42 minutes ago, Gregory said:

Big tease..

That may be a bit of an understatement! :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

600MM.  What is that in real length?  :rolleyes:

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

30 minutes ago, Chuck Seiler said:

600MM.  What is that in real length?  :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, amateur said:

0.60 meters :)

Jan

60cm or 2ft 😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Almost 24 inches for the hull.

Have to be careful, as the kits are designed for almost anyone to have a go. What I always have to think of is fragile parts, and how will the non expert modellers fare, a thin line between enjoyment of building and utter frustration. But the pics show more or less what I have in mind for my larger kits, will have to see how the stern holds up to some rough treatment, though, as I know some will moan when they break something..

I cut these parts this morning, actually, I cut two whole sets with slightly different designs for the forecastle and quarterdeck beams, and the one shown proved to be much easier to construct, so that may be what I shall go with, with those beams being spaced to scale.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Fascinating to watch a design get developed.  I agree about the risk point of the stern Frames. They do seem a bit fragile, maybe include a few spares in the kit.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

24 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

Fascinating to watch a design get developed.  I agree about the risk point of the stern Frames. They do seem a bit fragile, maybe include a few spares in the kit.

I think I will keep stern frames as is, as I would like the modeller have the option of fitting out that area if they so wished. If they are all solid (but completely fool-proof), then it's a lot of work to try and mod that area. Better to meet half way, allow the modders a fighting chance whilst also allowing the general model maker to sand the area for the stern fascia with minimum risk of breaking anything - so the frames are a lot deeper that they should be, scale-wise.

Oh yes, also I shall add coamings and gratings for that lower/berth deck

But, I must stop this now and concentrate on the Duchess of Kingston manual, which shouldn't take too long thanks to Jim.

logo.jpg

6 hours ago, amateur said:

0.60 meters

Touche'

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

On 9/17/2020 at 11:41 AM, chris watton said:

I started designs on my first medium/large development (a littler larger than a Fly type kit),

I don't believe you named the model.  Will it be a ship-rigged sloop LIKE the FLY, different class?  ...or something else?

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

2 minutes ago, Chuck Seiler said:

I don't believe you named the model.  Will it be a ship-rigged sloop LIKE the FLY, different class?  ...or something else?

It is ship rigged, armed with 20 x 9-pounders, Fly (Swan Class) had 16 x 6 pounders plus swivels, as built.

Am sure many have already worked out the name and class.. :)

logo.jpg

HMS Sphinx - 6th rate 

The excitement is palpable. 

Yep, HMS Sphynx, will be my 7th kit, a real step up in size and complexity.

Am laser cutting 2nd lot of 'pre-prototype parts now.

I thought the 1mm pear for ladder sides, especially double layered, looked a trifle thick. I ordered a batch of 0.6mm pear sheet (more expensive, but prefer things to look more in scale), and designed and just laser cut a pair of ladders for the orlop and mid deck hatch. All ladders will be designed to suit each hatch opening. I copied the ladder profile from the original plans.

Sphynx Ladders 1.jpg

Sphynx Ladders 2.jpg

Sphynx Ladders 3.jpg

Sphynx Ladders 4.jpg

logo.jpg

Ahh the secret is out. I get the first one, well the second one after James puts us all to shame. 😁

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Excellent!!!  Thanks.  Looking forward to it.

Chuck Seiler
Nautical Research Guild

OK, am now fully up to date with the Duchess of Kingston manual, not much left to do on that. So today I cut the second 'pre-prototype' Sphinx parts, which have quite a few little changes from the first. One of which is making sure the bowsprit sits correctly when added. Still only MDF for most parts. Gun deck is split into halves. I did try bending a complete deck into position on the first prototype, but only managed to damage the bulkhead tabs. Nothing is glued at all at this stage, just checking critical alignments. In fact, I shall recommend that nothing is glued until the 2mm lower/birth deck is in place.

The upper tabs look vulnerable, but the gun port 'stringers' are added (3mm MDF) once the gun deck is in place, making them a lot stronger as they connect to every single bulkhead. In fact, because the deck is in two halves, they could be added before fitting the deck...

proto 2 1.jpg

proto 2 2.jpg

proto 2 3.jpg

proto 2 4.jpg

logo.jpg

lovely work Chris

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Looks really awesome! I really am amazed that you can do all these developments this relatively quickly “on the side.” Sphynx looks really impressive! Looking forward to seeing her development unfold (and then James build her hopefully).

One of the things I like about Speedy and Flirt is the close distance between bulkheads, especially at the bow, there seems to be more the traditional kit spacing on these. Or maybe it’s just my imagination. 

Regards,

Glenn

Don't know finished dimensions, haven't looked at masts and yards yet, as I have only just started. I know the hull is around 605mm without any spars. Am figuring about 770/780mm overall length, as there's no mizzen gaff boom jutting out from the stern (being 1775)

No Jim for this one, am on my own, as Jim has the Amati Victory to do, the two timer! :)

logo.jpg

3 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

One of the things I like about Speedy and Flirt is the close distance between bulkheads, especially at the bow, there seems to be more the traditional kit spacing on these. Or maybe it’s just my imagination. 

Gun port spacing :)

logo.jpg

Brilliantly executed Chris! Amazing that her complexity will be reproduced by the nature of the design and not as dependent upon the modelers skill. Absolutely cutting edge, next generation advancement of ship modeling. I am thinking this design concept will revolutionize the possibility for the modeler to produce excellent results and also allow more modelers to undertake more complex ship kits. I wonder how many kits it will take before every other designer/manufacturer will be “outdated” or obsolete? 😀 This has to be the most significant leap forward I have seen in my 25 ish years in the hobby! 

12 minutes ago, chris watton said:

No Jim for this one, am on my own, as Jim has the Amati Victory to do, the two timer! :)

Traitor! (J/k of course 😁)

Cheers ASAT. I don't know know, though, I love Chuck and CAF's models, they are great, and lot more technical than mine. But I try to design with the novice in mind, and hope they can build something that looks great out of the box without too much 'kit bashing', like we're used to with the older mainstream kits.

ETA - Forgot to mention, bulkheads and bow/stern patterns are thicker MDF and keel is 3mm, to be clad either side, like Duchess of Kingston for etched details and rabbets.

logo.jpg

5 minutes ago, chris watton said:

I love Chuck and CAF's models, they are great, and lot more technical than mine.

It’s wonderful they all exist - such variety and choice! Even including other makers too... I think it’s great to have so many options.

Edit - Very grateful for your novice approach. I don’t think I would’ve been as happy with a first “serious” build.

14 minutes ago, chris watton said:

Cheers ASAT. I don't know know, though, I love Chuck and CAF's models, they are great, and lot more technical than mine. But I try to design with the novice in mind, and hope they can build something that looks great out of the box without too much 'kit bashing', like we're used to with the older mainstream kits.

I love the diversity and their efforts are stellar no doubt, but this is new, refreshing and exciting potential and seems to me a very creative and original application of the latest technologies  - I am joyful that our hobby is in such capable hands!! All of them!! 

• 2 weeks later...