Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

Good to read of Judy recovering. Making hinges on a snowy day is good therapy as well. They look terrific. I have some miniature burrs that I use as countersinks. Do you have such things?

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks everyone.

Druxey I had not thought of burs probably because they really have not been part of my modelwork tool chest agency. I shall have to look into what is available from the jewelers tool shop in Edmonton when I have a few pennies to spare. I do have a Dremel with a flex shaft, but mostly it never occurs to me to use it. Perhaps I should do a bit of out of the box thinking and plug it in occasionally.

PS it is still snowing traffic is evidently rather snarly in Edmonton till this system passes.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Again Thanks for all the positive support and likes.

I mounted the hinges today first on the ridge.  small awl first made a location for the drill and then drilled with the #68 drill mounted in a pin chuck to drill the holes then one of the rivets pushed home.

post-202-0-28345500-1448423256_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-14663200-1448423257_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-97879200-1448423257_thumb.jpg

Once all the hinges were mounted I used tiny drops of thicker ACC glue Gorilla brand to temporarily hold the hinges onto the lights I will wait till the morning before opening them to add the rivets to them once they have set.

post-202-0-93189100-1448423258_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-77533000-1448423259_thumb.jpg

The blue tape is just to hold them overnight from sliding until the glue completely hardens.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Sweet. Masterpiece. I like it!!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Very nice, looks fantastic

Best Regards,

Pete

Edited by Pete48

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

excellent Fitting on that Skylight Michael,

a wonderful model work of wooden and metal parts

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Beautiful light, Michael.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Making a working hinge that looks exactly to scale is very impressive, Michael. Your work continues to inspire.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

again,  your metal work astounds me.......hinges look really neat!   skylight is looking great!  ;)   didn't know Judy was in the Hospital........so sorry to hear.  I hope she is doing better and on the road to recovery.

snow.........oh, the word be deaf to thy ears.........we haven't seen it yet.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for all the positive comments and likes they are really appreciated.

I just got home from the Hospital, Judy is improving.

This morning i had a little time before heading into Edmonton to work on the skylight. I created a crude jig on a sheet of paper with a couple of blocks stuck down with some masking tape. This was to enable working on the light while temporarily attached with the glue. 

When the lights were opened up one of the temporary glue joints let go so I started the hole drilling with the hinge that was still glued to ensure that the position of the light remained fixed relative to the ridge and central divider between the lights.

post-202-0-89737800-1448517217_thumb.jpg

Because of the set up angle I was able to drill the holes for the rivets in the lights.

post-202-0-69540400-1448517218_thumb.jpg

The rivets were pressed in and then glued with some thin Acc glue

post-202-0-57613200-1448517219_thumb.jpg

After completing the lights on the first side I set it up to see how they looked......not good they did not sit down fully

post-202-0-18173600-1448517221_thumb.jpg

This was one of those moments that had intuitively crossed my mind earlier when making the slots for the hinges in the top ridge. one of the thoughts was to set the hinges into the ridge the full depth of the folded hinge to eliminate the hassle of getting the notches perfect on the lights. It also allowed the lights to seat up fully well almost fully to the ridge.

The thing that I had completely failed to really understand was the minute amount of the rivet heads was enough to prevent the hinges from fully closing....what to do?  the hinges were set with pins and glued. I decided to deal with this later and made a change with the second side. The change involved setting up the lights so that the hinges could be mounted so that from the top when the light were closed thee looked clean, but that they would be slightly open underneath to allow for the heads.

The second side was drilled as the first side and the countersinks were made just a little larger then the hinges were unglued with a number 11 blade after marking their positions.

post-202-0-63150800-1448517223_thumb.jpg

Then using the jewelers saw I cut them back at an angle from the topside to the bottom side.

post-202-0-40198300-1448517224_thumb.jpg

then using the #11 I removed the slight wedge and cleaned it up with a needle file.

post-202-0-14782300-1448517225_thumb.jpg

The next pic shows the one on the right has been modified and the one on the left is next to be done.

post-202-0-40950900-1448517220_thumb.jpg

After fitting the first one and testing it to see if my fix would work I was satisfied that it would.

post-202-0-09214700-1448517222_thumb.jpg

Then completed the second one, all that remains is to un-glue the well glued ones that I did first. the next pic shows the lights seated down fully on the second set.

post-202-0-83252800-1448517222_thumb.jpg

Moral of the story... do a test first! but then you all knew that didn't you ;)

Michael

Glad to hear that Judy is improving Michael.

Fantastic work on the lights/hinges, but I'm glad you made a mistake - that's actually very encouraging for the rest of we lesser mortals! ;):)

Hello Michael, as a friend wrote to my log: "A man's invention comes from his previous errors". Your skylights looks superb.. :) A beautiful work Michael.

All the best

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

I am glad Judy is getting better and your solution to the skylight windows was ingenious.  With that redo you gave me hope to increase my skills in miniature joinery.

David B

Beautiful Butterfly Hatches Michael, They look Amazing, Superb workmanship 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

So very happy to hear that Judy is improving.  At times our minds see things work but then the unexpected crops up and we experience the "oh cr-p moment" ;)  Good recovery!  Hope the already cemented and pinned parts will come off unscathed.

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

It all turned out beautiful in the end. 

Moral of the story... do a test first! but then you all knew that didn't you

Oh yes and "measure twice, cut once"  and all the other hard earned lessons we all learned over the years. Still I tend to forget them very quickly and I don't know why. Maybe a shipwright is stubborn, luckily I'm very skilled at redo's ;-)

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Sorry to hear about Judy, but good to hear she's improving, give her my best wishes. Take care driving though!!!

I'm enjoying the build of that skylight tremendously!!! It does look stunning ... the nice thing about an 'end product', people can't see those oops moments, they just see that marvelous build ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Great news about Judy

Remember that only the pope is supposed to be infallible and as far as I know the Vatican isn't in Canada, glad to know you're mortal

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your well wishes for Judy. All is well now.

I have to hunt through my scraps of thin lexan for the "glass" in the skylights, I did have some 1/16th cell-cast acrylic that was left over from some architectural models. The interesting thing about cell-cast is because of the nature of the manufacture it is not super consistently even as far as thickness goes varying about 25 thousands over the sheet in random ways. we used to call it thick or thin whatever the main denomination was. 

The reason I used the cell cast is because It cut much more cleanly without gumming or fracturing the way the extruded acrylic did.

So I need to find a bit of thin 1/16th failing that I will buy some new 1.5mm lexan

Michael

Merry Christmas for you and your family Michael!!

All the best

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Hi Michael

Pleased to hear your good lady is on the mend and will be home for Christmas.

I'm don't know what lexon is but for for my windows I use a CD case.

I make the windows with a front and back which are identical then make a ply piece which will go between these two which is cut out slightly larger than the window apertures and left open at the top, this allows for the clear plastic to be slid down between the inner and outer sheet. One big advantage of this particularly on wheelhouses is that the whole thing can be painted or stained without getting it on the plastic, it also rules out having to glue them in and avoids the risk of fogging.

To both of you and anyone else who reads this Rosemary and I wish you all a very happy Christmas and a fantastic New Year..............Happy building and sailing in 2016.

Mike.

This really is a very impressive build,Michael!

Recently on BBC television (here in the UK) there was a series called "The Boats That Built Britain"

Episode 5 covered the Bristol Channel Pilot Cutters.

The programme is on youtube and probably the BBCiplayer too.

Hope this is of interest.

Laurence thank you for your kind words and the link.

Michael

Thanks Druxey, and thank you as well Mike for the tip about the CD cases, I shall have a look at that.

Michael