3 hours ago, Gregory said:

The acetate is very nice

2 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Not many, if any kit providers include one stand let alone two.

I agree. I wasn't sure about the acetate stand for Speedy, but I've been looking at display options and may decide to mount her on a mirror to show off the copper bottom. The clear stand is ideal for this. Here's a test shot I took on a mirrored table:

IMG_4153_edited-1.thumb.JPG.52872e4355dd5e347826d7e8759c6f65.JPG

The brass nameplate looks particularly good on the acetate.

Edited by DelF

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

That looks fantastic, Derek!

I got the idea of using a clear material for the stand when looking through the AOTS book of Alert. There's a picture showing a contemporary model on a clear stand and I thought that would be cool if I could do the same, as I don't think any other mainstream kits do this. They are also a lot less intrusive, as the whole hull can still be seen. The MDF cradle is a throwaway item, to be discarded once the model is complete.

Another little note on why stands/cradles are so important to be included (in my opinion), is that they give the model the correct stance/angle for marking the waterline. Out of the 9 kits I have thus far developed (including the two I am doing now), only one, the Sphinx has the waterline more or less parallel to the keel. The other 8 do not. Each cradle needs to be designed with each unique angle in mind - off the shelf turned columns just wouldn't do.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Once again Chris,  my comments  were not questioning the quality of your work.

I just found the MDF cradle to look rather incongruous in the context of the box art..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I've always mounted my models with brass pedestals on a walnut base. I'll give the acetate a try for Flirt, it is nice looking.  However I'll have to glue it in so my grandson doesn't think this is the model, "when can I play with one that has guns?" he gets to play with. 😄

Good to know about the waterline, I hadn't thought about that.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

On 7/31/2021 at 1:14 AM, chris watton said:

I could get plans and manual printed right now, but prefer to wait until the model is complete

Will this model be fully rigged?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Yes, Sphinx is rigged - all standing rigging, and running rigging has all yard associated rig, tie, jeers, lifts and braces. Other rig included sheets, clew's and tacks if you want to go that far.

For future reference, I have never designed a period ship kit that does not include rigging. For Sphinx, there are 8 50x70cm plan sheets dedicated to masts and rig, plus quite a few pages in the manual showing mast and yard assembly.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

11 minutes ago, James H said:

Yes, fully masted and rigged as per other VM kits.

I'm fresh back from hols only 2hrs ago and already working on the prototype again.

hope you had a nice holinobs

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I always make a clear stand for all my models, the glass shelves help too....1888456804_shipstands.thumb.jpg.487d17507c25e39141995e8c96b1b8e4.jpg will have one when finished..

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

8 minutes ago, James H said:

In a week, and the 35 available Sphinx for pre-order are now down to EIGHT LEFT!!!  😁

Yeah that is incredible.  It is one of the best looking frigates on the market to date, In my opinion anyway. 

Chris, Is your house big enough for the production of all this stuff?  I only make rope and I feels like I've invaded most of my apparent 😆.  

12 minutes ago, BenD said:

Chris, Is your house big enough for the production of all this stuff?  I only make rope and I feels like I've invaded most of my apparent 😆.  

No, it's a nightmare right now, I only have the smallest of surfaces left to do work on my two new developments, a little corner of the dining room table!  Luckily, the two I am working on are quite small, as you can see in these pics of Nisha, the smallest!

We have had a quote from some builders to convert our large double garage into a proper unit. Supposed to start this next month, but knowing builders, they probably won't show up...

I have ordered more materials (pear sheet) to make a new batch of kits in October/November time

DSC_8706.jpg

DSC_8707.jpg

DSC_8708.jpg

DSC_8710.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

This is sooooo tempting me especially at the scale it is.    I guess I'll have to spend some serious time looking at the budget.  I'd love to have an English ship in the display area.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

This is sooooo tempting me especially at the scale it is.    I guess I'll have to spend some serious time looking at the budget.

Go for it, Mark...we can't take it with us!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

to many projects on the go, But so very Very tempted

like to tale the opportunity to say what a great looking kit and thank you @chris watton, and so very well presented by @James H

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Just downloaded and skim-read the manual :omg:

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat