3 hours ago, chris watton said:

Barking Fish

We've got some weird creatures here in Oz, but barking fish?? 😆

(Yes, I know Barking is a town in England, but temptation got the better of me.)

Edited by Richard44

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

Ships' Boats - Vanguard 1:64 and Master Korabel 1:72

Alexander Arbuthnot,  Christiaan Brunings,  Pevenseall by World of Paperships

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Captain John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nitikin

Rumpler "Taube" 1911 by HMV

3 hours ago, chris watton said:

There is one I may do called 'Saucy Jack', a Barking Fish carrier!

That would be very cool! I couldn't find a photo of these fishing smacks but here is an interesting article about them. 

http://valencehousecollections.co.uk/browse/are-you-being-saucy-jack/

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Chris, first off, congratulations with the obvious success of your latest model kit.

Looking forward to see the kits being built on here.

You seem to be a breath of fresh air in what was becoming a rather stagnant hobby, not too many kit manufactures are putting out new innovative kits like you are.

Back in January, I think it was you wrote,

Just the smallest of updates, I now have three sizes of stern lantern available. They come in pairs and consist of a cast resin top and bottom, and fold-around photo etch frame that fits in between. Simple things, but the castings are quite detailed, especially compared to my past efforts, a turned top and bottom on the lathe and cast in white metal..

Lanterns – VANGUARD MODELS

Sizes are (height):

• SMALL – 17.8mm
  • MEDIUM – 21.3mm
  • LARGE – 23.7mm

What happened to these lanterns?

You only list two sizes these days, and just to clarify, is the measurement from top of vent to underside where the bracket fits?

Its hard to judge using the clip as a scale and I don't know how big James's hands are!

Will the earlier sizes make a comeback or indeed do you have any left?

Thanks.

M.

The three sizes of lanterns are still there, they are on page two of the fittings pages:

Lanterns (pairs) – Standard – VANGUARD MODELS

So I sell a total of 5 different size lanterns, three with PE and and a cast resin top and bottom, and 2 sizes that are 3-d printed. and originally developed for Sphinx (at quite a late stage in the development).

Regarding the smaller fishing boat kits, some have asked for non UK subjects. I decided to concentrate first on UK based vessels because I know that many European manufacturers already have their local fishing boat kits for beginner kits (Italian, Spanish, French etc.), and US manufacturers cater for that market.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Look what arrived today, as promised by my printers!

We will spend all weekend finishing the Sphinx kits, and making sure all is packed well, ready for shipping. All orders will be shipped next week.

In the meantime, I have still been working on the new fishing boast designs, and have gone almost as far as I can with my pre-prototype models of Erycina and Nisha.

I received samples of the 3-d printed castings for them yesterday. I decided to have the tow posts drawn in CAD and 3-d printed because I wanting it to be as true to the real thing as I could, as it has many shapes, coupled with a bracket with holes each side at the top. The winch drums are also 3-d printed castings, as is the chain pipe. The forward winch drums are new turned brass parts I had made. The rest of the kits will consist of laser cut and PE parts - but have to wait for the PE until next month...

Sphinx Plans and manual 2.jpg

Sphinx Plans and manual 3.jpg

Erycina and Nisha 1.jpg

Erycina and Nisha 2.jpg

Erycina and Nisha 3.jpg

Erycina and Nisha 4.jpg

Erycina and Nisha 5.jpg

Erycina and Nisha 6.jpg

Erycina and Nisha 7.jpg

logo.jpg

What a fantastic line of models you are creating, Chris, and the instructions are as good as it gets. I really like the fishing vessels you are offering and I hope you'll continue to consider more of these smaller working vessels in your line of models in the future. 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

2 hours ago, BobG said:

smaller working vessels

Aren’t you starting your Flirt?

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

50 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

Aren’t you starting your Flirt?

Yes, I will be starting the Flirt while working on the Pen Duick as well. I'm just glad that Chris isn't just making warships. I love the fishing vessels and all sorts of small crafts. 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

After an age sorting the 51 sets of plans and manual, and working out the best way to fit all in the box, the first has been done! 6.5kg in total (Speedy kit is 2kg and Duchess a little under 2.5kg)

Now for the rest..

Sphinx complete in box 1.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

So tempting......

Chris, you are evil 😉😀

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Hoping the box doesn’t collapse during shipping as the UPS people toss it about with all that weight. 😳

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Chris, can you give us a glimpse of what the rigs are like for the fishing boats?  I found Erycina online, but she’s only shown as a gaff-rigged cutter, one mast.  

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Currently building:  Brig Sloop HMS Flirt - Vanguard Models

Completed"Lady Isabella" Scottish Fishing Zulu - Vanguard Models

16 minutes ago, EKE said:

Chris, can you give us a glimpse of what the rigs are like for the fishing boats?  I found Erycina online, but she’s only shown as a gaff-rigged cutter, one mast.  

She was built as a cutter (1882), hence the lovely lines.

ETA to include my rough initial drawings for Nisha sail plan

p74223_5659541f-ef63-4ca6-8305-b9fc2e3d30da_1024x1024.jpg

Nisha sail plan.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Busy day! Am laser cutting second batch of Sphinx stock and helping my wife with packing and booking the kits. But mostly Chantelle, as the 0.6mm pear sheet I am cutting requires a lot of attention...

I think I already mentioned, I will not be able to laser cut anything from 19th September until early October, as our garage is having a new floor, new roof and walls insulated and partitioned, one half for the laser machines, and the other for materials (and gym..). So am keeping the laser machine running for as long as I can until then. I then get my second laser machine in late October, which I am very much looking forward to.

Regarding the Sphinx second batch, the price has to be increased as I wanted the first batch to be a kind of 'special offer', as a lot of work per kit hasn't been taken into account for the first batch.

I have mentioned that each kit has 6 and a half hours laser cutting/etching alone, and then on top there is much prep required after this.

And to (almost) cap it all, I now have to pay import duty for my materials I get from the EU, which seems very arbitrary (with Germany being the absolute worst culprit) 

Finally, shipping rates, although dynamic and linked to the UPS server, so should be correct, have severely undercharged for all non-UK shipping. 

This business thing is a hell of a learning curve....

logo.jpg

So beautiful, Chris!  I love the lines of these kind of working boats.  I’m so excited that you are creating these kits.

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

1 hour ago, chris watton said:

She was built as a cutter (1882), hence the lovely lines.

ETA to include my rough initial drawings for Nisha sail plan

I searched on Erycina (such a lovely name!) online, and found this book, which I ordered on Amazon.  I’m going to do a bit of research while I wait for the kit to develop!  Thanks so much, Chris!

-Erik

59A49121-A1BA-4C4F-AED4-95A90DBBDE4C.jpeg

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

"And to (almost) cap it all, I now have to pay import duty for my materials I get from the EU, which seems very arbitrary (with Germany being the absolute worst culprit)"

And buying the kit in France, I also would have to pay import duties & probably a fee to UPS to pay them for their collecting the import duties.

That's what happened when I bought a book on Amazon that was shipped to  me from the UK.

Richard

Edited on Saturday, 21 August 2021 at 18:38 (GMT + 2) à Paris, France;
   sent later.

Richard

Current build :  Victory cross section / DeAgostini, Lady Eleanor  Vanguard Models 

Other builds :   N scale computer controlled model railroad

So, Brexit is working well it seems…😞

Regards,

Glenn

25 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

So, Brexit is working well it seems…😞

It is so arbitrary, it's more like an extortion racket. When my materials are shipped in from Germany, sometimes I have to pay import duty, but other times I don't, and sometimes, the shipper will hold my shipment hostage until I pay their duties!

Yet Italy, where my standard blocks, deadeyes, dowel and photo etch originates never charge any import duty (ned to double check that)! So much for the EU being one block!

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg