Le Gros Ventre by marsalv - FINISHED - 1:48 - POF

Your setup in the second photo was very informative. Your use of a plywood scrap with a hole drilled acts as a steady rest for the mill and I shall use that in the future for sure!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

21 hours ago, marsalv said:

Thank you guys for all likes and comments.

I understand that for some people, the use of CNC machines is a somewhat controversial topic. On the other hand, I remember how I started modeling about 40 years ago with a hand saw and a set of files. Today, no one dares to use various electrical devices that make it easier for us modelers to work. From this point of view, the CNC machine is just another evolutionary step.

To garyshipwright: I am using VCarve Desktop.

I am starting work on main capstan parts - some pictures from production.

LGV_666.jpg

LGV_667.jpg

LGV_668.jpg

LGV_669.jpg

LGV_670.jpg

LGV_671.jpg

LGV_672.jpg

LGV_673.jpg

LGV_674.jpg

LGV_675.jpg

Thank you Marsalv. The machines that we use will always be controversial but then again as you said, they will be just another evolutionary step, sort of like when I purchased a mill for my self.  As far as what tool's you use, be that a set of carving tools or Cnc doesn't matter, both takes a lot of work and skill to achieve what you have shown us. One last question Marsalv, but what tool bits did you use when you did you  cnc carvings, a self made set or a set that one can purchase to do the carving's? I am getting in to CNC, something that I should of done years ago and knowing what the right set of tool bit's that one needs for miniature  carving in cnc will really help. I have been looking but so far have come up empty finding a set.  Look forward in hearing from you. Keep up the outstanding building your doing and thank you. Have you ever thought about doing a a tutorial on Miniature cavings in cnc? Just might be what some of us need to help us grow.   Gary  

Just amazing work. Just as with any tool from a #11 blade on up, having the CNC means nothing without your artistic and technical  skills to use it. I see nothing controversial with using all the tools available today to create such a masterpiece. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

To G. Delacroix - thanks for the info, I made the new one items with no wedges

To garyshipwright - I am using "10 Degree 0.1mm Tip Carbide CNC Bits Flat Bottom Milling Cutter V Shape" (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/852725456.html) for most of CNC 3D carvings. Question about tutorial - I am so sorry, making a video tutorial would be too time consuming and my knowledge of English is minimal:(.

I continue with the assembly of the capstans.

LGV_676.jpg

LGV_677.jpg

LGV_678.jpg

LGV_679.jpg

LGV_680.jpg

LGV_681.jpg

LGV_682.jpg

LGV_683.jpg

LGV_684.jpg

On 2/17/2021 at 9:44 AM, marsalv said:

I am using "10 Degree 0.1mm Tip Carbide CNC Bits Flat Bottom Milling Cutter V Shape"

Marsalv,

Thank you for the information on the cutters you’re using. I was able to find something here in the US at Amazon (here) I don’t think it’s the same manufacturer, but they seem to be good quality. I’m looking forward to giving them a try. E397B342-7484-4E4B-9806-553509F3E4EF.thumb.jpeg.64f6e42b344c2ca813ecd82dbec45860.jpeg

Hi Clay, I tried to get the set that Marsalv showed but for some reason it would not let my order go through.  I found what I believe is the same set that you show. Have you by chance  got a chance to use them and look forward to what you think. Gary

Edited by garyshipwright

Gary,

I haven’t “used” them in the “make a part with them” sense, but I did take some test cuts. My initial worry was that because they’re engraving bits the cuts would have to be really shallow because of not having any flutes to bring oup the swarf. While I didn’t push them, I was able to make 0.0125” deep cuts in cherry without any problems. My old eyes also found it a bit challenging to set 0Z, but I think close is probably fine since they come to such a fine point. 
The one thing I want to investigate further is the alignment of the tip with the axis of the shaft. It seemed as if the cutter was straight from end to tip which would put the tip slightly off center, but this could be a misperception and I didn’t have the patience to investigate further right then. The picture of them on Amazon seems to show the point centered, so I might be mistaken. 

I also wonder how long the tip will stay sharp, but only time will tell. 

Below is a picture of my test cuts in cherry. From the bottom 0.0125” deep, 0.025” + 0.0375”, and 0.0375” stand alone. The two in the middle appear as one because I only moved over 0.05” for the second cut. 

F78B1DAB-D076-4274-9EF3-0B2607D1CFEA.jpeg

To claybaker and garyshipwright - These milling cutters are manufactured by a number of manufacturers in the world, so it does not matter which manufacturer you choose. There are several of these manufacturers on aliexpress. I myself chose the "Chinese variant" because it is significantly cheaper and will do the same service as more expensive milling cutters.

Installation of quarterdeck deck beams.

LGV_688.jpg

LGV_689.jpg

LGV_690.jpg

LGV_691.jpg

LGV_692.jpg

LGV_693.jpg

LGV_694.jpg

LGV_695.jpg

22 hours ago, marsalv said:

There are several of these manufacturers on aliexpress. I myself chose the "Chinese variant" because it is significantly cheaper and will do the same service as more expensive milling cutters

Hi marsalv,

That’s what I was trying to say - that they were available from a number of suppliers - but your way came out much better. 🙂

The build is beautiful. I need to save these photos for reference. 

Clay

Beautiful work. I have a question, “How did you get all the cannon all the same?”  Did you use a CNC feature with the lathe or did you have a replicating pattern to use?

thanks, great work as always. 

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

• 3 weeks later...