Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

I didn't hear anyone offer to pay for wood, and If you're not getting paid, is it really work?

Bob

True...no mention of money. But, let's not get philosophical...   :P

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

let's see.........you make the wood for yourself..........some one likes it and you make some for him......but you don't get paid....hmmmmm sounds like a sub-phylum from the original hobby ***********************************wait for it**************************that would make you a pl-anthropist!  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Update.. we ain't dead in the water yet..!!!

After milling my wood, I spent a fair amount of time sorting out how to put this together.. the wales.  There's 12 strakes that start off a 3/32" thick and as they go down to the main hull planking, they thin to 1/16" which is the "normal" planking thickness.  Above the main wales, the upper works planking is 1/32" thick. 

After much experimentation and sorting things out, my approach is below. 

First two pics are how I clamp things down...

post-76-0-17013300-1421885100_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-74798600-1421885106_thumb.jpg

This one shows the actual planking...  hang with me, there's issues that I know have to be resolved due to some gaps.

1) is the second strake of wales. Solid swiss pear.

2) is the underlayment of 1/32" thick Swiss Pear. This is for the top strake of wales.

3) is the first of the planking for the upper works.  Forward of the first port will be heavier planking going from the wales upward

(last photo which is from Karl's build of Bohomme Richard.)

4) Ebony for the top wale.  It's 1/16" thick to make it easier to bend than the full thickness of the strake. 

post-76-0-20075000-1421885114_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-01975100-1421885532_thumb.jpg

The issues are the end of the ebony needs adjusting. For some reason it drooped while getting it into place.  And there's piece near the stem on the second wale where pear split.   I'm not overly concerned about it as the bolster for the hawse pipes goes over that.  The whole thing will need sanding and smoothing but for now, I'm going to continue on and finish running these to the stern and then get the other side done.  I'm also still sorting out clamps. Seems I broke two frames in the process of getting things glue up.  I have to not put so much force on those clamps. ;)

As always, feel free to click on the pics to enlarge and criticism, different ideas, etc. are always welcome.  I'm still learning this stuff.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The attention and detail you are lavishing on her should result in a very nice planking Mark.  Still hangin' there :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

The varying of the thicknesses is an interesting challenge.  I don't envy you working with the ebony but, in the final analysis it's going to look great.

Rooting for you!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I'm going to echo what the other guys have said, and also add that maybe that ebony plank could be flipped end for end to correct those drops. In the pic, it almost looks like it's curved downward at the ends. Probably just me!  :rolleyes:

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for the "likes".

The attention and detail you are lavishing on her should result in a very nice planking Mark.  Still hangin' there  :)

cheers

Pat

Thanks Pat.  I've still got my fingers crossed...  Next ship won't be French so hopefully the planking will be easier.  :)

The varying of the thicknesses is an interesting challenge.  I don't envy you working with the ebony but, in the final analysis it's going to look great.

Rooting for you!

Thanks Augie.  It is a challenge.. :rolleyes:  But, I wanted the wale's line to highlight their curve. 

I'm going to echo what the other guys have said, and also add that maybe that ebony plank could be flipped end for end to correct those drops. In the pic, it almost looks like it's curved downward at the ends. Probably just me!  :rolleyes:

Cheers

Thanks George.  It's the way the plank runs and twists.  I am going to run a file over it and get it looking more even as well as sand everything since there's some unevenness in thickness due to the bends and twists.  Since this is the first side, I may use it for the "wall side" as I'll do my experimentation here.  :D  :D :D  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

The ebony ... couldn't you use a longer plank. Like this you miss leverage to follow the strake. Furthermore, you cannot file/sand/cut it into line for the other side won't line-up.

Nice chalenges again

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

it's still early Mark.........still time for that idea you haven't thought of yet,  to come to the surface  ;)    your planking now......you've come further than  you did in V1..........that counts for a lot!   very nice start  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Mark

You may well say "As always, feel free to click on the pics to enlarge and criticism, different ideas, etc. are always welcome. I'm still learning this stuff.", but believe me, I think we're learning just as much from you as you are from us. I'm really enjoying seeing your ship grow before our eyes, photo by photo and, with it, I'm gaining as much knowledge and insight as possible in terms of perserverance and effort.

