2 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

At least there is no VAT premium 

In California it's called the "CAT" (California Added Tax).😂...if the kit wood has too much residual resin, it could combust in UPS trucks.

Ron

PS I'm "From" California, so I know the ropes.

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

FYI: For my Sphynx-interested, kit-watching colleagues, here is a rendition the HMS Camilla. The artist is John Thomas Serres, (Mad) King George III's official Maritime Painter.

Studying this painting, there are neither quarterdeck nor foc'sle built-up bulwarks apparent (and the absence of related weaponry); also, the quarter galleries are suspect since I believe Chris' reference drawings would indicate his design to be more accurate.

Ron

CamillaPainting.jpg

Ron

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

1 hour ago, hollowneck said:

I am also considering building-up the bulwarks and adding carronades as Camilla's later life had her very active post British/American war and well into the French Revolutionary era. I may copper her, however not much of this addition will be seen since I also will place her in a diorama with set sails.

I hope you will make a build log, Ron, I'd love to see your build with the changes that you're considering and the construction of the diorama. Do you have any photos of your builds and dioramas available anywhere?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

4 minutes ago, BobG said:

I hope you will make a build log, Ron, I'd love to see your build with the changes that you're considering and the construction of the diorama. Do you have any photos of your builds and dioramas available anywhere?

Bob, I have a large number of photos in the MSW Kit galleries; search on my handle/avatar or enter "HMS Swan" or "LeTigre." Also, the 2021 MSW  Calendar had my LeTigre privateer pictured for March.

I have no plans at this time to do a full-on Build Log (per se) of HMS Camilla, however, I am thinking about showing how I'll make sails (with added sail rigging) and how I create my "open water" dioramas. By background, I am a photographer and writer and in tackling a detailed Build Log it would easily add another several months onto my project: I like to keep all my models to under a year in the workshop.

Thanks for your interest and encouragement.

Ron

Ron

13 minutes ago, hollowneck said:

I am thinking about showing how I'll make sails (with added sail rigging) and how I create my "open water" dioramas. 

Please do! I'm very interested in both.

I just looked at the photos of your LeTigre and HMS Swan dioramas and they are incredible! The dioramas add action to the model and really brings the ship to life. WOW!! Modifying the Sphinx into the HMS Camilla and placing it into a diorama will be amazing! I sure Chris will be thrilled with it too!

Here are links to hollowneck's  fantastic dioramas in the MSW Gallery:

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Maybe a new topic, not really Vanguard related.  

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

OK, Sphinx Revision 2 manual all done, and will be sent off to printers, along with new box label.

The revised manual can be found using the download link at the bottom of the page here:

HMS Sphinx – 1775 – VANGUARD MODELS

Have attached the new box label, perhaps I will now stop getting enquiries asking if the kit has masts and rig.

SphinxBox Art 690x300.jpg

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Are you sending out new box tops?🤣😅😂🤣🤣

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 4 weeks later...

Little update:

I am expecting the Sphinx photo etched sheets to be delivered next week. These are all I am waiting for, as the rest of the kit contents have already been done and boxed. Sphinx is now available to pre-order. This is the Revision 2 version, with the thicker manual and revised parts list.

Right now, all laser production is stopped for two to three weeks (but all kit laser cut sheets have been done and all is in stock), as our large garage is being converted into a proper unit to house  two laser machines and a separate area for materials and packing. I take delivery of my larger second laser machine at the end of next month. This larger machine will allow me develop much larger kits and cut thicker materials faster. The garage conversion and new machine are massive investments for me, but I think ultimately worth it.

I am hoping to have the small fishing vessels, Nisha and Erycina out before December. These will have optional sail sets. Tomorrow, I take delivery of the waterslide decals for both fishing boat kits, these include the vessel name and registration number. These are what I am working on now.

logo.jpg

So glad you found someone to do the garage conversion for you

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Big steps, I’m happy you’re all in on your now full time job.  We are all the better for it. I’m sure the fishing models will make nice Christmas gifts.  The post may refuse to deliver much larger and heavier models 😂🤣

Will first run buyers need the revised manual or is it mostly edits?

