Yep, now i got 5 in the shipyard... and i definitely will spend this weekend with Speedy. 🙂 Yes its a very exclusive kit and its something completely different than my other kits 🙂

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

37 minutes ago, JToma said:

Looks like a great kit. I'm feeling tempted :)

It’s a temptation worth giving into 🙂

Just had word from the Italians regarding Speedy PE. It will be ready for me to pick up from Italy on 5th (next Thursday), so will receive the parts  a couple of days after this. I need to then prepare each set for the kits and simply add them to the already made up kits for each customer. All Speedy's will be shipped between 10th-13th December, so all in time for Christmas.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

OK, I have booked the UPS pick up for Speedy PE parts from Italy today, and I should receive them tomorrow. They will need to be prepared for each kit, so all ordered kits will be ready to send on Monday, all being well.

I have also been accepted for the funding of a high end laser/engraver machine, which I will be getting within the next few weeks. This is quite an investment, but feel it is essential if I am to continue.

logo.jpg

I guess there will soon be many happy customers waiting at the door! I have decided to put my other builds on a slight hold just to see how this Speedy will look like with a built hull and some details. 

I cant wait to hear what is coming next from Vanguards 🙂

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

8 hours ago, Jorge Diaz O said:

Hola, ¿venderías la cifra solo en 1/48 y 1/35?Lord Cochrane

Hi Jorge,

Not in the immediate future, no. At the moment, I would not be able to justify the set up costs for another two figures in those scales. Not yet, at least.

logo.jpg

I just received 20kg worth of Speedy photo etched brass and copper parts, all look great. All components for the Speedy kit are now with me, as stated above, the kits will now be completed and shipping booked over the next few days.

logo.jpg

Well, I have ONE Master Shipwright Speedy kit left in stock! These were genuine limited edition kits, as I will not be doing anymore kits using boxwood for planking for a very good while. Pear is a very nice wood, though.

I may have to use a sub contractor to cut more Speedy kits, but if I do not receive anything this side of Christmas, I may as well do these myself, so once the stock is gone, that will be it for a while, as I need to re-organise. I never thought that I would run out of my Speedy stock so quickly.

I have ordered my new laser/engraver machine, which will be arriving two weeks today. I have also ordered the materials I will need - but will probably have to re-format all of my existing laser cut CAD files..

I would like to start offering fittings. Stuff like closed and open heart blocks (never liked standard kit versions), and gun carriages, all in pearwood and 72 and 64th scales. I did get quotes for these, but the cost was so high, it was this that pushed me into thinking that I need my own laser machine, more freedom.

Thank you!

logo.jpg

1 hour ago, chris watton said:

I would like to start offering fittings. Stuff like closed and open heart blocks (never liked standard kit versions), and gun carriages, all in pearwood and 72 and 64th scales. I did get quotes for these, but the cost was so high, it was this that pushed me into thinking that I need my own laser machine, more freedom.

Hi Chris,

That is welcome news, I probably spend more on fittings than on kits (second only to my spend on books), there is I believe an outlet  for after market fittings. It would be nice to see a UK/European high quality outlet.  I’m willing to spend on quality and like Chuck’s fittings but as he often points out himself the cost of international shipping can be prohibitive so I welcome a complimentary service (not that I’d be giving upon Syren, high quality competition can only be a good thing).

Gary

9 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Hi Chris,

That is welcome news, I probably spend more on fittings than on kits (second only to my spend on books), there is I believe an outlet  for after market fittings. It would be nice to see a UK/European high quality outlet.  I’m willing to spend on quality and like Chuck’s fittings but as he often points out himself the cost of international shipping can be prohibitive so I welcome a complimentary service (not that I’d be giving upon Syren, high quality competition can only be a good thing).

Gary

Cheers :)

I would only want to produce fittings for kits I have done in the past, 72nd and 64th scale. Have to be careful what I choose to do though, if they have to be complimented with PE fittings (as gun carriages would need to be). Just stuff like capstans, binnacles, and when I have enough ready, a full suite of ships boats. Things like this can only be done if one has their own equipment to make them, I think, as outsourcing the laser cutting for such things is simply not financially viable. 

logo.jpg

Sounds great! I have been looking Into Syren to "pimp my kits" but not ordering anything get. Its always easier to order things from Europé to Sweden.

OK, I have just finished the last UPS shipping form for all customers who pre ordered their Speedy. Everyone that ordered a Speedy will receive theirs next week. I think the latest is Friday for an Australian customer. They are all going via UPS, and are all packed as well as they can be, protected by a thick cardboard shipping sleeve. (Learnt a lot from doing those initial Alert orders...)

My wife, Chantelle, tells me that her favourite job is doing the rigging lines, she loves that! Not really, this is the one job she hates, as it takes so long. Need to find a better way to 'automate' this aspect...

logo.jpg

9 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

Out of curiosity do you have any side by side pictures of the Alert and Speedy builds? 

Do you mean the completed models, side by side? If yes, then no, Alert is safely in a spare room. I figured I would take a group shot when I have more that two kits available..

logo.jpg

So you'll have the fleet passing in review, Chris? 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

8 hours ago, mtaylor said:

So you'll have the fleet passing in review, Chris? 

Not for a while, though!

I will not be able to work on the third kit for a week or two, as all time (when not at work in my other job) is taken up by sorting future Speedy kits and getting things ready for laser machine next week.

At the moment, I have 7 Speedy's in stock. The laser cut is by the same company that did the Master Shipwright pearwood version, all is the same except basswood laser cut parts and pearwood second planking and blocks).

I have sent off wood to the laser company for another 20 Speedy kits (in case it takes longer than I thought to master my own laser machine). These will be for the new main kit, which will have pearwood laser cut parts and pearwood planking, with options in drop down menu for the Cochrane book and pearwood blocks. This version will be £280, but not sure if I will have parts cut this side of Xmas.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

UPS have just delivered an interesting looking parcel. It was whisked away and hidden before I could inspect it, so I suspect I might be in luck for Christmas! 😃

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Congratulations Chris on your second kit. What a fantastic and exciting time in this hobby with your entry into kit manufacture.  I plan to purchase another kit from you , but have to keep my powder dry & wait to see what exciting larger ships come on stream next year.  Very much looking forward to what is next. 

regards

Malcolm   

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

• 2 weeks later...

My laser machine arrived Friday, so the weekend was spent sorting out new workshop, which still needs finishing. However, I did use the machine, and I am very happy with the cutting and quality. I have cut another 12 complete sets of Alert parts (pearwood version), and parts fit together perfectly. It was one of the better machines on offer, though, with a top quality laser tube that's made in Germany. 

I did one set of Speedy 3mm MDF with part numbers laser etched in each part, and this seems to work very well. As I am no longer having to pay for a sub contractors time, I can now do this.

Still a lot of learning regarding the laser etching side though - tried a Speedy deck and completely nuked it! Still, I am very pleased I made the investment.

logo.jpg

That's great news, Chris.  It is a process to dial those lasers in.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Cheers guys,

I have been playing around with the machine, and here are some of the results. I have cut a dozen or so sets for  Alert kits, and designing 'fittings', such as 64th and 72nd scale open and closed heat blocks, and 64th and 72nd scale ladders, all in pearwood.

Not sure about the ladders, as the steps are already cut to length, so am wondering if I offer these with an option for the customer to ask me to do the length they need (to fit in the combings) and I do the steps to order, is that a good idea? I have already made the steps in 1mm incremental lengths. Do these look OK?

Heart blocks 1.jpg

Ladders 1.jpg

Ladders 2.jpg

Ladders 3.jpg

Ladders 4.jpg

New laser - Alert 1.jpg

New laser - Alert 2.jpg

New laser - Alert 3.jpg

New laser - Speedy 1.jpg

logo.jpg