As far as the issues that you're having now, I'm sure that they'll be ironed out in no time at all.

All the best!

Patrick

Thanks Tim for the comment and to everyone for the "likes".

The ebony ... couldn't you use a longer plank. Like this you miss leverage to follow the strake. Furthermore, you cannot file/sand/cut it into line for the other side won't line-up.

Nice chalenges again

I do start with a longer plank and then bend it to shape.  The ends that don't get bent get removed and the planked is checked for length, Carl.  I think if they don't line up, one of two things will happen... I'll either shape the other side to match, or rip it off and have another go.  :)

it's still early Mark.........still time for that idea you haven't thought of yet,  to come to the surface  ;)    your planking now......you've come further than  you did in V1..........that counts for a lot!   very nice start  :)

I think you're right Denis.  I'm beyond V1.  Well into the Twilight Zone. 

Hi Mark

You may well say "As always, feel free to click on the pics to enlarge and criticism, different ideas, etc. are always welcome. I'm still learning this stuff.", but believe me, I think we're learning just as much from you as you are from us. I'm really enjoying seeing your ship grow before our eyes, photo by photo and, with it, I'm gaining as much knowledge and insight as possible in terms of perserverance and effort.

As far as the issues that you're having now, I'm sure that they'll be ironed out in no time at all.

All the best!

Patrick

Thanks Patrick.  They're being ironed out as I go.  I do find that I tend to post the "not good" stuff as well as the "good" stuff.   I think it's part of the learning curve and finding pitfalls.  The really nice thing... perhaps the biggest thing about MSW is that we all learn from each other.

Back to planking...

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Ahoy Mark :D

It is truly an amazing project you have here. An absolute pleasure to follow.

Sorry to see the crack but we all know these things happen and generally only make us better in the end. I am sure you will weather this small squall

As for your Ebony I am not sure if its correct to use spile and ebony in the same sentence but I am wondering if this might be that exception to the rule.

Good luck and happy sailing

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Looks like you are making some good progress Mark, we all do the dance one way or another.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

For someone just learning this stuff, you seem to be doing exceptionally well. I don't know  enough about what you're doing so I can't really offer you any constructive criticism, so I'll just sit back and enjoy your work. ( maybe I'll learn something :P )

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thanks for the feedback and the "likes".  

JPett, spiling is an option but at this point, I just use a file sometimes in place, other times, remove the plank, shape and re-fit.   After I get these first two wales done, I'll mark off the hull and then have to do tapering, spiling, etc. 

As Michael says, we all do the dance...  :)

Between translating the Belle-Poule monograph and planking, I'm keeping fairly busy and somedays, its seems like I don't get much done. 

Interesting material in the Belle-Poule monograph.  The rigging plan is radically different then Le Venus that Hahn used.   I see I'll need some feed-through sheaves amongst other things.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

"... I don't know enough about what you're doing ... so I'll just sit back and enjoy your work. ( maybe I'll learn something :P )

Frank

I echo that loud!!!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

For someone just learning this stuff, you seem to be doing exceptionally well. I don't know  enough about what you're doing so I can't really offer you any constructive criticism, so I'll just sit back and enjoy your work. ( maybe I'll learn something :P )

Frank

You see Mark,

I'm not the only one  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Go back in the relax mode......

Sjors

Mark your right about learning from each other, I find I learn more foremothers (from others, stupid keyboard...) mistakes and how they fixed them than I do anything else short of actuall hands on.

Now if only I could make some time for hands on myself..... ;)

Sam

Edited by src

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Very nice choice of timber, Mark, and excellent start on the planking work :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Thanks for looking in, everyone.

Port side, first three strakes.  Not too bad to my eye and I'm happy.  The pics, though tell me that I'll have to do some sanding and shaping still around the joints and also to fair and smooth things out a bit.  The big challenge here is the where the plank thickness changed and also where the hull shape changed due to the tumblehome.  I'll fix things with some sanding and then finally scraping to get the ebony dust out of the Swiss pear grain.

Onto the starboard side....

post-76-0-82762800-1422390557_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-48794400-1422390563_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

The run of the planks looks great !!  Ebony dust into the pear ---- I wouldn't have expected that.  Duly noted.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956