ROYAL CAROLINE 1749 by Doris - 1:40 - CARD

Doris - All I can say is which member of MSW has more than 1 picture in the 2014 calendar? YOU!! Does that tell you what we all think of your work? I can't wait to see what you contribute to the 2015 calendar. You have raised the bar in quality art on this site.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Hello Doris, 

May this New Year 2014 bring you good health, and happiness, and joy, and whatever you wished for 2013 and it did not show off true, let it show this year!

Best wishes and keep us posted with your stunning work!  For me, your models are truly inspiring... please keep the pictures coming!

Warm regards from the Black Sea shoreline,

Dorin. 

Edited by Doreltomin

I can see why your husband took the pictures.........your busy!! :)   such beauty.........sad to see it covered up,  but it will be lit and all can peer in to see.   you are such a gifted artist....I can add nothing more than everyone else has.   I just wish I had 1/10th of your talent.....but then there would be copyright issues........and then the lawyers........and the paperwork!   to Bodge with all that!!!! :D :D :D

they say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder...........to be the beholder of such beauty,  you truly have the  'eye' for it. ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello dear friends
your words mean a lot for me, thank you all for the posts and support,  that´s a great honour for me.

Well, finally I have decided to cover the cabins, but I suppose this will be the most practical. Everything inside is clearly visible through the windows.

The ceilings are made of pale squares (to reflect the light) , some of them are decorted with gilded ornaments.

Here are the newest pics, so you can enjoy them.

Best regards,

Doris

20140102162628-229934-v.jpg

20140102162647-229935-v.jpg

20140103195015-230055-v.jpg

20140103195100-230056-v.jpg

20140103195115-230057-v.jpg

20140103195135-230058-v.jpg

20140103195157-230059-v.jpg

20140103195216-230060-v.jpg

20140103195237-230061-v.jpg

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

I just have no words 

Paper ??? 

I cant believe untill I go to start of toppic and read all

Really awesome

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Lovely Doris, the only word I can find to convey the feeling of what I observe in the photos is "Rubenesque."   It reminds me of the paintings of Rubens, warm and sweet.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Doris,

Your photos defy description. It is hard to imagine this kind of detail at any scale, and even more, built out of card!

Could you give us a little more information on how you built the small details, like the table settings, chairs, etc. Is some of this papier-mâché? And how did you get such smooth finishes?

I was thinking about building a captain's table and chairs in my Bellona project someday, but I was thinking about a simple trestle table. You have inspired me to think a little more boldly!

Best wishes,

Mark

Even more amazing with the roof on and the lights illuminating the cabins. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

as usual absolutely magnificant . dont you dare to ever stop your work ;)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Hello dear friends,
thank you very much for your kind words and comments, I appreciate them a lot. I am really pleased sharing my work with you.

Hi Doris,

Your photos defy description. It is hard to imagine this kind of detail at any scale, and even more, built out of card!

Could you give us a little more information on how you built the small details, like the table settings, chairs, etc. Is some of this papier-mâché? And how did you get such smooth finishes?

I was thinking about building a captain's table and chairs in my Bellona project someday, but I was thinking about a simple trestle table. You have inspired me to think a little more boldly!

Best wishes,

Mark

I use mostly card and self adhesive foils to achieve wooden look. Some parts are made of wood or clay. Paper/card pieces are glued together, sometimes there are 3-5 layers to achieve the necessary thickness. After that the finished parts are covered with foils. 

This is a similar procedure as I use for finishing the hull - it was already described at this thread.

Here are some pics from the table and chairs making, you can see there paper basis and also wooden parts:

http://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=68385&start=645#p1539047

http://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=68385&start=645#p1540913

http://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=68385&start=675#p1543356

Soon I will bring new pics

Kind regards

Doris

Doris

Current build:

Hello dear friend Doris,

Thank you for the links to the Czech forum, that is very interesting, when I will arrive that far I will "borrow" your techniques too! 

Actually I believe "paper model" is not quite right to say in your case. The ultra-orthodox so to say paper modellers do make everything in paper, starting with the hull and ending with the masts, spars and so on. Yours approach is very different, you do the hull in paper, but then the 3D pieces are done in different media according to the required shape and look. 

I believe "Mixed media" would be more appropriate for your technique. 

You are as always a true inspiration for me, I only hope to be able some day to model something at least half as beautiful as yours! Best wishes,

Dorin

Hello Doris, Happy new year and thank you for your continued inspiring work. I have run out of words to say, other than absolutely stunning.

As a side note I mentioned this at the beginning of my work on MSW 1 It was seeing your work on the westlake publishing forum  a few years ago that inspired me to begin a small card model of my pilot cutter. Then I found this site.

I am so glad that you are back posting your wonderful work.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Doris,

Thank you for the link to your log. I went through the whole log from page 1 to page 49, even though I do not know the language the pictures spoke for all that was there. I now understand what it takes to make a ship from card. Your work and detail is out of this world, there are no others words that can describe the talent that you have. You are the best in this hobby. Thank you for sharing all your fine work with all of us. Please never stop posting your builds. I wish you the best in the new year and all the years that follow. Than you.

Edited by WackoWolf

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Hello dear friends and thank you a lot for your feedback and kind words. I am very honoured and pleased.
And once again Happy New year to you all!

Hello dear friend Doris,

Thank you for the links to the Czech forum, that is very interesting, when I will arrive that far I will "borrow" your techniques too! 

Actually I believe "paper model" is not quite right to say in your case. The ultra-orthodox so to say paper modellers do make everything in paper, starting with the hull and ending with the masts, spars and so on. Yours approach is very different, you do the hull in paper, but then the 3D pieces are done in different media according to the required shape and look. 

I believe "Mixed media" would be more appropriate for your technique. 

You are as always a true inspiration for me, I only hope to be able some day to model something at least half as beautiful as yours! Best wishes,

Dorin

That´s right, I use various materials, but I try to use card/paper as far as it goes, but sometimes paper has got limits (solidity and durability), or it is easier to make some details of other materials with much better result. I have no special tools, unfortunately. The most important for me is final impression and durability. Some years ago I used only paper, but was not satisfied with "paper" looking result.

Hello Doris, Happy new year and thank you for your continued inspiring work. I have run out of words to say, other than absolutely stunning.

As a side note I mentioned this at the beginning of my work on MSW 1 It was seeing your work on the westlake publishing forum  a few years ago that inspired me to begin a small card model of my pilot cutter. Then I found this site.

I am so glad that you are back posting your wonderful work.

Michael

I am honoured, thank you. Your work is also a great inspiration for me, I admire the realism and a high level craftsmanship of your models.

Doris,

Thank you for the link to your log. I went through the whole log from page 1 to page 49, even though I do not know the language the pictures spoke for all that was there. I now understand what it takes to make a ship from card. Your work and detail is out of this world, there are no others words that can describe the talent that you have. You are the best in this hobby. Thank you for sharing all your fine work with all of us. Please never stop posting your builds. I wish you the best in the new year and all the years that follow. Than you.

Don´t worry, dear friend. I am pleased sharing my work with you. Sometimes i am a bit busy to add new post ( it is also quite difficult to me write in English), but I am going to continue as soon as possible.

Well, the Royal Caroline is already closed - all decks are in their places and i am continuing with fitting and lighting on stern.

Enjoy the pics and have a great time

Kind regards

Doris

20140104133037-230124-v.jpg

20140104133056-230126-v.jpg

20140104133130-230127-v.jpg

20140104133148-230128-v.jpg

20140104133210-230129-v.jpg

20140104193721-230199-v.jpg

20140104193740-230200-v.jpg

20140104193759-230201-v.jpg

20140104193819-230202-v.jpg

20140104193838-230203-v.jpg

20140104193856-230204-v.jpg

Doris

Current build:

It's hard to believe that you are looking at a model! It really does look like the real thing! Excellent work. You truly DO have a talent for model ships. Keep up the fab work!

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Hi Doris, the level of finish and quality on this model is superb.  I hope you are entering this in a competition as if it does not win a prize I don't know what would - absolutely beautiful work!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I feel truly honored following this project. It's like watching a little bit of history being created. 

Such utterly astonishing and incredible workmanship.

Or maybe that should now be workwomanshIp? You really are redefining what is possible Doris

Everything is just so clean and perfect.

It's a joy to behold