Sassafras 12 by ccoyle - Chesapeake Light Craft - FINISHED - 1:1 scale canoe - you read that right

Very well done, Chris.   I hope it brings you many hours of joy and that it doesn't get commandeered by the youngsters all the time.   Looking forward to the on the water photos.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Chris that blue looks great in the sun, sets the whole thing of very nicely!

As for your concluding thoughts, I couldn't agree more with the last two.

Great looking canoe you've created there Chris.  I expect you'll get a great deal of enjoyment and use out of this kit post construction!

Chris, congratulations. Well done, I hope every minute on the water is a tonic for the soul. 

Congratulations on your beautiful canoe. 

This adventure was nice to follow. 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Chris, fantastic job on an awesome project! I’m sure this canoe will bring you and your kids some very good times. 

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

Congratulations on a completing your canoe Chris.  She looks great and I wish you many hours of peaceful paddling. 

Gary  

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Congratulations on your beautiful canoe Chris. She looks like she will have many years of making happy memories ahead of her. I agree with the others though, the build is not finished until we see some pictures or movies of her on the water actually being used! Kind of a proof of concept kind of thing.:D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Congratulations on finishing your canoe.  You did a great job on this and I know you cannot wait to get it in the water.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Awesome job man, congratulations!  Love the name and the colors.  Thanks for sharing the journey!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Maiden Voyage

Today was the big day! I took the Kat to Lake Cunningham today. The boat launch is only about five miles from my house. The first challenge was to get her up on my car by myself.

Here we are, all loaded up on the soft roof pads, everything cinched up tight and the ends tied down. The CRV has front and rear anchor points for just such tasks.

sass85.thumb.jpg.07c6d0a141791a03f1726b1b742649b8.jpg

Several people at the lake commented on how nice Kat looked and were surprised to hear she's a home-built. There was a nice grassy spot for putting in.

sass86.thumb.jpg.e1e8c19174e8f483e425699d3da7bcda.jpg

It was a great day for paddling. It would've been a perfect day if the fish were biting, but they didn't cooperate for me. They didn't appear to be cooperating for anyone else, either.

sass87.thumb.jpg.94ee56b5cf17d4e1ec05b7c7ecdc6a2e.jpg

In this next photo, that wooden structure off in the distance is the public fishing pier, which in late summer will be totally socked in with weeds and lily pads.  Notice that I am out in the glorious open channel, where I can fish the outside margin of the weed beds. Ain't boats wonderful? Speaking of boats, both of the lakes near my house have 10 hp limits on motors, so there's no water skiers and Sea-Doos tearing up the place. Sweeeeeet.

242994922_sass88(2).thumb.jpg.319eae10f304c8c5a23a0be22664d635.jpg

After about four hours of leisurely fishing, it was time to haul out. Did you know that fishing in mesotrophic reservoirs gives one's beautiful new boat a bathtub ring of sorts? Fortunately, it washed off easily.

sass89.thumb.jpg.1fae1eea10c1ebc418e6740af1c8800b.jpg

Tomorrow we Americans have a federal holiday, so who knows? The Kat may hit the other lake tomorrow.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Sounds like a great way to spend 4 hours, Chris.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows 

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Congrats Chris on a successful launch, well done.

As for the ring around the hull, that's just how you mark the waterline! You should see it on a white hull after heavy rain washes everything into the waterways.

Great successful maiden voyage, even with no fish, it looked like a peaceful Sunday "messing about on the water"😊😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Chris, great first day out, I don't think you could have asked for better weather. It's nice to see the perfect finish to someone's hard work. Did your mouth hurt from all the grinning? :)

• 3 weeks later...

congrats Chris!   very nice finish..........glad to hear the first outing was a success!  building a model has it's pride........but building a 1:1 model and taking her out to enjoy beyond,  has to hold a special sense of accomplishment! :)    as a young lad,  I used to enjoy rowing around the lake at my uncle's camp............I am soooooo envious!

the decals is small potatoes........you can only see one side at a time  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 9 months later...

So, I don't believe I told anyone around here about what happened to the poor Sha-Sam-Kat. After taking her out for only the fourth time last year, I had her turned over on the lawn to dry after rinsing out some dirt. A few hours later, I flipped her over and lo and behold -- the seat had fallen out! Not only that, but some of the paint had reacted badly with the seat's contact cement, causing the paint to peel up. Needless to say, I was not pleased. In the meantime, my womenfolk had taken over my work area and proceeded to use it for a seemingly endless series of furniture refinishing projects (which the two of them are actually pretty good at), and it only became available again just this week. So, step one was to remove all of the old contact cement residue and peeled paint, then sand down the area. Fortunately, I still have leftover paint from the original work, and here's the Kat after two coats of primer.

sass90.thumb.jpg.9765f2a5aedbe569c6befdecf303ee78.jpg

Next will be several coats of the top color. Each has to dry for at least 16 hours before the next coat can be applied, so I might have the repair done by next weekend. By then, her new and better replacement seat should have arrived, at which time I'll post a pic of the finished work.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I hope the new seat gets bolted in, Chris. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

A boat is a hole in the water you throw money into.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

2 hours ago, Canute said:

A boat is a hole in the water you throw money into.

Yep, it stands for Break Out Another Thousand... (my '68 14' Starcraft Arrow absolutely supports this ideal)

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

The fix looks good and just in time for rowing season.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

23 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

just in time for rowing season

Yup. This past weekend was a tad windy, so I postponed first dunk until the weather improves a bit.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Back on the water. A bit chilly today. Caught a gargantuan unidentified shiner species and a few bluegill.

164124671_cunningham04022022(2).thumb.jpg.ec1c1e5d29a6e195c832d940a4f8429f.jpg

120923314_cunningham04022022b.thumb.jpg.8c54a73be662399d1037740264a1f4e6.jpg

1571566894_cunningham04022022a.thumb.jpg.5d93df5cecf4ab884df1b82d7b688e66.jpg

EDIT: So, apparently this was a golden shiner. Supposedly the most common shiner in Eastern North America, but new to this here California ex-pat.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco