening.   the fabrication looks great...I noticed that the bottom can't be seen through the cut away in the hull.  another thing to think about is how the batteries are serviced.  yea......I know.......with no openings in the bulkheads there's a lot to be considered here.....you've put so much into this model.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Small progress on something that will never be seen again: The batteries!!!

DSC04389.thumb.JPG.4ae829be4012726f9ce5d4e63bc35927.JPG

I did not install the last row as it would prevent all visibility into the compartment.

DSC04390.thumb.JPG.bdff3dca2213dee38bdb1ba942017171.JPG

A tiny LED has also be mounted on the bulkhead to provide some light and attract the interest of the audience.

DSC04391.thumb.JPG.cdcdb9e11f4d676de97c9acec2f094a8.JPG

Once the deck is in place, that vision of a large number of cells all lined up will disappear.

The Trumpeter approach is to tilt the floor of that compartment and show three rows of batteries, leaning dangerously to starboard. I guess, they made the decision to show in a simplistic way what each compartment was used for. It is commendable but I am looking for something slightly more realistic with my model.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Yves, I just found this build log. What a fascinating project. I followed your Moebius build and look forward to following you throughout this one, even though I am a little late to the party. It will take me a couple of days to catch up as I plan to start at the beginning and read every word.

Best regards