8 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Bristol…….

Sorry too cryptic for me. Are you asking if Bristol is in the West Country?

Edited by Craigie65

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

9 hours ago, Thukydides said:

Are you still planning on doing a larger brig before you do the big one?

I will do one (or two) after the big one, I figured people may sigh if I do yet another brig so soon.

Big clue for next (well, first) very large kit, armament is - 26 x 24 Pounder main battery, 18 x 42 Pounder carronades and 2 x Long 12 Pounder chase guns. This can only mean a super frigate!

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

1 hour ago, Jasseji said:

Glenn meant HMS Bristol ;) 

Ah as it was straight after my post I thought it related to that, hence my confusion

mind you I am easily confused these days

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

6 hours ago, chris watton said:

Big clue for next (well, first) very large kit, armament is - 26 x 24 Pounder main battery, 18 x 42 Pounder carronades and 2 x Long 12 Pounder chase guns. This can only mean a super frigate!

HMS Indefatigable! 

7 hours ago, chris watton said:

It was only ever commissioned as a razee :)

I understand she was built and launched as a two-decker but razeed almost as soon as she hit the water, and just before she was commissioned. Fashions and military requirements change. In any event, she will make a fine model.

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

1 hour ago, AJohnson said:

In 1/64 scale? 😲

Of course!

In the meantime, I am working on my next little kit (or maybe 2, don't know yet, may save one for later...)

I have attached a couple of pics of the pre-prototype builds. I show them so you can see the amount I take off when sanding the bulkheads (both just took me just a little over 30 minutes with an improvised sanding stick). I notice on some build logs that some leave way too much un sanded/unbevelled bulkhead edges at the bow and (especially) at the stern, and then wonder why certain parts do not fit as well as they should, almost as if they are too afraid of sanding too much off.

If you use a long-ish sanding stick (in my case, just a scrap length of 0.8mm ply with sandpaper wrapped around it), there is little chance of digging into any one bulkhead, as you are sanding across 3, 4 or 5 at a time. I usually sand the whole lot for these small hulls, but for much larger ones, I just make sure bow and stern are properly sanded to follow the run of the planks, with much lighter sanding at the middle section of the hull.

SJ & R 1.jpg

SJ & R 2.jpg

logo.jpg

Are those the Erycina and Nisha or some new models yet to come?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

When do you expect that you announce those or are you going to keep us hanging in suspense? 😜

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

5 minutes ago, BobG said:

When do you expect that you announce those or are you going to keep us hanging in suspense? 😜

The little one is Saucy Jack, a Barking Well Smack, 1836. This will be the next release, probably the tail end of January. I have already done all plans, and the photo etched sheets will be produced in the next couple of weeks.

The larger one is Ranger, a Barking fish carrier, 1864, and designed to be as fast as possible to get the fish to market once picked up from the fishing fleets. I may wait a while to release this, don't know yet - but I do know the development for the next big kit release will take most of  2022. With that in mind, I may save Ranger for April/May.

logo.jpg

I bought a MSLA 3D Printer last week, as I am trying to do as much in house as I can. It is only a little printer to practise on, with a view to get a larger one if this works out.

Here are a couple of pics of my first results, Duchess of Kingston figureheads, and Nelson figures in 48th and 96th scale. Sorry about pic quality, but all my photographic equipment is stowed away at the moment..

Nelson 48 and 96 scale.jpg

Duchess figurehead 3d printed in house.jpg

logo.jpg

they look brilliant

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

23 minutes ago, chris watton said:

I bought a MSLA 3D Printer last week, as I am trying to do as much in house as I can. It is only a little printer to practise on, with a view to get a larger one if this works out.

Here are a couple of pics of my first results, Duchess of Kingston figureheads, and Nelson figures in 48th and 96th scale. Sorry about pic quality, but all my photographic equipment is stowed away at the moment..

Nelson 48 and 96 scale.jpg

Duchess figurehead 3d printed in house.jpg

Make sure to calibrate the resin each time you open a new bottle - RERF as a General test for each New resin type and then each bottle it is suggested to run the validation matrix to fine tune exposure. What printer did you get? I got an Anycubic Mono X but i only use the water washable resin due to IPA smell

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

36 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

Make sure to calibrate the resin each time you open a new bottle - RERF as a General test for each New resin type and then each bottle it is suggested to run the validation matrix to fine tune exposure. What printer did you get? I got an Anycubic Mono X but i only use the water washable resin due to IPA smell

Cheers :)

I got an 'ELEGOO Saturn' along with the wash and cure machine.

logo.jpg

4 hours ago, chris watton said:

Cheers :)

I got an 'ELEGOO Saturn' along with the wash and cure machine.

I use elegoo water washable resin. 

Just make sure to angle the models, i Went through 10 prints before i got to Proper setting. 

Jacek

Nothing like new toys.... err.... tools.  The results look good from here.   I don't blame you for wanting to move as much as you can in-house.  Contract costs for piece-work is heading out of this world.  And you then become your own quality control also.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I now know about angling the parts, a delicate balance, as I try to use as few supports as I can get away with.

This is my very first attempt for the Sphinx stern casting, angled and with all supports at the rear, which came off easily.

Plenty of flex in the material, and as it is printed directly from the master file, little to no shrinkage - a world away from white metal.

Sphinx stern decoration.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

On 11/20/2021 at 10:21 PM, chris watton said:

I now know about angling the parts, a delicate balance, as I try to use as few supports as I can get away with.

This is my very first attempt for the Sphinx stern casting, angled and with all supports at the rear, which came off easily.

Plenty of flex in the material, and as it is printed directly from the master file, little to no shrinkage - a world away from white metal.

Sphinx stern decoration.jpg

That seems to Look even better than the cast one, at least the breasts arent that weirdly pronounced :)

Jacek

Small update - Things are moving slower than I would like. This is mainly due to shipping delays with my new laser machine (and other items), which has been more than a little frustrating. 

However, it is being delivered tomorrow, at long last, 15 weeks after placing the order!

Nisha and Erycina should be due for release next Friday (3rd December). I am not putting these on pre order due to the problems I had with Sphinx, so I am not putting them on until I have absolutely everything here and they're ready to be boxed. I do have all of PE sets here, though, and the manual and plans are due Wednesday.

One item I will need to put on pre order is the sail sets. The company that produces these for me had to shut down for 14 days, due to a Covid outbreak at their place, but I am hoping to have these with me in the next 2-3 weeks. This is equally annoying for me, as the sail sets have all been paid for, but cannot be helped.

I do now have Nelson figures in 48th and 96th scale in stock. These are 3-d printed 'In-House'. Most (but not all) future castings like figureheads and stern decoration will also be 3-d printed in house. I have attached some pics of some sample parts I sent to Jim. There are figureheads for Duchess, Sphinx and Bristol, and the sterns are Sphinx and Duchess.

Here is the link to the Nelson figures, there are 4 scale choices now:

Figure – Lord Nelson 1:48, 1:64,1:72, and 1:96 scales – VANGUARD MODELS

DSC_9590.jpg

DSC_9591.jpg

DSC_9592.jpg

logo.jpg