28 foot American cutter by druxey - FINISHED - 1:48 scale

Imitating expensive woods (or marble) has been very much en vogue until the 1920s or and still seems to enjoy a certain tradition in some countries. Some 30 years ago I picked up this instruction manual:

Hemming, C. (1985): Paint Finishes.- 144 p., London (Macdonald & Co.).

that describes in detail how to do 'wood-graining', 'marbelling' and other techniques and what tools and materials to use.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

So, the moldings I cut and ebonized yesterday have been assembled on the base and the acrylic pedestals installed. The model has been mounted on these using spots of epoxy. I now have to wait for the case to be made before I can mount the base on the much larger sub-base and attach the oars. Almost there!

IMG_2829.jpg

IMG_2830.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Druxey...just wonderful.  She is so very clean and ship shape.

Very fine job indeed.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

There is something very appealing about these smaller models, and it is a testament to your skill and ability to be able to create such a gem.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I'm curious how the yoke control line would be run. The short yoke provides very little leverage and the rudder has a fair amount of area. Short as it is, for the yoke to function short of Herculean effort, the yoke sheets would have to be run as near to right angles to the yoke ends as possible. Might they be run through turning blocks attached to the back of the stern sheets backrest and from there to the sides of the hull inboard and thence through turning blocks inboard to another set in line with with the front of the after-most oarsman? Or with a shorter run so the control sheets were in front of a coxswain sitting in the stern sheets?

Will the model include a sailing rig, set up or stowed aboard?

Thanks to all who checked in and commented.

Bob: The yoke is based on ones seen on contemporary models (see example below, SLR 1820). None have long arms, so presumably the leverage was sufficient. None show the lines and/or how they were run, but it would be reasonable to assume some kind of leading blocks. There is no indication of any on the cutter in the Venetian museum, so we are left hanging. This model will not show sails or rigging, just oars deployed.

The case should be completed on Thursday, so no more can be done until then.

image.png.c23839a1aac2534dbc60db0bb8e541dd.png

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Yes,  by 1900, US Navy cutters could be steered with either a yoke or a short tiller.  The yoke was a fancy casting of Composition Metal, the Navy’s name for copper alloys (brass and bronze).  Hitchborn includes a detailed pattern in his book.  The two horns are longer than those that Druxey shows.

That being said Druxey is not modeling a 1900 US Navy Standard Cutter but a MidNineteenth Century Cutter built by a private shipyard for use by a foreign navy.  The rudder pattern itself is different from that for the U.S Navy Boat.

Roger

5 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

Druxey is not modeling a 1900 US Navy Standard Cutter but a MidNineteenth Century Cutter built by a private shipyard for use by a foreign navy.  

The cutter was from a USN ship and ended up in another navy. See ...

I don't know about the differences in rudder shape.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

The acrylic case has arrived and the sub-base is boing constructed to fit. As soon as the casework is complete, I shall mount the base on the sub-base and set about deploying the oars. Stay tuned!

Beautifully executed. Love the nails in the hull. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Druxey, as the boat clearly has fittings to take a mast, what would your take be on how it was rigged?

I'm always dubious of the shroud fittings on the ubiquitous 'Meadway Longboat' so often seen here, indeed I seem to be the only person regularly questioning this detail.

As it is, the cutter you portray has no fittings to enable any kind of mast cordage (that I can see).

My contention has always been that these boats were rarely if ever fitted with shrouds, but must have had kevels belay pins or some other purchase points for mast and sail rigging.

Well, Shipman, there are ringbolts attached to the inwales as well as hooked cleats near the stern. These all must be for attaching rigging. There are two ringbolts a side forward and one on each side aft. In addition, there is an eyebolt on each side just forward of the mast step. An example of cutter rig from the period is:

image.png.cbd8aac3ebc435b73300daaa5ef335c5.png

This is ZAZ 7143, a 25 foot cutter in the RMG (NMM) collection. However, I'm unsure how a bowsprit (if present) was rigged on the 28 foot American cutter. This is one reason I'm not rigging the model.

Elegant!

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

Shipman,

In the Eighteenth Century, Royal Navy, Longboats were sloop (or rather Cutter)  rigged.  There is ample evidence to support this-  rigged models, contemporary paintings, and a detailed rigging drawing reproduced in May’s warship boats book.  Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge no one has made a detailed study of the provence of much of this information.   The painting of the rigged Longboat by Dominic Serres that appears on the cover of May’s book is, however, indisputable.  There is a spirited discussion elsewhere on the forum discussing this topic.

Roger

According to my 1878 textbook on naval (and other boats), the cutters in the Imperial German Navy, which were modelled after those of the RN according to a statement in this book, had a yawl-rig with lug-sails and a short running bow-sprit, very similar to the drawing David showed earlier. The driver-mast was bracketed to the transom.

Gigs and smaller boats had a single lug-sail.

I have no information on Italian naval boats, but it seems that they were quite similar all around the world at that time.

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Thank to all for the discussion and comments. Finally some progress to report!

The sub-base is complete to fit the acrylic case. For those curious, there is a central hole for air circulation with gauze meh to discourage insect infiltration. The two pieces of 1/64" ply act as an air gap between the sub-base and base of the model. Oars will be added tomorrow.

IMG_2833.jpg

IMG_2834.jpg

Air gap and mesh!

What else us there to learn?

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Splendid work Druxey - so delicate and well crafted.

I am curious - early on in the build you expressed regrets about selecting castello for the project instead of holly.  Since you found a way to work with the castello, would you choose it again or opt for a different species? 

Looking forward to the final glamour shots.  

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Thank you, one and all. Almost complete now! The oars have been installed and all that remains are final touch-ups, dusting and adding the case over the model.

In the first photo you can see the second bank of oars going in, resting on a block of suitable height and shimmed with card. The retaining pins for the acrylic case are also done and temporarily inserted.

IMG_2835.jpg

IMG_2836.jpg

IMG_2837.jpg

IMG_2838.jpg

Looking darned good.  If it were any of the sea cadets I knew the sweeps would be all wonkey!

Still waiting to see how the rudder yoke connects to the tiller.  I know how it worked on the whalers but they had a mizzen mast to pivot on.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)