HMS Winchelsea - FINISHED - 1764 - by Chuck (1/4" scale)

Congrats on the finished project of Winnie, Mr. Passaro! Your model has come out fantastically and this blog has been a privilege to follow and learn from. Thank you also for putting up with my questions and comments on your forum. This is a real masterpiece. Looking forward to your next group project on here.

Congrats Chuck on a beautiful model.  I think all of us have learned a great deal from your talents in both design and modeling skills.  I know I have!!!

Speedwell looks like a fantastic project & I have purchased both books a few months ago.  Pleasantly surprised to see it at 3/8 scale.  Hope that will be the 'production' scale, if so I am definitely in.  It will make things a little easier with these fingers....

Enjoy your well deserved vacation.... 

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

Congratulations Chuck! Your models always show a combination of outstanding craftsmanship and superb artistry while based on thorough historical research. Your Winchelsea is again a wonderful example! 

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Congratulations, Chuck!  It has been a joy to watch your Winnie come together.  I'm very thankful to be able to follow you on this project.  The completed model looks like it belongs with the contemporary frigate models.

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Wow.  I know "Wow" doesn't quite do it justice, but WOW!  Congratulations on a truly amazing project to watch and learn from.

Wow.

Current Build: HMS Terror 1:75

Completed:    USS Constitution Cross Section

Pride of Baltimore 1:64

USS Cairo Blue Jacket Ships

In the Yard:    Smoothbore Naval Deck Gun

Brig Syren

Medway Long Boat

1 hour ago, Mark Grundy said:

Is the 1/4 scale longboat next?

Thanks guys.  There will be a barge but I am taking a break from Winnie for a bit.  I am going to catch with with making inventory of blocks and rope once I get back and maybe start work on Speedwell.  

I also have to write the last chapter and cut parts for folks.

Had the guys over to the shop.  Tale of two Winnies.  One is mine and the other is Mikes (stuntflyer).

D92FA507-A32A-428D-A811-834338BA4F0E.jpeg

5A1531AC-83E6-4DD5-9C44-A2510D63FDD3.jpeg

STUNNING! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you!!! i should be caught up with making blocks and rope by next week and will start making chapter 12 parts.  

its going to be busy these next few weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up folks,    There are a limited supply of chapter 12 parts in cedar available.   I must reiterate this.  For the tenth time.

Once again I ask all of you to refrain from buying it unless you are close to needing it.   I know I have asked before but that hasnt stopped folks.   Its a shame really.  I have limited capacity as a one man shop.    I really want to make sure that folks who are waiting on these parts get first pick from this batch.  If you are not yet at least building chapter 10 or 11,  please dont buy from this batch.  Wait at least one month to order this last chapter.

I have cancelled at least 8 orders for chapter 12 parts so far.  All from folks who do this every time I launch a new chapter of parts and I have had this conversation with them before.  Please wait a month for the next batch please as a friendly gesture to your fellow builders.   Most of you guys havent even started chapter 3 yet!  Very selfish of some folks.   After countless conversations...ughhh!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chuck: It is sure nice to see a finished product... and that there is a finish line somewhere out there.

I do have one question.. is there any thought about anchors coming from Syren or is that a DIY project? Was just curious. I think it would be a great DIY project 

Thanks 

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

I didnt have any plans to make those for the Winnie.   Strictly speaking in terms of following a typical contemporary model.  No rope and no anchors or rigged guns etc.  But yes all of that can be added to make each of your own models unique.   Except for a possibly ships barge this project is completed.  As an homage to those contemporary models....like this one.

amazon2.jpg

Chuck

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

I didnt have any plans to make those for the Winnie.   Strictly speaking in terms of following a typical contemporary model.  No rope and no anchors or rigged guns etc.  But yes all of that can be added to make each of your own models unique.   Except for a possibly ships barge this project is completed.  As an homage to those contemporary models....like this one.

amazon2.jpg

Chuck

Chuck: Good point with comparing to what is on a dockyard model. Thanks for the reply. I will have to give it some thought on whether or not to add anchors. 

I may also add a flag on the stern.. may need to check into that a bit more. 

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Can you share any plans or diagrams for the stand?  I’m not exactly sure how to measure out the three pieces for the cradle. I have a cabinet making friend to make a nice base  

Not that I need it anytime soon.  

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2022 at 8:55 PM, Chuck said:

You want that first notch to line up directly across from the one on the knee so those first two battens are straight with the center line. 

Chuck,

Regarding the head gratings, specifically the two inner battens that run from the knees to the hull. The drawing shows them skewed slightly. Should I ignore that and stay parallel to the center line of the hull?

image.png.532e6124e07c0a90405b6a6695d1dc03.png

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Either way would work.   Mine ended up more parallel.  But its more important to just keep them neat.  It really all depends on how far apart your main rails ended up and what the angle into the stem ended up like on your model.  It will probably be different on everyones model…. all be it slightly.  

The more you have to tweak the angle on those notched knees to match the angles…the more different the angles of the battens will be.  Its a very complex area.  

On 4/22/2019 at 4:23 PM, Chuck said:

Thanks for saying...

For those who asked, here is a non blurry photo of the figurehead.  It was getting dirty do to handling with dirty fingers.  So I cleaned it up and applied a coat of sanding sealer.  It looks really good in person but is surprisingly hard to photograph in focus.  The color matches the stem quite well and its still hard to believe this was carved by machine. I didnt use wipe on poly because I dont want it to darken too much.  The stem where it sits will be painted black eventually.   Compare with the contemporary model.  You can see how crude it was carved,  I dare say that Jack did an excellent job improving its appearance.

Actually the knee is painted blue and black below it.  I am not sure if I will do the same.  I may just go with black.  Note the headrails.  They are not carved.  Instead there are friezes painted on them.  That will be an interesting detail to replicate.

figurebollards.jpg

Thrilled to be starting this project!  I may start a build log as well.  So far so good.  Trying to do a lot of the construction on my own but will probably order some of the really intricate parts along the way, which leads me to a figurehead question. Sorry if it's a little off topic or has already been asked (I've looked as best as I can!), I just love the historical backstories.   This figurehead (beautiful by the way) looks to be based off of the original model.  Do you know, for this ship or any of the sister ships, if there are any historical references to the original figureheads?  Even the model in the museum for example, was the figurehead based on a known piece of information, or just a creative addition.  I wasn't able to find anything about them for any of the ships, other than lions were commonly used in the 1700's, but not always (very vague).  Really exciting project, thank you so much for putting this together!

The contemporary model is the original primary source for the carvings.   It was a very important model and made at the time the original ship existed.  So there is absolutely no reason to believe they are an accurate representation of what actually appeared.  You cant get better than that.  To use anything else would be far more speculative and unlikely.  I would absolutely encourage you to start your own build log so any questions you might have would be asked there.   It would also be better for the group to see your progress.  Join the group....dont be shy.

Chuck