Tried them already and they look beautiful....

But they just arent strong enough in 1/4" scale and below.  I may use them on Speedwell however.

belaying pins.jpg

On 8/21/2024 at 8:42 PM, thibaultron said:

Yep, blew that one. I also forgot the lower rear boss. Sorry! I've fixed the drawing.

Here are the corrected files.

Cannonade 9 Pounder with Trunnions Full Size_002_1174_62mm.stl 1.78 MB · 13 downloads

Cannonade9PounderwithTrunnionsFinal_002.thumb.jpg.fd66e4bdcf32185740edda27b92f01e8.jpg

I've had some of Ron's 9 pounder carronades resin printed. Found a local guy here to print them as my FDM printer is not up to snuff for such fine detail. Here's one with a coat of primer. I think it looks great. Thanks again Ron for sharing your STL files of these cannons. Next steps are some black paint and weathering and then off to the laser cutter to cut a carriage.

Cheers,

Todd

image.thumb.png.89491aca85094174e9a956c26937b347.png

"I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it."

Vincent Van Gogh 

On 9/2/2024 at 12:56 PM, Chuck said:

Tried them already and they look beautiful....

But they just arent strong enough in 1/4" scale and below.  I may use them on Speedwell however.

belaying pins.jpg

These look great Chuck. I don't know much about resin printing but is there stronger resin that would allow for 1/4 scale?

"I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it."

Vincent Van Gogh 

Not that I have tried yet...and I have tried many.  The extra strong stuff is not rigid.  It bends too much and is way too flexible.  It doesnt break but not what we need.  I am sure there may be stuff out there but I just havent found it yet.   Since I have so much to 3D print already those are on the backburner for the future after everything else gets done.

• 2 weeks later...

Darker 3D printed "Swiss Pear"  Deadeyes are now coming online and in stock.  Trying to print one or two sizes every day.  Pictured below are 3mm deadeyes.  Really tiny but they look great.

deadeyes swiss pear.jpg

I am also now fully stocked with "Swiss Pear single, double and triple rigging blocks.

singles pear rigging blocks.jpg

swiss pear double sheave rigging blocks.jpg

swiss pear triple sheave rigging blocks.jpg

AND YES....they are just $5 a pack.  Many sizes are even cheaper.  For example....2mm single, double and triple blocks are just $3.99 for a package of 25.  This is not a fire sale price.  This will be the normal every day pricing for these.  Give em a try.

swiss pear rigging blocks for ship models syren.jpg

Chuck's new 3/D blocks rock. Thank you for all the work you've put into this effort.

I recently ordered some "Swiss Pear" and "English" (boxwood color) 5/32" (3.8mm) ones and they look fine. As you can see in his photos, there is a very slight reflective "shine" since they are made from synthetic polymers. I touched-up a couple with colored markers to see if I could reduce this effect; it worked reasonably well, and they now faithfully resemble wood with little additional effort.

These "3/D-ers" are faithful reproductions and the price is right.😊

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Grace & Peace (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS GrecianHMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS GodspeedHMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

29 minutes ago, hollowneck said:

As you can see in his photos, there is a very slight reflective "shine" since they are made from synthetic polymers

Ron...the blocks are actually completely Matte in appearance when they come off the printer.  I use a very expensive matte dental resin for my blocks.  That very slight satin sheen is a result of each batch being polished and finished before packaging.   

I prefer a slight satin finish to my blocks and models vs. a completely flat matte finish.   An easier and less tedious way if you do prefer a matte finish would be to just place them on a paper towel and spray them with some dull coat or matte fixative from about 18 inches away.   But I will continue to polish them for initial sale.  Its just part of the process.

6 hours ago, Chuck said:

I prefer a slight satin finish to my blocks and models vs. a completely flat matte finish.   An easier and less tedious way if you do prefer a matte finish would be to just place them on a paper towel and spray them with some dull coat or mat

As the English say: "Horses For Courses" - I prefer matte, non-polished surfaces for the majority of my wood components, especially rigging. Thanks for the suggestion on using dull cote for your excellent blocks. I'll give that a try, hoping it doesn't plug or gum-up the tiny holes.

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Grace & Peace (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS GrecianHMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS GodspeedHMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren