NRG VIRTUAL WORKSHOP - USING THE TABLE SAW

NRG VIRTUAL WORKSHOP

USING THE TABLE SAW SAFELY

Saturday, December 11, 2021

Plan to attend the next NRG Virtual Workshop on Saturday, December 11, 2021, at 10:00 AM CST entitled "Using the Table Saw Safely".   Presented by NRG Director Kurt Van Dahm.  This is an updated version of Kurt's talk which was presented at the 2018 NRG Conference in Las Vegas.  As usual this event is free to NRG members while others can attend for the bargain price of $5.00.

The safe use of smaller table saws, like the Byrnes saw, will be the subject of the presentation.  Though smaller than full-sized table saws, model-sized saws can still take a finger off or severely injure the modeler if they are used in an unsafe manner.   Kurt will show how to perform rip cuts, cross cuts, lap joints, miters and other common operations in a safe and efficient manner.  Many modelers say they are totally intimidated by the dangers of the table saw and that they are hesitant to use the saw they purchased.  After this program, these modelers should be less hesitant to use their saw.   And those modelers who routinely use their saws will appreciate the tips on proper saw set-up.   At a minimum this presentation will provide a helpful review of safety tips and might even prevent an injury due to complacency.

Pre-Registration is required, and registration is now open.  Use the link below to register.  This is free to NRG members and non-members can attend for the low price of $5.00.  Follow the directions on the website link page to register.  

LINK

https://thenrg.org/event-4571585

NRG members should be able to select the FREE registration option after starting the registration process and entering the email address on file with the NRG.  You may need to log into your NRG account to register for free.  If you're not sure how to log into your account, click here for more information

Not an NRG member?  Click here for information on joining!   We plan to have several of these Workshops each year.  With NRG memberships starting at $40 you will receive the quarterly Nautical Research Journal, discounts on NRG products and FREE admission to the Workshops. 

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

This is really great, Kurt. It's exactly what I need now that I'm seriously thinking of getting a Byrnes saw. I'd like to keep my fingers intact since I play guitar also!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Well, I didn't buy the Byrnes... but I did buy the Proxxon table saw!
Really looking forward getting my first lessons and demonstrations on the different cuts!

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

In woodworking the table saw (the large one) is the most dangerous tool out there. And many of the same problems exist using the smaller cousins. Kickback from misaligned fences and blades, fingers slipping into the blade due to the unexpected and a whole host of other issues due to repetitive work and inattention are just a few of the dangers. I hope as many folks as possible will attend!

Keep a pleasant hobby pleasant!

• 2 weeks later...

If criteria are fulfilled, membership or one time payment, will a recording be available for download at a later date?

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

A recording will be available on the membership side of the website.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Love my Byrnes table-saw but need to learn more how to use it properly and safe.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend live but looking forward to the recorded session.

Thank you for setting this up!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I am glad that a recording will be made.  The HRSMS meets on the second Saturday of each month, so I will miss the live presentation.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

My local club meets Saturday evening.  Being virtual at least I don't have to clean the shop for the meeting after doing the workshop.😎

It might be a bit before it's viewable on the website but it will get up there.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

8 hours ago, kurtvd19 said:

My local club meets Saturday evening.  Being virtual at least I don't have to clean the shop for the meeting after doing the workshop.😎

It might be a bit before it's viewable on the website but it will get up there.

Kurt,  set up a virtual background and you don't have to worry about a messy shop.....

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I do that sometimes but often just rely on selective focus of the webcam making me look sharp and everything else as a blur.  I have been accused of false advertising when I look sharp though.😎

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

How was the workshop?  Unfortunately I couldn’t attend due to a bunch of kid activities today.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

24 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

How was the workshop?  Unfortunately I couldn’t attend due to a bunch of kid activities today.

Kurt did a great job explaining the necessary basics. He went over safety, setup and adjustment, various blades and accessories, different kinds of cuts and cutting lap joints. It was especially helpful for those of us who are new to table saws but also a good review for those more experienced. He said it will be available to NRG members on the website soon. He also said that there will be a part 2 workshop that will get into more advanced techniques. 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

I second BobG's comment.  A lot of great questions from the audience.  

@tlevine A shout out to Toni for keeping an eye on the questions that showed up in the chat window.  Great job answering those questions.  Thanks for your work there. 

Edited by robert952

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

Good to know guys, thanks.  I'll be on the lookout for it.  

When I bought my Byrnes saw, I had zero experience with table saws.  I watched a number of videos online which were for full sized saws before starting, but I still ended up muddling through it for a while.  Kickbacks a really scary!  Even small hobby saws are no joke!  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Back when I was on the FD and still on the ambulance I responded to a kickback situation and the saw operator wound up dead.  Combination of penetrating wound and traumatic impact of the 2 x 4.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Kickbacks re rightfully scary.  I haven't seen what Kurt did but a good friend had one and shot the 2X4 completely through the wall of his shop. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I don’t know if anyone mentioned this but my Byrnes Saw is a great tool for cutting thin brass sheet.  I also have been using it to cut brass angle and channel shapes from square or rectangular brass tubing.  Like anything else care and wooden fixtures are necessary to keep fingers away from the blade.

I usually use my Preac for the brass but the Byrnes saw just uses larger diameter slitting blades like on the Preac.  I like to make a sandwich of light aircraft plywood with the brass sheet sandwiched between the ply - everything stays nice and straight and the cut edge hardly needs to be sanded.  Drop the cut piece in acetone and the glue is dissolved.  The only thing I have ever used Duco cement on.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

44 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

my Byrnes Saw is a great tool for cutting thin brass sheet.  I also have been using it to cut brass angle and channel shapes from square or rectangular brass tubing.  

Roger,

Do you need to use a special blade?

Tom

Not a special blade but a different one that I am using for wood. When I bought the saw many years ago, I bought a very fine toothed blade; 300+ teeth, assuming that a finer toothed blade would be better for smooth cuts in wood.  It didn’t work well for wood but is perfect for sheet brass.  Cuts are distortion free.

Roger

• 4 weeks later...

Kurt - just wondering when this workshop video will be available on the NRG website as a month has now passed and it’s still not there?

Sorry, but we only have one guy who can do the editing and then posting to the website.  He's got a full time job and has had some critical work to finish before posting the video.  I think it will be posted very soon. 

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

• 3 weeks later...

The video was posted on Tuesday.  All members got the link in an email - check your spam folder in case it wound up there.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I watched the video today and it was excellent.  It should be required watching for those that are new to owning a miniature table saw.  Well presented.  Thank You.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Watched the video today Kurt - well done on an excellent presentation. Thank you.

Well, I finally did it and pulled the trigger on a Byrnes saw so I'll be watching this video again. I ordered the thickness sander also so I'll have the Byrnes trifecta now!

Kurt mentioned that there would probably be a part 2 of this online online workshop that will cover more advanced techniques and jigs. I hope that will happen pretty soon. One thing I think would be very helpful in the next workshop would be some videos or live demos of using the saw to safely make various cuts and perhaps demos of making and using various kinds of jigs also..

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

I am working on incorporating video into power points for the next workshop on the use of saws.  Will hopefully be incorporating video into the next workshop - not saws.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS