Bomb Vessel Granado 1742 by mobbsie - FINISHED - 1/48 - cross-section

Hi Guys,

I thought it was about time I put pen to paper and came up with an update, just to let you know I haven't fallen of the planet.

All the frames are now glued onto the keel and that showed my first problem, not all the frames fitted the jig fully, a few were as much as 2mm in from the outside of the jig, this presented a problem when it came down to sanding the inside of the frames, they need to be tight so there is no rocking when sanding.

The problem was solved by using Spanions method which is to place elastic bands around each frame and fix to a point of your choosing, this holds the frames tight to the jig edge. I chose to drill the jig from the top and place round head pins in, the bands were then pulled tight around the pins, great, :)  until you don't pick the jig up by the sides, I now have nicely punctured finger tips. :angry:  

I glued the first 8 frames and when the glued had dried they were sanded down, I have one frame which is a little out of line and it was a case of either cut the Futtock Rider to fit or make up a new frame, I tried adjusting the Rider which worked well so that worked out ok. Once the first 8 frames were sanded I then fitted the final 4 frames and fared them down. There is a small rise in frames 9 to12 and they have to be sanded at a slightly different angle. :)

With the inside completed I turned my attention to the outside, first job was to mark the height, frames D1 TO 4 ( 9 frames ) are level and flat, frames 5 to 12 are sloped with frame 12 being the highest. There is still a fair bit of movement in the frames which needs to be reduced to virtually nothing, this was achieved by placing 2.5mm blocks between each frame at a point above the water line where the hull planking will cover them up, the tops of the frames were also blocked at this time, this also served to strengthen some of the weaker frames.

Next up was the Gunport Sills, Sweep Sills and Filling Lintels, more problems, these were down to my c--p joinery skills and not the drawing's. If I put the sills in place without any work they would end up looking like a mountain range, so measurements and levels were taken and out came the sanding sticks and files which were applied to the Port side. The Sills were the first to receive the treatment with new levels being made, most of the notches which had been pre-cut were sanded back, so with all the mistakes removed the Sills and Linings were added to the Gunports and Sweep Sills, The Filling Lintels were next to be attacked, as it happens they turned out to be quite easy to make and so in they went. A little more sanding and an acceptable finish was reached bearing in mind that this work will all be covered with planking. The Portside took 3 days to repair so I have the same to look forward to on the Starboard side. :(

Whilst waiting for glue to dry and the need to change tasks I made the following, Keelson, Mortar Pit Deck Clamps ( Upper and Lower Strakes ) and the Upper Deck Clamps ( Upper and Lower Strakes ). I also cut out on the scroll saw the Futtock and Floor riders, these are not finished yet because they will require fitting individually. :)

At this point I want to thank Grant for keeping me on the right track regarding the timber, I got a little confused with what timber to use and so consulted my mentor, things were explained and backsides kicked, thanks mate. At this point mate I decided to keep you on. :D  :D:P  

I should imagine your about ready for some pics, if your not suicidal by now. 

Portside clamped up waiting for the glue to dry on the blocks

post-493-0-12046000-1422096741_thumb.jpg

Just a few more clamps on the Starboard side.

post-493-0-54589600-1422096808_thumb.jpg

This is Spanions method of holding the frames.

post-493-0-77889400-1422096866_thumb.jpg

Profile of the frames prior to sanding down.

post-493-0-33422200-1422096894_thumb.jpg

You can see the nature of my problem.

post-493-0-70301600-1422097251_thumb.jpg

The finished Portside, bearing in mind it is to be planked over.

post-493-0-60073700-1422097330_thumb.jpg

So there we are guys, your right up to date. Next job is to finish the Starboard side, fit the Keelson and work on the Futtock and Floor riders.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Mobbsie, you adapted and overcame the "issues". Well done. Oopsies are a learning situation. :rolleyes:

I like your rubber band trick to hold the frames. :)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Hi Ken,

Thanks mate, I just never thought I'd be extra scratch building over scratch build plans. This really is a good learning curve and well out of my comfort zone and it makes me realise just how skilful other scratchers are, A new found respect.  :huh:

I have to give the credit to Spanion for the rubber bands, it was his idea I just pinched it.  :)

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Great work Mobbsie - you're really powering ahead now. It's all looking "shipshape". :)

Thanks very much Grant, and for hitting the like button guys. :)

What on earth are you doing up at this hour, it's way passed your bedtime, come on, off to bed with you and get some beauty sleep,

you need all you can get mate. :D  :D  

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Looking great mobbs, I have been stressing out over those pre milled gun port and sweeps notches, I just know they are not going to line up. I almost wonder if it would be best to wait till the frames are in place and just frame them out and plank over both sides. At any rate I have stalled a bit on my build due to getting a 1/350 Yamato (plastic) for Christmas and been having fun with that.

Hi mobbsie,

Your progress looks wonderful.  The more I watch you guys move ahead the more I realize what a great choice this set of plans is for a first scratch build.  

Keep on rolling buddy!  Great Job.

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Nice work, Mobbsie.  The nice thing about stepping outside the comfort zone is that if we do enough, it becomes part of the comfort zone. Well done!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wow! you're working at an amazing speed Mobbsie, at this rate you'll finish her by next month, excellent work as always my friend, those frames look great B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for your very kind comments and for hitting the like button.

Time for an update.

The " fix " on the Gunports and sweep ports is complete with all ports relined, I did notice that my sweep ports appeared larger than they should be, so it was out with the dividers again and measurements were taken yet again, yep all sweep ports were larger by upto 3/64 and so further work was required. This work has been done so further progress can now be made.

I have started working on the Floor Riders, Futtock Riders and Keelson, another problem !!!!!!!!!!. When fitting the Floor Riders over the Keelson the bottom of the Riders did not come into contact with the frames, Oh bugger what to do now ??????

There are so many things to consider when trying to come up with a solution, my main concern was the height of the Floor Riders and the Height of the Shell Room when fitting the Mortar Pit Beams, I'm now working 5 steps ahead and it's making my head hurt.

I had several solutions to consider,

1, Recut the Floor Riders and leave a bigger foot on the rider, question, Would this make the rider to high and effect the height of the Shell Room ?

2, Make a deeper cut in the part of the Floor Rider that fits over the Keelson, for me that's fraught with the danger of making the cut too deep.

3, Notch out the Keelson, if the Keelson needs to be replaced it's a fairly simple job and so this is the way I decided to go.

The feet now sit on the frames and they should be the right height for the Shell Room and Mortar Pit Beams.

But for now the pictures are just concentrating on the on the frame fix.

Notching for a Gunport Lintel, this is a smashing little saw.

post-493-0-31644500-1422796511_thumb.jpg

Finishing off with the file

post-493-0-90281400-1422796649_thumb.jpg

All the Sweep Ports and Gunports have been cut back and are ready for lining.

post-493-0-77082600-1422796710_thumb.jpg

Port side linings

post-493-0-67305300-1422796840_thumb.jpg

Starboard side linings

post-493-0-53128500-1422796914_thumb.jpg

Also the rubber bands have been removed, the spacing blocks, lintels and filling pieces have made the frames really strong.

So there we are, hopefully I will be able to make a further update when the Floor Riders are in place.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Looking good, Mobbsie !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Great work on the "fix" Mobbsie - I'll hope to be done with that myself next weekend. Sounds like you may have solved the Floor Rider problem too. You'll be leaving the rest of sucking up your sawdust at this rate! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Update time again gents, before that I would like to thank you for the kind comments and for hitting the like button.

I seem to be stumbling from one disaster to another with this build, it's about time I started thinking more latterly and stop making stupid mistakes. 

As stated in my previous update I was having an issue with the floor riders, I notched the Keelson and that fixed the problem, the top of the riders were on the mark, 34mm / 1" 5/16 above the jig base, got something right at last.

All Floor riders were then glued into place and set aside to dry. I then went to fit the Mortar Deck Clamp and you got it, it was all to cock. Yet again the Floor riders have to come out and adjustments need to be made to the  Mortar Deck Clamp cut outs on the Futtock Riders.

The frames were marked up to the bottom  of the Mortar Deck Clamp (62mm or 2"3/8), each Floor rider ( including Futtock Riders ) was measured and adjusted accordingly and then marked up Port and Starboard on the underside, then dry fitted. the Mortar Deck Clamp was dry fitted and a few more adjustments were made. Eventually all parts came together and so the Floor Riders were again glued in, the Mortar Deck Clamp is currently dry fitted.

Next up came the Lumber Board and Strake, using my trusty Proxxon Router, Scroll Saw and Disc Sander all the parts were cut and made up, each of the Lumber Board and Strake pieces were left whole until I needed to cut them to fit between the Floor Riders, they are now fitted and will most definitely stay in place I think !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that's where I am at the moment and that's where I will stay for a while, the shipyard is in a state of suspension in order to allow my build buddies to catch up a little,( please don't think that this is in any way the hurry up ), it's more for me to think more into the what it is I'm supposed to be doing and try to get it right first time.

Grant, thanks mate for keeping me on the straight and narrow. Appreciate it.

It will also allow me time to work on my secondary build, (none ship related). A 15th / 16th century Crossbow from Mantua.

Some Pictures

Notched Keelson in position

post-493-0-18160700-1423838109_thumb.jpg

Component parts of the Floor and Futtock Riders 

post-493-0-27383300-1423838197_thumb.jpg

3 of the 5 constructed Floor Riders

post-493-0-69315400-1423838283_thumb.jpg

The first Floor Rider in position and clamped down

post-493-0-09382700-1423838404_thumb.jpg

All Floor Riders are positioned with the Mortar Deck Clamp dry fitted

post-493-0-67156900-1423838504_thumb.jpg

All aspects of the build can be seen here, Frames, Floor Riders, Mortar Deck Clamps and Limber Board & Strake

post-493-0-14574200-1423838617_thumb.jpg

End Section of the Limber Board and Strake

post-493-0-35376600-1423838746_thumb.jpg

Finally two shots of the completed Limber Board & Strake

post-493-0-00357200-1423838830_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-56311000-1423838848_thumb.jpg

So once again your right upto date guys, if you have any questions please ask away.

