UPS parcel expected Tuesday. Whoopee!

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

51 minutes ago, chris watton said:

It is so arbitrary, it's more like an extortion racket. When my materials are shipped in from Germany, sometimes I have to pay import duty, but other times I don't, and sometimes, the shipper will hold my shipment hostage until I pay their duties!

Yet Italy, where my standard blocks, deadeyes, dowel and photo etch originates never charge any import duty (ned to double check that)! So much for the EU being one block!

Yes, Germany seems to punish UK trade a lot, i had to Pay almost 8EURO fees for the small package you sent me.... 

The item value in the Pack was some 40pounds.... 

Aand the package needed 6weeks to get to me

It starts to Look like it would be cheaper and faster if i'd come and Pick it up.... 

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

3 hours ago, chris watton said:

She was built as a cutter (1882), hence the lovely lines.

I'm really excited about these models. The Pen Duick I'm building is a gaff rigged cutter and I could use some help in seeing how the gaff sail and the topsail are rigged on these cutters. The Artesania Latina plans are practically useless. I look forward to seeing your plans when you have them available.

2 hours ago, EKE said:

I searched on Erycina (such a lovely name!) online, and found this book, which I ordered on Amazon.

Great find, Erik. I just ordered it also. I hope it will help me with rigging the Pen Duick.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, Blue Ensign said:

Erik, if you can get hold of Sailing Trawlers by Edgar J. March there are details of her scantlings and rigging sizes, together with four pages of plans.

B.E.

Just ordered a copy!  Thanks!

-EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Currently building:  Brig Sloop HMS Flirt - Vanguard Models

Completed"Lady Isabella" Scottish Fishing Zulu - Vanguard Models

3 minutes ago, EKE said:

Just ordered a copy!  Thanks!

-EKE

Let me know how helpful that book is when you get it, Erik.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

5 hours ago, Nirvana said:

So tempting......

Chris, you are evil 😉😀

Have you given in yet?  Resistance is futile.  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

35 minutes ago, chris watton said:

This book is the Bible of English fishing vessels! I ordered mine from an online second hand bookstore, based in California of all places!

I'm seeing two similar titles of  books by Edgar J. March: Sailing Trawlers published January 1, 1953 and Sailing Trawlers: The Story of Deep Sea Fishing With Longline and Trawl published June 1, 1981.

Is the 1953 book the one you are referring to, Chris?

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

6 minutes ago, BobG said:

I'm seeing two similar titles of  books by Edgar J. March: Sailing Trawlers published January 1, 1953 and Sailing Trawlers: The Story of Deep Sea Fishing With Longline and Trawl published June 1, 1981.

Just checked, it is the original 1953 copy, it even smells of 1953!

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

7 minutes ago, BobG said:

Perhaps the 1981 title is a reprint?

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

As a slower builder I est 1000 hrs for the Sphinx for me. That works out to about 65 p an hour of modelling enjoyment. That's now I rationalise cost. Shipping costs to the bottom of the world, that does hurt!!

Fishing boats look very tempting.  

Happy modelling

regards Malcolm 

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

1 hour ago, glennard2523 said:

Looks like I'm going nowhere on Tuesday.

You'll have it built by Thursday! 😉

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

1 hour ago, EKE said:

Perhaps the 1981 title is a reprint?

I was wondering about that but I don't know how to tell.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

9 minutes ago, BobG said:

I was wondering about that but I don't know how to tell.

I just checked my order, and it seems the one I bought is the 1981 “reprint” with the longer title.  When it comes, we can share notes and compare.

-E

Edited by EKE

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

9 hours ago, EKE said:

I just checked my order, and it seems the one I bought is the 1981 “reprint” with the longer title.  When it comes, we can share notes and compare.

-E

The copy I have is  the third impression published in 1981, it only has 'Sailing Trawlers' on the spine, but the inside Title page includes the sub title The story of Deep-sea fishing with long line and trawl.

My copy was published in Great Britain for David &Charles (Publishers) Ltd, and is published in the USA by David & Charles Inc.

It is a 384 page book, and I don't think you need worry whether it is some sort of abridged version, it contains all the plans and rigging tables.

It is in exactly the same layout as the companion volume Sailing drifters of which I have the original 1952 version. This volume is of great interest to those building the Fifie and Zulu models, and I used it extensively in my builds.

B.E.

Hand, Reef and Steer by Tom Cunliffe

Being relatively new to model boat and ship building I'm only now realising that Tom Cunliffe has made such a great contribution to sailing. Here he is, in 2010,  with the first episode of 6 on the 'Boats that built Britain' series, The Reaper ....

Richard

B.E.,

"...great value to the modeller. It informs both scale and use of the many fittings, as well as being of general interest."

It certainly does. I now have a much better appreciation of the full sized Reaper and the models based on it.

Also, I'm slowly working my way through the other 6 episodes ....'Episode 2 - Pts 1 & 2 Phoenix' explains square riggers in a very practical fashion ... I'm learning so much.

Richard

Thanks for posting the video, Richard.  Excellent!  I’ve bookmarked the whole series on YouTube.

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Rick,

IMHO Tom Cunliffe’s Book, Hand Reef and Steer is a must read for anyone building a model of a small sailing craft.  As an experienced sailor of traditionally rigged boats, he not only explains how each sail is rigged but how, all with a light touch of dry humor.  The book’s focus is gaff rigged craft so would apply to anyone building a pilot cutter or sailing trawler.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

That video was so good.  It really gives you great insight into what the boats were like, and what it must have been like to be at sea in one of them.  I also learned a lot about the rigging details…what I got right and what I got wrong on my Zulu.  

I grabbed a few screenshots as I was watching:

0A2CCDB4-4E07-42A6-8FFB-FD9DB9239A9E.jpeg

21302789-55AE-40D2-8185-59CF9D88B5B4.jpeg

62B345F3-EC4F-4898-B9FD-BFAB144C4BF2.jpeg

75AB3D11-934A-4B0E-8B71-ACBA6C81CFB0.jpeg

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Erik,

I think that because Tom is such a likeable character and knowledgable presenter it all helps make his content that bit special.

As for having to go to sea in a Fifie (or similar) in bad weather to survive, well it sends a shiver down my spine. But needs must.

Richard

Edited by Rik Thistle
Added link to Tom's website.

You all may have hijacked Chris’ product news log. Maybe a new thread on modeling sails on small craft…?

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

24 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

You all may have hijacked Chris’ product news log. Maybe a new thread on modeling sails on small craft…?

I know the software used here is 3rd party but a "Fork" function would be really helpful in these kinds of situations. Maybe one of the admins could request it be added.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

OK, all Sphinx kits are now gone until next month, of which I am working on now, laser cutting. Hats off to my wife, Chantelle, who managed to pack up 51 kits from Friday to Sunday - damn that was a lot of foam and bubble wrap!

Today, I decided to remove the original version of the Alert kit from stock, and will scrap the remaining stock, including those white metal fittings. I did not like the fact that these early kits are not a reflection of the quality I want in my kits, so rather take the hit than offer them for sale. So Alert Version 1 is gone for good.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Chris you might want to check your site. The Alert is showing as $0.00