Another little update.

Since the beginning of 28th September until last week, we had builders here to convert our garage into a proper unit, split into two rooms, one room for the laser cutting and raw materials, and another for packing (and gym...). They did quote 2 weeks, but it was over 5 weeks. We have a new roof, floor levelled and walls skinned in OSB boards, including the partition.

All new shelving arrived yesterday, so this week we are fitting the rooms out. Next Monday my new laser machine arrives, so I will be able to develop much larger kits (Sphinx is the largest I could go with my current machine, unless I split the keel, and I prefer not to do that if at all possible)

I now have all Vanguard Models kits in stock, after a nightmare couple of months chasing suppliers up with my orders (notably, photo etched brass). As I have mentioned, because of the headaches this has caused me lately, my next three kits are having the photo etched sheets produced locally here in the UK. They cost more, but then again, all photo etch  suppliers are increasing prices anyway, due to shortages of raw materials.

Right now, I am laser cutting the Nisha and Erycina production parts. Today I received the 3-d printed castings for the kits, as well as sample sail sets for each. The production versions are being made now, so will hopefully be ready in time for the kit releases.

I have read all the build logs, most notably the Sphinx logs. When designing/developing Sphinx, my design philosophy for this kit (aside from wanting to develop kits that I would want to buy) was to make the build as painless as possible for builders who were used to kits like Fly, Vanguard, Duchess etc.. So intermediate modellers.

I wanted to include cut parts that are never really included in older kits, where these parts are either left off altogether, or the modeller needs to make them from strips of wood or blocks of wood. All they then need is final finishing and, in some cases, like the quarter gallery, all three edges require shaping. But for the most part, if the parts are not painted, the top and bottom edges need slight filing/sanding to remove the char, which, being laser cut, I can do nothing about. Sphinx will still take a while to build, but a lot of that time should be cleaning up pre cut parts, and not making them from scratch.

In summary,  wooden model kits are not designed to fall together when you shake the box (as many allude to Tamiya), but each part still needs to be worked on and test fitted multiple times, and maybe adjusted, before fitting. Sphinx takes 8 hours to produce each kit.

I have said before, if I designed each kit like most other mainstream manufacturers, I could honestly produce a dozen or so new kits per year, as there's really nothing to them. But where is the fun/challenge in that?

When we get time, we will add a section on my website, grading each kit according to the experience required to build each kit.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Great Idea Chris 👍

Mind you, i suppose the grading is subjective. Having been following most (if not all) the Sphinx builds, a lot of people are saying that with a little patience it's buildable by all skill levels. That's a testament to your design skills. 

Wishing you the best of luck with this new phase.

RB

Edited by RockinBudgie

1 minute ago, RockinBudgie said:

Great Idea Chris 👍

Mind you, i suppose the grading is subjective. Having been following most (if not all) the Sphinx builds, a lot of people are saying that with a little patience it's buildable by all skill levels. That's a testament to your design skills. 

Wishing the best of luck 

RB

I second that, this Kit is designed in such a Superb way, that even on a low skill level and with little patience one can achieve a passable result which might be okay for some builders (and especially until now i havent encountered any real showstoppers which might result in this kit not getting finished)

Of course, the more skill and patience you bring, the better the end result but in the end it's up to the builder what level of quality they want to achieve and if some just want to "slap it together" just to have a personal feeling of achievement, then that was perhaps not your intention, but i wouldnt berate anyone for that 

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

Sounds promising and is also excellent news for us builders, Chris.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

9 hours ago, chris watton said:

Since the beginning of 28th September until last week, we had builders here to convert our garage into a proper unit, split into two rooms, one room for the laser cutting and raw materials, and another for packing (and gym...)

Be sure and give us a photo tour when you are all set up.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Still working on new work unit (ex garage), still needs proper wiring for sockets and lights, and insulated doors. Both people are coming tomorrow to size up and give quotes - and, all being well, my new laser arrives on Friday!

In the meantime, me and Jim have been busy with Erycina and Nisha, the next two kits in the range. Jim just sent me these pics, the hulls for both are now fully complete, and masts, rig and sails won't take too long. I will have both of these available to buy before Christmas. The PE is being produced now, here in the UK, and I have a little more to do on manuals, which again, are printed here.

I think Jim has done a fantastic job on these. I will eventually finish my Erycina prototype and keep it for my own display...

Erycina has the green upper bulwarks, and Nisha has black.

Still laser cutting production sets for both as I type!

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

logo.jpg

Rock on, Chris.  Everything I've seen or heard that comes out of your shop looks great.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

They do look good !

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

39 minutes ago, Malcolm Greig said:

Wow, these two look fantastic, I think they will be popular. Lines, colours all look very attractive.

Thank you!

I am hoping to have full colour printed boxes for these new smaller kits (350x200x50mm) made in time for release. But as these will be printed in he EU, nothing is certain, so my contingency plan is to have a few box labels made, and fit the kits in the Fifie and Zulu box for the first batch.

Have said before, I would love to have full colour printed box tops for all kits, but as my products are relatively low volume, the prices in the UK for printed boxes is comical, adding about 25-30% of the overall kit cost!

logo.jpg

3 hours ago, chris watton said:

Have said before, I would love to have full colour printed box tops for all kits, but as my products are relatively low volume, the prices in the UK for printed boxes is comical, adding about 25-30% of the overall kit cost!

Speaking personally though the boxes do look nice, I would much rather the kits were cheaper than they had a fancy box. At the end of the day when the kit is build, the box will just end up in the garbage. That being said I can understand your dilemma wanting every part of the product you make to look like it is made with care.

Nice, Nice, Nice when can I buy one?

Will

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

3 hours ago, chris watton said:

Cheers! Nisha and Erycina are kits 8&9, with 10 coming not too long after. 11 or 12 will be a very large one for next year - too large for laser engraved decks, so more 'Old School'..

Oh...now you're teasing us! Any hints about what's to come?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I think another one or two small kits, then a very big development, from the sublime to ridiculous....

I haven't even started the designs for the next big kit, but have laid quite a lot of groundwork for it, and it is something I very much look forward to starting, as it was always on my first list of subjects I want to do, and one of the first set of plans I bought back in 2019.

For now, all laser cut parts for Nisha and Erycina have been done, and box art almost complete. I just have Erycina manual to complete - I say 'Just', it's still a lot of work - but I anticipate all work being completed in the next three days.

DSC_9581.jpg

logo.jpg

45 minutes ago, chris watton said:

HMS Fluffy!

i am soooo tempted now to paint my Sphinx in a Hello-Kitty theme :D

Edited by Jasseji

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

https://vigilanceofbrixham.co.uk

I have seen her a few times when on holiday in the West Country, but have only just realised it might be the same type as your lovely Erycina

Edited by Craigie65

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models