Trussben

HMS Pegasus 1776 by Trussben - 1:48 - Swan class sloop based on TFFM

Thanks Everyone 

Mast partners completed, I was thinking about adding hatch gratings but have decided not to to allow what can be seen of below as much as possible.

now to decide on what to work on next.

ben

C32B0281-C888-443B-A26B-ACB358737C5A.jpeg

Hi Kenny,

I’m not much of a one for giving other people advice, just take your time and try not to accept something that you know is not right.

Getting the spacing and symmetry correct can be tough if you want a really good result - I can’t count how many times I remade things on the lower platforms and lower deck - but I’m now happy with my results.

One thing I’m doing differently from now on is using Black fishing line instead of copper wire and LOS to simulate bolts, much easier and looks better and more consistent to me.

ben

Thanks Ben

ive got the five pieces completed starting from the back with only three pieces having to be remade. Now on the stemson and struggling to line it up. Nice idea about black nylon fishing line. 

LOS = Liver of Sulphur.

What I have comes in small "rocks".

You mix a very small amount in hot water.

The water turns a shade of yellow.

You drop your copper part into it and mix it around for a few seconds, take it out, rinse it off to stop the reaction and your done.

The part must be cleaned in soapy water, and rinsed off, and then washed off in (rubbing) alcohol to remove all dirt, grim, oil (finger marks) first.

After the cleaning you handle the part with cleaned tweezers so as not to recontaminate it.

There are safer, easier, liquid products that will oxidize the copper.  But the item must still be cleaned.

LOS - 1.jpg

LOS - 2.jpg

Regarding safer, easier methods of blackening metals...

This is a link to the blog page of our local club website.

scroll down to our 13th of January  meeting and Ray describes what and how.

https://modelshipwrightsofniagara.weebly.com/blog

Regarding fishing line for faux bolts.

I do this also, using black monofilament.  It comes in different diameters so you find one closest to your scale.  It comes in a spool that will likely do your whole build.  I did not invent this but learnt about it here on the forums.

I cut off a length (about a foot), rough it up with sand paper so my yellow wood glue will hold (something to grip to), wipe the end and sides in the glue and insert the filament in the predrilled hole.  Then I cut it off with scissors and let it dry.  I go back and cut it flush with a scalpel.   I've tried to remove a couple and it was impossible!