14 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

Chris, have you tried to work with poplar? Seems to have the boxwood characteristic and easy to find and buy. Slightly more dense but beautiful too.

No, I tried poplar ply though, and was weak as hell. It is quite light, and can have streaks of grey or green, which is no good for kit parts. I also thought this was quite a low density wood, being soft?

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

I'n the past I have used boxwood on numerous models. Your use of pear, along with you're beautiful design is why I've ordered the Duchess. 😁

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Chris,

I noticed several members have already started or talked about starting Duchess builds.

Would it be out of line to ask how many of these have flown off the shelf so far?

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

21 minutes ago, Gregory said:

Chris,

I noticed several members have already started or talked about starting Duchess builds.

Would it be out of line to ask how many of these have flown off the shelf so far?

It is selling quite well. In fact, I haven't got a lot of stock left, and need to re-order some parts.

Sales ensure future kit investment, and good sales please me as I know I can continue what I want to develop and release.

Looks like Royal George is likely at some point..

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Forgot to add, I had the production sets of carronade barrels arrive today, so they will be going on the website sometime next week. I have:

32 Pounder carronade barrel, slide carriage and PE  (Standard armament of most British brigs/brig-sloops of the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic era - an 18 gun brig like Cruiser would have had 16x32 pounder carronades and 2x6 pounder chase guns)

24 Pounder carronade barrel, slide carriage and PE

18 Pounder carronade barrel, slide carriage and PE

12 Pounder carronade barrel (early type with trunnions), with option of slide carriage or side carriage (like standard cannon) and PE

Also available now is an 18 pounder short (42.75mm overall length), which were issued to most (but not all) 38 gun frigates

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Does the cutter currently available come with a small stand (for display as a stand alone model)? or will any of these assuming they will also be available by themselves?

6 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

Does the cutter currently available come with a small stand (for display as a stand alone model)? or will any of these assuming they will also be available by themselves?

Only boats that are made for the kits, as they need to have specific distances, especially if stowed on beams. If they came with cradles, there would be a good chance they would be in the wrong positions, depending on where and how they are stowed.

logo.jpg

Hmm, I think that I am misunderstanding the answer (or I phrased the question poorly, both very possible). I didn’t mean a cradle for display on another ship model, but for display on your desk on its own for example.

One of the small ships boats that Master Korabel sells (here at agesofsail.com: Yawl) seemingly comes with a nice display stand so that it makes a complete package on its own.

I was thinking that would be a neat addition, but as I think about it more it is not that difficult to scratch build one.

I now have 1:64th carronade kits available. These are:

12 Pounder early carronade with choice of truck or sliding carriage. (These really are quite dinky...)

18, 24 and 32 Pounder carronades. They are sold as singles and include the black resin barrel, PE and laser cut pear carriage parts. For the 18, 24 and 32 Pounder carriages, there are choices for mounting on the deck or on the lower gun port opening ledge.

In the pics, the trunnion bracket on the carronade barrels overhang the upper bed slightly, it does not on the production kit parts.

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/carronade-kits/

Also available now is the 18 Pounder short barrel.

logo.jpg

I had to log off and go to work when I typed that reply. I meant to add that the cannon are of the Armstrong pattern, as most of the subjects I will be doing are from around 1720-1800 - although I do know that after 1794, the Bloomfield pattern was to become standard in the navy (where the loop was forged over the knob on the cascabel).

logo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update - In case some of you tried to make purchases on my website with a credit card and payment not completing, I had a long talk with the payment gateway tech support, and it appeared that one of my payment plug ins was not updated to to the latest version (should have done it automatically). We have now installed a new plug in that WorldPay gave me, which seems to have solved the payment fail problems.

If you did try and order and wonder what the hell was wrong, sorry, it wasn't you, it was a pesky plug in...

All is fine now...

logo.jpg

31 minutes ago, ASAT said:

Any updates on Sphinx?

I am working on it, just CAD stuff though, so no nice pics to show.  Mainly masts and yard drawings, just to get the laser cut and PE associated with these  assemblies nailed. I do have the sample cast resin stern and figurehead decoration arriving next week, and the PE for the three ships boats arriving too. These will be included in the Sphinx kit, but also available to buy as separate mini kits once ready (22 foot yawl, 24 foot launch and 28 foot pinnace)

I am back at work full time, too, which is a pain, and I have had to spend a lot of time at the laser machine, cutting production parts for existing kits

logo.jpg

A little update.

It has come to my attention that a lot of emails have gone unanswered. I can only apologise, the email account was not added to my main accounts, as I thought all mail came via 'enquiries@..'

I feel really bad about this, as there are a lot of emails from people that I didn't even know I had, and must have thought I was ignoring them.

However, this has now been resolved, so no more unanswered emails!

Sorry,

Chris

logo.jpg

Yesterday I had a small amount of stock for a selected few Blomefield pattern cannon.

I will be having more sizes made in the future, but what I have now is shown in the line drawings. These are 3-d printed and are of a dull black colour. I will be using the 9 pounder Armstrong shorts for Sphinx.

These (Blomefield) were introduced in around 1795, so it is very probable that if the model you are making was launched around this time, it would have had the newer Blomefield pattern. However, I would assume that older ships that were still active after this date would have kept their original armament throughout their operational careers (Armstrong pattern).

I will get some pics of the castings soon.

Cannon Carriage and gun sets (Blomefield) – VANGUARD MODELS

b6l-1.jpg

b9s-1.jpg

b12l-1.jpg

b18l-1.jpg

b18s-1.jpg

b18s-2.jpg

logo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, is it possible that you offer the Armstrongs and also the Blombfields in scale 1/48?

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali