USS Tennessee 1869 by Keith Black - scale 1:120 - Wood Hull Screw Frigate - ex Madawaska 1865

Bless and thank you, Dave, Glen, Brian, Roger, Mark, and Keith for your kind and supportive comments and thank you, Phil, Tony, and all for the likes. 

Yesterday I swapped out the old folding table I've been using for the past seven years for a regular table. The folding table was okay but it was narrow, 20 x 48 x 27 inches high and not real sturdy. I was reluctant to put very much weight on it. The new table is 36 x 48 x 30 inches high and solid maple. If rising off the floor after searching for the odd bit gone missing I can grab the edge and pull myself up putting my full weight on the table without worry of it collapsing. Much safer for both myself and the Tennessee.  

I'm back to working on the Tennessee. ^_^

Thank you Eric and Glen for the comments and thank you to all for the likes.

The Madawaska/Tennessee artifact arrived today. I don't question it's authenticity but I do question how it was made. The letters and numbers are indented which suggest stamping yet there's no evidence of bulging on the reverse. All the cast makers plates I've seen the letters and numbers are raised. 

Another curious fact, the Madawaska was launched in 1865 yet the date is 1866. Once back from her shakedown voyage did the Captain put in a requisition for what he thought was a needed 40 gallon tank to go somewhere aboard the ship? Is that why the name "Madawaska" appears on the tag as it was a speciality item that had to make its way through the yard along with all the other ship's items being made? I do love a good brain teaser, I suspect I'll enjoy many moments conjuring the reasons "why".

I'm absolutely ticked pink to hold and be able to place with the Tennessee model an item 156 years old that was part of the ship no matter how insignificant. 

6FB6B078-0BFC-4945-858F-6DD2CA649E62.thumb.jpeg.43431ea57d15deabd92e499dce52690f.jpeg

60D81EE6-30E0-44AB-B8C8-9EBFF679136B.thumb.jpeg.e975a3e5c815c53ee2ffe37246e59e2e.jpeg

56A74FFB-AB17-4024-9C82-BA372B99FC71.thumb.jpeg.517a43a4a6454ae05f0457c678eefa42.jpeg

Edited by Keith Black

I'd guess that it was cast from the looks.  The difference in dates is good question.  How many water tanks were there as built? It's possible that that one or two more were added to ensure water for a voyage.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Keith,

After launching, she would be brought to the fitting out pier to be finished.  This would have included installation of major machinery to heavy to be hoisted aboard while she was on the building ways.  The fitting out pier would have been equipped to do this.  Launching can also apply abnormal longitudinal bending stresses to the hull so her Naval Architects would have wanted to keep launch weight to a minimum.  Finishing her could well have extended into 1866; particularly with her complex machinery installation.

Roger

Roger, thank you for the explanation of the fitting out process. I know that comes from personal experience and I appreciate you sharing.

37 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

How many water tanks were there as built? It's possible that that one or two more were added to ensure water for a voyage.

Mark, I would think that the majority of the tanks would have been off the shelf items. The Navy signs a contract for X number of tanks in X number of sizes and installs them as required? That seems logical but...Roger maybe able to shed light on that. 

The tag is slightly cupped and I assume the dark area on the reverse is where tag was soldered to the tank.

I looked up Madawaska in Canney’s Old Steam Navy. He gives a launch date of July 1865 but no commissioning date.  In the text he mentions a September 1866 sea trial.  Her sisters required 2-3 years from launch until commissioning.  I see no reason to doubt the authenticity of your nameplate.

I believe that the tank was probably made especially for the ship at the New York Navy Yard.

Roger

Ahoy, Keith,

We may find it difficult to recognize when God is giving us the emotional, mental, and spiritual strength to face what we must, but He does.  Glad to hear this particular chapter is behind.  Still, a parent should never have to bury a child.  My prayers continue to go with you.

Mark

Results, not Excuses,

AnchorClanker

“Behold, how good and pleasant it is

when brothers and sisters dwell in unity!"

Ps 133:1

• 3 weeks later...

Just read your log for the first time Keith; so very sorry to learn of your loss, and feel bad that I didn't take the time to follow your build until now. So pleased that you find comfort in this community, and I add my condolences to those above. 

I can't begin to imagine how you feel, but I do think that getting on with pratical things at a time of loss is a very good way of keeping some sense of normality and purpose; and your boat is the most wonderful creation. 

I will keep following from now on, and my very best wishes to you and your family.

Andy

'You're gonna need a bigger boat!'

Completed Build: Orca from the film 'Jaws'.

Current Build: Sailing Trawler Vigilance BM76

Catching up after some time away and pleased to hear that you’re moving forward in life Keith, as difficult as that process may be.  It’s all anyone can do after personal tragedy strikes.  Life is short and so fragile, but it needs to be lived and enjoyed as best we can.

Glad to see you were able to acquire that nameplate.  Great score and it will be a really nice addition to your finished model display.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

• 3 weeks later...

A long over due of thanks to Roger for his comments regarding the 40 gallon ID tag and to Mark, Andy, and Gary for their thoughtful comments. A grateful thank you to each of you for stopping by and providing support and being a part of my journey.

Getting to the where I left off point wasn't easy but I have finally made progress on the Tennessee, both the main and foremast now have all their blocks installed.

Almost two years ago I installed a bunch of blocks on the foremast. When I picked back up a month and a half ago I had to remove most of those blocks due to either being poorly stropped or because of incorrect placement. There are 29 blocks on the mainmast and 24 on the foremast. I should have been able to do this work in three weeks but it took time to get focused and my fingers retrained. 

I have temporarily run the main, top and topgallant mast stays as a dress rehearsal to make sure there won't be any unpleasant surprises once I start rigging. If you note the main top platforms you'll see two sets of bulls eyes, these are for the top and topgallant stays. It works and it's logical but I'm not sure it's correct but right or wrong, I'm moving forward.

Once again, thank you. 

763D06CB-746C-476B-8454-50BBC66D78E0.thumb.jpeg.a5119f287f27452d4564ac7324cc5cae.jpeg

6ADCEC7E-4B98-484E-B5CF-987D88E198F7.thumb.jpeg.7d1c7b31e0199d3d3c2272d1a216a526.jpeg

B81060E5-8372-466C-A062-89A42C7075F3.thumb.jpeg.d3b5b010b63ba79e37aa667ac1316909.jpeg

DF0E0A16-4839-46E1-9199-39C29C982BC5.thumb.jpeg.95f34f09dd9c6d6dc42946cb91d58b82.jpeg

1740D4A4-D1BD-43C3-9A38-FCD824C8EE9E.thumb.jpeg.70c2640c836d94fe9208b18500e87079.jpeg

799FED9F-FA13-4D71-8DB9-A5ED865280D5.thumb.jpeg.3b2b1e1300c9305a6a93ed4b54663a8b.jpeg

Keith, you just made my day. So glad to see you back at it. Looking good!

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Great to see you back, Keith.  Reworks are usually not fun but the results are worth it.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I echo what Tom, Brian, and Mark say above.  Your additional progress on the Tennessee is fantastic, but the best part is seeing you back and working on it.

Great to see your update; welcome back mate.  Looking terrific.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Tennessee is looking awesome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Tom, Brian, Mark, Glen, Pat, Andrew, Andy, and Phil, thank so much for the kind comments and thank you to each one of you for the likes. Your kindness and support is why I was able to start work again on the Tennessee. I am humbled and truly blessed. 

In my last post I  asked that you note the bulls eyes on the tops platform. After looking at the pictures I posted one would be hard pressed to "note the bulls eyes" so I've added a few more photos where you can actually see what "note" is. :)

And I have to apologize for the quality of the photos. My camera is a Canon Rebel EOS T3. I have 7, 100 watt LED daylight bulbs for a light source and I still get less than satisfactory images. If I use flash I get a sharp image image but shadows, if I use the LED lights I get a fuzzy image but it's pretty shadow free. Frustrating to say the least. 

Again, thank you. 

Mainmast

C57C4D00-8183-426A-BC8B-E47EB61D0AF9.thumb.jpeg.8e399ac673f9fbfa631d7c11b944d5d1.jpeg

48625D3D-EBD9-42C7-9E18-D2973E25C1E9.thumb.jpeg.85172151875d3ed0a61519a3b8c90889.jpeg

Foremast5EBEA403-6403-484D-B6CB-5B34EA3B2D2C.thumb.jpeg.d2705770ff187890cec35bfca3a1a60d.jpeg

9915CAC0-289B-4250-85BE-052C14F5D0E3.thumb.jpeg.34c69d188fd7181084713e7eb73828fe.jpeg

Edited by Keith Black

Try this Keith... put a piece of foil over the flash such that next to no light gets out and then shoot using the "flash" setting. Some cameras set the aperture down for flash and that improves the focus.  Looks like your close so short focal length.   Or maybe try a manual setting.  Try some experiments see if any of that helps.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Just beautiful work!

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

she looks fantastic

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

19 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Frustrating to say the least. 

Mark's advice sounds very good to me.

I know exactly what you mean Keith; had the same problem myself. I used the Admiral's Lumix to take some of my shots, and on automatic focus or flash I got the same results as you when close-up to the subject - (well actually yours are a deal better than mine to be fair). Then, under patient tuition, (as I am clueless on this really) I was shown how to put the thing in to 'aperture priority mode' and increase the indirect lighting (reflecting my anglepoise lamp off a white sheet) whilst making the aperture smaller. After a bit of trial an error I did get a passable improvement.

Here's a snap taken on auto...

IMG_8974_1280.thumb.JPG.cdac3f64078d624730c9783ffb23d619.JPG

...and one with 'the method':

IMG_8980_1280.JPG.804aa5607b796539904cd65c7d7d8686.JPG

If yours has the same button, it might be worth a go. Failing that others who really understand cameras will surely chip in!

Edited by FlyingFish

Andy

'You're gonna need a bigger boat!'

Completed Build: Orca from the film 'Jaws'.

Current Build: Sailing Trawler Vigilance BM76

Beautiful detail Keith - creating the rigging detail must be a real challenge and you are doing so well.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Mark and Andy, thank you for the photography tips and Lyle, Kevin, Keith C, Brian, KeithAug, and Gary, thank you for your kind comments.

I finally got a decent photo of the bulls eyes albeit only one pair. This taken with flash, using flash seems to be the only way I can get a good sharp close up.   81294204-301D-49E1-9C49-DDD87D089A54.thumb.jpeg.8a1522af324a096204f8208f5d685233.jpeg

When I enter the room I use as the shipyard, before turning on the lights and starting work, the Tennessee greets me silhouetted in one of the south facing windows. There really are nine yards, the mizzen topsail is eclipsed. :)

34A874AD-5587-4106-9C21-8EBA52FE5A98.thumb.jpeg.35c5c125d2824ffc258619a9a859f6b2.jpeg

God bless and thank you to all for the likes and for following along on my journey.

Edited by Keith Black