HMS Winchelsea - FINISHED - 1764 - by Chuck (1/4" scale)

My model building experience started with an AJ Fisher kit in the 1980's. It was the Bluenose. I bought a number of others, both foreign and domestic pre Syren. They may never be built. Your products have been successful for so many reasons for the "average" model ship builder that they have displaced them. Product design/engineering, material quality, instruction sets and customer support are the bedrock of your enterprise. Add to that the models you build so skillfully are so inspiring! Who else delivers such a complete product?

Joe

Quite amazing how you engineer complexity such that us regulate people can build it simply. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks

Hoping to have chapter 11 available really soon guys.  Sorry for the delay.  Lots going on here in NJ.   Daughter starting Med School, Selling my Aunts house after moving her to a nursing home...Spring house duties....Vacation starting next week.

When I return from vacation all should be back to normal.   Heading to the beach in Rhode Island and then up to Maine.  All 12 of us including the kids significant others.   LOL...need a break.  Although with that many young people it may be tough to relax.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your holiday, have fun with the family!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I have completed the prototype for the cathead support knee.  This knee is directly under the cathead and is quite complex.  It twists and turns while tapering thinner as it gracefully extends down and connects with the lower rail.  The frieze follows the same look and feel as the contemporary model.   This piece is kind of assembled like you guys did for the cheeks and hair brackets...if you are wondering.

This will be built in two lengths.   Each length is of course made up of many pieces.  I will detail the assembly process soon when I make it for the other side.  There will be templates laser cut to help you and assist in the shaping and positioning.   Once the other side is finished I will make the fourth "half" head timber that is positioned between this and the main rail.

Here are a couple of pics of the cathead support knee on the port side.  I am happy with the results considering that the pieces were all laser cut.   I have made these from scratch before and these seemed to come out just as good.   Its the first time I tried out this concept and laser cut approach.   I believe you can now start to see how the finished headwork will look.  Hopefully you will agree that it doesnt look like any kit you have ever seen before.

catheadsupport.jpg

catheadsupport1.jpg

catheadsupport2.jpg

Those look outstanding Chuck! I’ve been really focusing on this part lately and how to design it, pouring over contemporary examples and drawings, those look spot on with everything I’ve seen. Simply excellent results there. Not even close to resembling a kit.

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Now, that is really impressive as it is the most complex curved piece in the ship. Well done, Chuck! Now, what about that vacation?

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Stunningly superb Chuck! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Figured out the deadeye issue. I purchased 5mm and 6mm ebony deadeyes. The 5mm deadeye groove is deep enough to fit the strop properly, the 6mm has a extremely shallow groove. I found a pair of wire bending pliers that locked the deadeye in place and used my Dremel with a cutting wheel and deepened the groove. Problem solved.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

12 hours ago, lstmysock11 said:

I am a new jack and looking for a future big project. What tools are needed for this build? How hard is this ship to build? How difficult to make the parts not supplied with the laser cut parts you can buy? How much are the installment sets?

Andrew

Andrew because of Winchelsea’ s scale and Chuck’s instructions she is not a real difficult build. The build is completed via chapters and with each chapter you will learn a lot. The chapter on planking for example is some of the finest instruction you will get on the subject, ever. You will need a hobby saw like a Byrnes or the one MicroMart sells to cut your wood strips although if you can’t afford a saw there are places you can order strips by sizes required, required sizes also part of Chuck’s instruction. You will need hobby knives, #11 blades, tweezers, clamps for keeping planks in place, small machinist squares, magnifying lenses if you are an old fart like me and a big box of patience. Best part, unlike many Model Manufacturers, if you don’t understand something Chuck is always there to ask. All the laser cut parts are sold as Chapters. They run under $100. This is a great experience and you will have beautiful model that you will be proud of in the end. Most definitely do it.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

12 hours ago, lstmysock11 said:

How difficult to make the parts not supplied with the laser cut parts you can buy?

That depends on your skill level with regard to scratch building.

There is a lot of information here:

The 32 Gun Frigate Winchelsea (1764)

You can look at the illustrations and ask yourself  " Can I make that ? "

The store is closed right now so the prices are not available.

If you are planning on milling your own wood strips you will need a good small table saw  such as the Byrnes Saw..

An alternative will be to buy the timbering set from Modeler's Sawmill

As well as this forum with all the build logs.  Member Build logs for the HMS Winchelsea

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Has anyone used adhesive paper for the friezes, like that used for mailing labels?  In theory it seems like a good idea…

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Yes...they work great BUT.....BUT,  the adhesive is very strong and it isnt easy to reposition and slide them into place nicely.  Thats why I prefer to use a glue stick which has an open time and lets you slide them around.

Chuck

Speaking of the friezes; should they be printed by ink jet or laser printer?

Any special paper weight or finish?

Thanks,

Gary

Current Build -  HMS Sphinx 1775

Prior Builds:  HMS Winchelsea

USF Confederacy

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

open time and lets you slide them around

Excellent point…hadn’t thought that through 

Regards,

Glenn

I use either regular copy paper with my ink jet or when I want to go really thin so you cant see the paper at all I use tissue paper.   

Chuck