Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Thank you for the "likes" and the comments.

Well.. to paraphrase Clement Moore...  "The rudder was hung on the sternpost with care in hopes that I won't pull out my hair".   Yeah.. bad verse.. Oh well.

This part took some sorting out on exactly how to hang it properly rather than sort of cobbled like I did the kit models...   Thank heavens for the Optivisor as the holes for the bolts were pretty tiny.  I've half a mind to build the next one at 1:48 or 1:36 even just so I can see without eyestrain.  Like the Admiralty would be receptive to that.  :D  :D  :D

Next up will be the rudder coat (hopefully), the strop, and the chains.   Thanks to seeing Giampero's rudder coat, he gave me some ideas on how the Licorne's should look.  

Anyway, pictures.....

post-76-0-46441600-1458887928_thumb.jpg   post-76-0-38294800-1458887935_thumb.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

Looks like fiddly work to me, quite nice ... is it an optical illusion due to the angle of of the ship in the photo, or is the angle from that left (Ishould say top) bottom strip smaller towards the top ...

Cheers

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Mark,

Looks like fiddly work to me, quite nice ... is it an optical illusion due to the angle of of the ship in the photo, or is the angle from that left (Ishould say top) bottom strip smaller towards the top ...

Cheers

Not an illusion, Carl.  It's off a tad....  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:   I think I found the "wall side".... It looks better on the other side.  :rolleyes:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just lovely work Mark.  The whole stern has come together beautifully.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

wonderful that the rudder is finally where it should be  ;)    super job my friend!  as a side note......your running out of reasons why she should be upside down  :)   a suitable stand would be the ticket by now.....unless your going for the pedestals.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

:)

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Super job on the rudder Mark!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

What shall I say about the rudder.........

Netjes gedaan !!!!! ( very nice job , translation for all the members who not can read Dutch  :D  :D  :D )

Sjors

Thanks for the likes and the comments...  

I've done 3 rudder coats so far and no joy.  I'm not sure if it's me and fat fingers, the scale, or the material.  But I will persevere on this endeavor for a bit longer.   I'm going to try a different material.

Mark,

When it's right side up, you will hardly notice my friend ... besides it's a lot easier on this side, giving comments ... I couldn't match your prowes!!!

Cheers

I suspect you're right about when it's right side up, Carl.   I like the logic anyway.   :)

wonderful that the rudder is finally where it should be   ;)    super job my friend!  as a side note......your running out of reasons why she should be upside down   :)   a suitable stand would be the ticket by now.....unless your going for the pedestals.

Reasons or excuses?    :D  :D  :D   I have the plans ready for a build cradle.  I've been staring at the inside and what needs to be done to the outside... I may just bite the bullet in the near future.  I do like the solid feeling of the build board.  Sort of like hiding out in a blanket fort.  

Well done Mark, fiddly indeed.

i am envious, you only have one wall side, i have five!! :D

Sam

The build is still young Sam.  I could easily end up with 5 also.  :D  :D  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark

Well done, Mark.  She hangs absolutely straight and proper!

Nice.  

Cheers

Patrick

Are you being a bit rude Patrick? Lol

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

G'day Mark

A job well done! It looks so fiddly and the end result is a piece of "art".

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Mark, I was able to get some chamoise leather (very very thin) from a modelling shop here in Aussie - this might do a reasonable job but I think there were canvas?  For my Endeavour I used some calico (well washed; put it on, wet it with a very diluted PVA/water solution, shaped and let it dry. Not perfect but...

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks Pat.  I'm aiming for a canvas look.   I'm waiting for the color to dry on the latest bit of silkspan and then I'll fit and take a hard look.  Even though this is under the counter, I still want it looking "right" and nice.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I used a piece of the sail material I got with the Gothenborg.   they don't give you enough to do them IMO........it looks and feels like canvas,  especially if you give it a lacquer coat.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks for the likes, comments, and suggestions including those via PM.

After many attempts and much aggravation, I'm giving up on the rudder coat.   I've learned a few lessons on this and presumably the time spent counts towards the 10,000 hours that Druxey mentions.

I've tried silkspan, paper, cloth, even foil.  I considered sculpy clay and may still try that but for now... I'll move on.  It boils down to at this moment, there's not enough room to work. I went too far on the stern build out and rudder installation.

The lessons..

1) Think not just 100 steps but a 1000.   When I planked the counter, I put on Wipe-on-Poly.... errr.. no.  Should have waited.  (Not thinking far enough ahead).  Possibly I needed to sort the rudder coat at this time but definitely before fitting the rudder into place.

2) When I buildt the rudder, the pins on the rudder irons should have been a bit longer and tapered before soldering up the irons.  (Lack of knowledge.. need deeper research early on).

3) By tapering the pins and opening up the recesses in the rudder, the rudder could be removed and re-installed easily.  (Doooh... moment).

Anyway, for now, I'll take a pass, not worry about it but continue to think.  If I get an "ah-ha" moment, I'll add it later.

Meantime, I'm adding the strop and the chains.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Build and learn in the extreme hey Mark ;)  I hope you're logging these 'lessons learned' - sadly i didn't and will probably repeat a few (another lesson learned :)).  I am sure you will find a solution to your collar issue when you least expect it.  I am also recalling a muuch rum befuddled memory from MSW 1  (I think) where someone used the inner foil from cigarette packets for this task also???

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I formed mine using a like size dowel.   I do believe I cemented the hull edge in place and folded it inward after it was dry.  when the rudder was set in place,  it gave the appearance that it was connected to the rudder.  good idea to occupy yourself with something else.........it will give you more time to think of a solution.    you'll come up with something......I'm sure of it  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Mark,

Re the rudder coat (thought it was an apron, but that proved wrong) ... couldn't you make a sleeve which at one end is inverted - to make a rounded bottom - and push that down the top of the rudder trough the 'hole' (keep on forgetting those names, darn foreign nautical terminology) ... I would use something like musseline or rice paper (the type used for shoji - Japanese sliding doors e.g.) ..

Cheers

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks for the likes, the comments, and the ideas.

Carl, I think you might be onto something. I never thought about coming in from the top.  I'll take another look this week and see.  

Pat, I seem to recall that build also... too many years ago,.. <sigh>  Oh yes, I'm logging the lessons.

Here's the rudder in it's not quite or maybe it is, final form.  (Rudder coat notwithstanding).  I've added the strop and the chains.   Now that's back in it's jig, I'm going to attend to several things...  the rudder coat install from the top, the carvings <takes a deep breath>, the quarter galleries, and a bit if finishing up the sanding on the inside of the hull.

And the pictures.  I'm pretty happy with it even with some issues that the macro brings up..  

post-76-0-10913400-1459190387_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-59032900-1459190396_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

lovely work, lol you were on the windows last time I looked, just where is my time going to,  I had to giggle when you were talking about the rudder pins and needing a bigger scale next time,and the same discussion would be brought up on some detail that we hadnt even thought of

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat