RN Roma by RGL - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350 - PLASTIC

11 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

At least in the US Navy, the realities of combat put an end to on board luxuries. I recently read that when new ships arrived in the Pacific Theatre, crews were even put to work removing paint from all interior spaces.  Interior paint was considered to be a contributing factor in the September  1942 loss of the aircraft carrier USS Wasp.  Thrown into the Guadalcanal Campaign before her crew had time to completely strip her for combat, painted surfaces helped spread fire throughout the ship.

I wonder how much of this had been done to the Italian Cruisers when they were lost at Cape Matapan.

Roger

Nevertheless the living conditions in the US Navy ships remained fairly good. Even quite cramped is some cases, there was A/C in most ships and food was quite decent with servings ok cokes, ice cream, fresh bread making machines etc.

In IJN conditions were not that good especially in certain units like submarines. Some claim, that was an psychological factor which affected negatively crew's combat performance, although i believe Japanese sailors had great self discipline and control. However even today they are building merchant vessels with less comforts for crew, small cabins with low ceilings etc. On the other hand they offer high standards of automation so even a 300K DWT oiler can fully operate with less than 20 crew members

The boat booms on the hull, the kit provides 4 and ignored a set near the Y turret. As you can see the kit plastic ones are poor. 
43B05408-8679-4D83-A906-6D13C7E4E8CA.thumb.jpeg.cb313f5324012ea8133df297f9639de0.jpeg

the PE ones are a bit bashed or replaced. 36725D16-E502-4513-A7D7-99004661161C.thumb.jpeg.dde9a8ca668a071fed1972dc07afe5e8.jpegNext is the boat davits, which are good enough but completely ignore how they worked so I fixed it with spares1D762979-B4F2-4204-ABC5-C668613D4070.thumb.jpeg.f4d53954b57fb3ea4b82ee81ca490a35.jpegB1998674-D7DF-4D23-97D2-80CB08E06897.thumb.jpeg.57274a9b6044f64b92f5d9fd450a196e.jpeg

Greg

Getting there indeed; looks great Greg.  You have mastered these now so what is your next building challenge?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

The 3D HA AA wins, since the rest of the build is so detailed.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Stunning detail and very well executed Greg; some great eye candy.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I find it interesting that they would store rafts on top of the turrets.  Seems they would be more susceptible to damage there.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

6 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I find it interesting that they would store rafts on top of the turrets.  Seems they would be more susceptible to damage there.  

I don't think it matters where they would stow them, Mark. When you consider the damage done on those ships ... splinters flying everywhere ... if not bomb fragments, parts of the ship would be flying around

4 hours ago, RGL said:

No idea why, but they removed all the ships boats before going into battle. 

That's probably a leftover from the 1600 and after period ships. To avoid men from having the idea safety was an option during battle, and in that time to avoid splinters from a shot up boat to fly over the deck, decimating gunners

NIcely done so far, RGL. "Just" one last tedious effort 

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...