Thanks for looking in

Be Good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie

Looks darned impressive to me !

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Beautiful work, Tony.   Very impressive.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great work Mobbsie! It may have been a pain in the a#%£¥ re-doing them a couple of times, but the end result really looks worth it. I'm glad that talking it through on Skype has helped. And of course, the issues you found are a terrific guide for the rest of us still playing catch-up. ;) I'll be starting on Keelson and floor/futtock riders today, so we'll see if I can avoid some of those pitfalls!

Very well done!

It's great that you are getting together and working through the build.

I'm sure it's both helpful and fun.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Looking good Mobbsie!  Glad you got your gremlins worked out, at least you didn't have to break out the isopropyl....  I think fixing our errors (successfully) is sometimes more rewarding than when everything goes to plan.

BTW, where do you get your "smashing little razor saw"?

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

very nice mobbsie. Since this is your first try and something like this its just natural to make mistakes and learn from them for the future :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Hi Gents,

Thank you very much for your kind comments and remarks, I appreciate them greatly.

Wes, 

I have a confession mate, the isopropyl was given an airing, I had to use it to remove the Floor Riders and Mortar Deck Clamp. The white Glue I'm using is

Evo-Stick weatherproof wood adhesive, when it sets,it sets solid and would need chiselling off.

With regard to the razor saw Grant put me onto it, it really is a wonderful little tool and I wouldn't be without it now. I got it from John Voltech at UMM ( Unique Master Models ), the web site is www.umm-usa.com . The postal address is :- 1042 Inverrary Ln, Deerfield, IL60015,  Phone 847.537.0867

Catalogue No JLC 004 20 years Anniversary JLC Micro Pack,    Cost $20.95. I also got a Mitre Block and spare blades to go with it.

Catalogue No MN 034  Micro Mitre Box  45-90-60 degree cuts    Cost $18.96

Catalogue No JLC 006 JLC Micro Spare Saw Blades                   Cost $14.50

John Voltech's email address is john@umm-usa.com   He really is very helpful and gave me a good service.

Hope the helps mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Gents,

Having said that I would be suspending the shipyard for a while well that wasn't strictly true. I put it down to toothache syndrome, you know, if you have a toothache you just cant help but keep putting your tongue on it, well so the cross section turned out to be the same.

I do have an update on the build which for me seemed a good place to stop.

All the Limber Boards and Strakes are completed as is the Footwailing Strakes, for the Footwailing I used a cardboard template to give me the distance between the Limber Boards and the Footwailing's. This is quite a simple section in that there is no shaping to be done, it's just a case of cutting them to size and fitting in place.

Following that I decided to permanently fix the Mortar Deck Clamps and fit the Mortar Deck Clamp Upper Strake (thick stuff), the Mortar Deck Clamps were already cut out, shaped and were dry fitted, these took but seconds to fix. The Upper Strake needed to be cut and though not required I shaped the back edge, that done they just needed to be cut to size and fixed in, so that's where I am now.

The next section to build will be the Shell Room, Mortar Pit Beams and Planking but they will be for later, NO HONEST I MEAN IT.

I will however still be building but not on ship stuff, my secondary build has arrived and so I will still be busy.

OK now for some pics

Cardboard template to give correct spacing along the length of the Footwailing

post-493-0-14526800-1424186307_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-11383200-1424186411_thumb.jpg

Parts of the Lower Strake have been fitted

post-493-0-32773300-1424186451_thumb.jpg

All the Footwailing Strakes have now been fitted

post-493-0-64884000-1424186586_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-61290200-1424186713_thumb.jpg

Next up is the Mortar Deck Clamps and Upper Strakes

post-493-0-97380700-1424186845_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-29570500-1424186942_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-62091700-1424186999_thumb.jpg

So all up to date now, the build has now been placed in a carrier bag to keep dust off, the next time she comes out will be for a couple of coats of poly, then back into the bag until it's time to carry on.

Thanks guys for all your remarks and comments and for hitting the like button.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Gents,

Having said that I would be suspending the shipyard for a while ...

...  has now been placed in a carrier bag to keep dust off, the next time she comes out will be for a couple of coats of poly, then back into the bag until it's time to carry on.

So ... ??

How long are talkin' about here, Mobbsie ??

One ... two days ... ??

We can't hold out for too long, Y'know !!!!!!

:cheers:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hi Capt'n,

Not too sure at this moment in time mate, I'm afraid I've forged on ahead a little too far and now have to wait for my build buddies to catch up a little.

We are building this as a group but I was forgetting that Grant is still working and has a limited build time, Jack has undergone surgery and is slowly getting back into it, and Lou is building on a different scale so has a whole different set of problems and challenges.

At a rough guess I would say that I'm about 3 weeks to a month ahead. That sounds dreadful and I don't know if I can stay away that long.

Still as an up side it will certainly give me more time to spend watching what your doing on the Launch, so many ideas coming out of your build that I think that it will change the way a lot of builders approach their own, and so it should.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Mobbsie, could I be so bold as to ask what the secondary build might be? Inquiring minds want to know (OK, we're nosy). :P:)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild