DKM Graf Zeppelin by RGL - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/350 - PLASTIC

Nice quick and "clean" build the patrol boat. Weathering looks good on it, despite it's small size!

Oh goody ... airplanes at 1:350 ... you are going to have a ball, or juggling to keep them in the air

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Nice job on the S-Boat!  

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

The Kettenkrad must have just chewed up the decking something rotten, guessing it was used to pull planes and dollies?  Really, a Kubelwagen?  What was that used for, heading into town at night? 🙂

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

It’s logs like this that made me want to try plastic models.  Incredible job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

57 minutes ago, mtdoramike said:

I'm curious since you are about done with her, would this model be a decent candidate for Radio control conversion? Is there enough room for the motors, servos, batteries and would it float high enough in the water to keep from getting soaked?

mike 

This ship has a narrow beam compared to a US or Japanese carrier. Not sure how that might play into it's stability.

7 hours ago, RGL said:

I wanted to perhaps do a seaplane that would act as a recovery or guard plane like they have helicopters, but the only one I really liked is about $100USD for a 1/350 plane that is not with it, so a fast patrol boat it is. 

Whoever is trying to charge $100 USD  for a 1/350 model should probably receive a kind note that they might want to think about reviewing their pricing structures. lol

catching up on your log Greg :)   wonderful progress!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 hour ago, knightyo said:

Whoever is trying to charge $100 USD  for a 1/350 model should probably receive a kind note that they might want to think about reviewing their pricing structures. lol

Maybe it is $25 US for the kit and $75 US for postage to ship it to OZ. ;)

2 hours ago, CDW said:

This ship has a narrow beam compared to a US or Japanese carrier. Not sure how that might play into it's stability.

The reason why I ask this, is the Tamiya 1/350 scale Bismarck actually comes with instructions on how to convert the Bismarck and Tirpitz to R/C with full instructional diagram and the battery tray built into the inside bottom of the hull. I have seen the above two mentioned kits converted to R/C on YouTube, but they are Tamiya 1/350 and not Trumpeter 1/350 

Thanks Greg, I have seen the Yamoto conversion and it worked quite well for a 1/350 scale ship, I have also seen some of the trumpeter kits converted to R/C, but the scale was always 1/200, which makes for a very large model. 

To me, anything under 24" or two feet for one of these ship models would be problematic just trying to stuff all the electronics in it and then getting it balance out right. Anything 28" or larger would work better.   

Edited by mtdoramike

42 minutes ago, cog said:

So what's stopping you 

Research, learning about plastic kits after not working on one in the last three decades, acquiring supplies, etc.  Amazon and eBay tell me I have a lot of goodies waiting for me when I get home from work.

Actually I’ll probably start this weekend (I’m building the Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350 with Hasegawa and Infini upgrades).  Not sure if I’ll do a build log as it might be littered with frustration and bad language. 😐

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

19 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Research, learning about plastic kits after not working on one in the last three decades, acquiring supplies, etc.  Amazon and eBay tell me I have a lot of goodies waiting for me when I get home from work.

Actually I’ll probably start this weekend (I’m building the Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350 with Hasegawa and Infini upgrades).  Not sure if I’ll do a build log as it might be littered with frustration and bad language. 😐

You'll just have to do like all the rest of us and consider yourself a work in progress. You will learn new things, get more proficient, and better with time and practice. I never ever build a model I am totally satisfied with. I think in a way, that's a big part of what keeps me interested.

50 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Humour us. We'll read past the bad language ... I'll say it out loud, but it is not in the printed version ;)  By the way, a nice ship you have chosen

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

4 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Hey we love frustration and bad language, cut my teeth on the stuff.

Astonishing detail Greg; she sure will look the part with her planes added.  Have you thought of placing her in a diorama of sorts (painted background of sea horizon, sky, clouds and perhaps a plane or two flying around?

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

People do more and more sea scapes now, and I think that even if perfected it, (the water that is) I would have to spend thousands on staffing the ship yet alone the space it would take. 

I’ve spent most of today doing up the air wings. The plans say to file off the cockpit and replace with PE, and it would require buying extra PE, and I’m not convinced I particularly like the look. 

As you you can see, the flight deck is going to be busy

72DC2598-03E1-43B8-83C1-D3D4239FB830.jpeg

Greg