28 foot American cutter by druxey - FINISHED - 1:48 scale

Yes, Eberhard, there are 'tin' bands on the oar blades, but it's hard to see them in the photos.

Alan: There is no tiller, just a yoke with two lines attached. As I don't know the run of those lines, I'm omitting them.

Steve: The oars are attached using both a dab of epoxy backed up with PVA. Belt and braces!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thank you, everyone. So, we come to the end of this particular journey. I appreciate all who have followed along. Happy model-making to you all.

BTW, I've no idea what might be next - yet.

IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2841.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Congrats!!! This is such an inspirational build! Thank you for documenting your progress in this log, it has taught me a lot of techniques. Everything is just perfectly executed 🙂 

Edited by WalrusGuy

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

Magnificent, it's been a real masterclass. 

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Thank you for the detailed & patient explanation of this fine model. 

I find the tiller yoke question intriguing. Is there any evidence that they might have used metalwork fittings that integrated with the timber piece you showed? I find the rope idea unsatisfying, the leverage doesn't look quite right.

Mark

Thanks again, all.

Mark: I wish I had more insight as to the rudder and yoke arrangement, but unfortunately I don't. If anyone out there can shed further light on the mystery, I'd be grateful.

Thanks for the educational approach provided in your build log Druxey.  You have built yet another very nice model that is both inspirational and something of beauty.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

The many “expert commentators” here are a bit hilarious, it tries to detract from the completely amazing quality and beauty of the actual model. Fortunately it doesn’t succeed, the model stands out as to what a gifted expert can accomplish that the rest of us can only dream about.  

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thank you for the ride, druxey.

The skill displayed with this wonderful model shows what can be done in a relatively short time, not only intriguing your audience but presumably providing yourself a real sense of inestimable accomplishment.

Super!

Would it be possible to provide a few photographs taken from 'water level', to show the lines as most of the previous are overhead shots?

Congrats for finishing this beautyful model. It's looking really wonderful.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Shipman: Gosh, some folk are never satisfied! Here are some lower viewpoint pics. Hard to do through the acrylic.

Thanks again everyone, for your interest and kind comments.

IMG_2842.jpg

IMG_2843.jpg

IMG_2844.jpg

Wonderful model! Thank you for taking the time to share this great work with us.

What a pleasure to have been able to follow this wonderful adventure.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

You never fail to please us with your work.   I always believed smaller can be just as satisfying and intriguing as big and fancy, and you have proven that very clearly in both cases over the years.   

Kudos

Allan 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On the yoke vs. tiller: I had a look in my old textbooks on naval boats, but there they state that cutters may use a yoke for steering and it is not very wide. I gather, when being rowed, sharper turns can be achieved by rowing on one side only, while under sail, the driver placed far aft, yawl-fashion would aid the steering by either hauling it more or less taught, so changing the tendency of the boat going into the wind or otherwise. Thus the rudder would only be needed for small corrections of the course.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

what a lovely build, Stunning

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

David, the last pic in post #393 captures the essence of the delicateness of your wonderful model. The warmth of the illuminated hull planks, by design or default, emphasizes how very special this miniature watercraft is.  

Edited by Keith Black

Thanks for letting us look over your shoulder, Druxey.   Spectacular work at a level I think we all want to attain.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)