Regards,

Glenn

Manual is the same, it just has the parts list corrected and extra pics for the masts and yards, which are fully detailed in the plans. One of the reasons for the price increase is the higher cost of the Rev 2 manual, these are not cheap...

logo.jpg

3 minutes ago, chris watton said:

Manual is the same, it just has the parts list corrected and extra pics for the masts and yards, which are fully detailed in the plans. One of the reasons for the price increase is the higher cost of the Rev 2 manual, these are not cheap...

but the manual will always be available online, right ?

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

I hope all goes well and your success keeps growing, Chris.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just had my decals arrive for Nisha and Erycina.

I know a few asked about the vessel registration numbers from my previous kits, so I contacted Eduard and they produced me these for the new kits.

Very small, but hopefully, they will make a difference to the finished models.

Nisha Erycina Decals.jpg

logo.jpg

5 hours ago, chris watton said:

Very small, but hopefully, they will make a difference to the finished models.

It's the fine details that really make a model special, Chris. These will be great additions to these kits!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

• 4 weeks later...

Since none has been done yet, as a "Joe Builder", I'm posting a short review of this kit in the review area.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Just a quick update, with a more substantial one in the next two weeks.

I have just received all of my Sphinx photo etched sheets, so the kit is finally back in stock. I ordered more than usual, and wasn't sure if the PE company got the message in time, but it is all now here.

I was meant to have this mid-September, but for some unfathomable reason, the term 'Repeat order of at least 50 sets each' translated into '20 sheets of one set of the 5 required'!

So from mid-September till now has been hell for me!

Because of this balls up, for my next two kits, I am having the PE sheets produced here in the UK, and not in the EU.

I will do a nice update in the next two weeks...

logo.jpg

Jim gave me a couple of pics of the new kit production prototype models, Erycina and Nisha.

I am aiming to have these released before Christmas. However, this all depends on whether the boxes will be delivered on time. I am having these made in the Czech Republic, so the box tops are full colour printed.

Nisha, the small Brixham Mumble Bee will have a 4 pre made sail option and Erycina, the Plymouth ketch, will have 5.

I live the lines of Erycina so much that my pre-prototype hull now sits on out mantlepiece!  (Nisha has the white lower rail and black upper bulwarks, and Erycina has the green, with both awaiting their lower hulls painted)

msw1.jpg

msw2.jpg

logo.jpg

Chris, maybe I’ve not paid attention to this forum closely enough.  Are these Erycina and Nisha new Vanguard kits, or are they someone else’s that you will be selling?  Do you have more details about these two ships and the kits?

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Try here Matt.

And here.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

36 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Chris, maybe I’ve not paid attention to this forum closely enough.  Are these Erycina and Nisha new Vanguard kits, or are they someone else’s that you will be selling?  Do you have more details about these two ships and the kits?

This thread is purely for my range of products, so yes, they are Vanguard Models kits.

A lot more details will be revealed over the next 3-4 weeks.

A while ago, a customer on here asked about flags, saying they would prefer flags over the free coaster.

The problem with this is that I do not charge for the coasters in the kits (usually put them in for the first batch of new kits), as I produce them myself.

I cannot produce the flags. I have been looking for a supplier of quality flags for one of my future developments, and the best pricing would add £25-30 per kit for the quality I would want for each set. This is why you get a free coaster and not free flags. I also would not pay for the flags, they are simply too much, and add too much to kit price. A coaster does not so much. :)

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

6 hours ago, chris watton said:

Jim gave me a couple of pics of the new kit production prototype models, Erycina and Nisha.

Are there any other significant differences between the Erycina and the Nisha other than the overall size?

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

On 10/30/2021 at 6:27 PM, BobG said:

Are there any other significant differences between the Erycina and the Nisha other than the overall size?

Hull shape (Erycina was a thoroughbred cutter when built in the latter half of the 19th Century - Nisha is early 20th Century with a broader beam aft), rig, deck fittings (apart from steam winch, tow post and chain pipe). They both are quite different and designed from their own particular lines - if you're thinking one is just a scaled up (or down) version of the other. :) 

I try my best to make each new kit bespoke, with their own laser cut parts. Some of the parts look similar simply because they both had more or less the same job - but all of Erycina's laser cut parts, be it the  winch posts or helmsman grating under the tiller arm would look a little silly on Nisha.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg