Where were you when I built four boats for Vanguard, it was the 2nd least favorite thing on that model, a very distant second to copper plating it. 😂🤣

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I just ordered a 22' boat from Vanguard for my HMS Camilla build. $36 USD inc. shipping (standard post from the U.K.)

This will now replace the previous resin hull one from Caldercraft I was planning on using (I showed this one as a temporary placeholder on my HMS Sphinx Build Log). 

I won't be needing it for a few weeks, but I'll wager that Chris will get it shipped out before I hit the submit reply button here...😆

I anticipate this added clinker hull boat - once pimped-out so it looks like wood - will be the cherry on top once I'm done with rigging and sails.

Ron

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Another tiny update. I now have a 'crates and barrels' pack available, which should compliment any of the fisher's decks:

Barrels and crates (assorted) – VANGUARD MODELS

On a separate note, I took advantage of the capabilities of my 3-d printers, and produced 2 brand new 3-d files for Indy 24 pounder and 12 pounder long guns (24 pounder is Armstrong, and 12 is Blomefield). The bores/chambers are now scale depth! One thing I didn't anticipate is the extra time cleaning out the excess resin in the bore. I have to use these Tamiya special cotton buds, and ram them home to squeeze out all excess resin on every single barrel! Still, I think scale depth is cool, so don't mind so much.

Finally, new (laser cut wood) boats incoming, one imminent is the 24 foot cutter, the workhorse of the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars, followed, perhaps, by a 36 foot Admirals barge.

A little later, I will have available the following (laser cut wood and PE) mid- 18th Century boats:

22 foot Skiff

14 Foot Yawl

19 foot Longboat

20 foot Pinnace

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

The 12ft cutter I ordered on Friday arrived today (Tuesday) and is a beautifully crafted, delicate model. Like Glenn (glbarlow) says above it takes away the need to make a difficult extra on a larger model and I was bracing myself to scratch build a clinker hull out of thin card. I will still have to make the insides and the oars but that is a minor issue compared to the hull. Well done Chris for providing these extras. 

George

George Bandurek

Near the coast in Sussex, England

Current build: HMS Whiting (Caldercraft Ballahoo with enhancements)

Previous builds: Cutter Sherbourne (Caldercraft) and many non-ship models

I just had a very large box arrive from Spain, containing sail sets.

Included in this parcel are sail sets for Alert. The company that produces them is the same that makes the sets for Occre, Amati and other mainstream manufacturers.

These are ready for sale (or sail..) now:

HMS Alert pre-made/stitched sails – VANGUARD MODELS

I have sail sets for all kits that already have optional sail sets, and will put those on in due time. However, I will still be buying the higher quality, but much pricier sail sets for the fishing boats, but now, there will be a choice in costs.

logo.jpg

They look great!  Those would work well for any 1:64 cutter..    

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

On 1/10/2022 at 8:59 PM, chris watton said:

Another tiny update. I now have a 'crates and barrels' pack available, which should compliment any of the fisher's decks:

Barrels and crates (assorted) – VANGUARD MODELS

On a separate note, I took advantage of the capabilities of my 3-d printers, and produced 2 brand new 3-d files for Indy 24 pounder and 12 pounder long guns (24 pounder is Armstrong, and 12 is Blomefield). The bores/chambers are now scale depth! One thing I didn't anticipate is the extra time cleaning out the excess resin in the bore. I have to use these Tamiya special cotton buds, and ram them home to squeeze out all excess resin on every single barrel! Still, I think scale depth is cool, so don't mind so much.

Finally, new (laser cut wood) boats incoming, one imminent is the 24 foot cutter, the workhorse of the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars, followed, perhaps, by a 36 foot Admirals barge.

A little later, I will have available the following (laser cut wood and PE) mid- 18th Century boats:

22 foot Skiff

14 Foot Yawl

19 foot Longboat

20 foot Pinnace

Chris. Any update in putting those boats together what we previously discuused.

Longboat - approx. 94mm long

Pinnace - approx. 96mm long

Yawl - approx. 68mm long

Skiff - approx. 106mm long

Sorry for contacting you so soon so no problem if they are not ready yet. So forgive me for being so too keen. Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

8 minutes ago, DaveBaxt said:

Chris. Any update in putting those boats together what we previously discuused.

Longboat - approx. 94mm long

Pinnace - approx. 96mm long

Yawl - approx. 68mm long

Skiff - approx. 106mm long

Sorry for contacting you so soon so no problem if they are not ready yet. So forgive me for being so too keen. Best regards Dave

These things take time to sort out, you asked only last week.

The PE CAD files are with my Italian producer, these were sent only this week. I then have to wait until the sample parts are done and then arrange for them to be picked up - I have no idea when this will be. Once it does arrive, I will and the laser cut parts and photo etched parts to Jim Hatch, who will build the models and take pictures of the stages.

Then, once I know everything fits as they should, I order the production quantities of the photo etched brass.

For the 24 foot cutter (unrelated to what you asked for), I am trying this with no PE, instead using a material called 'Polybak Laserboard' for the floors, instead of PE.

logo.jpg

14 hours ago, chris watton said:

These things take time to sort out, you asked only last week.

The PE CAD files are with my Italian producer, these were sent only this week. I then have to wait until the sample parts are done and then arrange for them to be picked up - I have no idea when this will be. Once it does arrive, I will and the laser cut parts and photo etched parts to Jim Hatch, who will build the models and take pictures of the stages.

Then, once I know everything fits as they should, I order the production quantities of the photo etched brass.

For the 24 foot cutter (unrelated to what you asked for), I am trying this with no PE, instead using a material called 'Polybak Laserboard' for the floors, instead of PE.

Please accept my apologies  for asking , it is only because you were discussing ships boats and I was then hoping that it was only a matter of paccking the parts together in bags. I now appreciate that there is more to it than that and it will take you a lot more time. I therefore thank you kindly for your time and effort. Best regards Dave

Edited by DaveBaxt

Just now, DaveBaxt said:

Please accept my apologies  for asking , it is only because you were discussing ships boats and I was then hoping that it was only a matter of paccking th together in bags. I now appreciate that there is more to it than that and it will take you a lot more time. I therefore thank you kindly for your time and effort. Best regards Dave

No problem! :)

They are not 'off the shelf' parts, but new products developed from scratch.

logo.jpg

13 minutes ago, chris watton said:

No problem! :)

They are not 'off the shelf' parts, but new products developed from scratch.

I see that now and once again thank you for your effort. Best regards Dave

On a separate note, my first parcels to Krick are being shipped to them this week and next.

For customers in the EU, I cannot send any order below the equivalent of 150 Euro using UPS.

This is because I am required to have an IOSS Number. Now, I did apply for this, and paid the non refundable application fee. However, it is not until you have paid this fee and proceed with the application that you learn you have to submit all of your bank details to a holding company based in Eastern Europe. You then have to trust this holding company to take out the £50 per month membership fee, plus all other fees relating to VAT and other charges.

Call me Mr. Cynical, but I did not trust these people with all of my account details, and allowing them access to my account for the sake of the odd order under this amount. It is very rare I have orders for less than this and the customer wants it shipped UPS. So I have to send standard post for all EU orders under this amount until our government make the rules a lot clearer. Anything over the 150 Euro threshold is fine, though.

This is one big reason I wanted a distributor within the EU..

logo.jpg

3 hours ago, chris watton said:

On a separate note, my first parcels to Krick are being shipped to them this week and next.

For customers in the EU, I cannot send any order below the equivalent of 150 Euro using UPS.

This is because I am required to have an IOSS Number. Now, I did apply for this, and paid the non refundable application fee. However, it is not until you have paid this fee and proceed with the application that you learn you have to submit all of your bank details to a holding company based in Eastern Europe. You then have to trust this holding company to take out the £50 per month membership fee, plus all other fees relating to VAT and other charges.

Call me Mr. Cynical, but I did not trust these people with all of my account details, and allowing them access to my account for the sake of the odd order under this amount. It is very rare I have orders for less than this and the customer wants it shipped UPS. So I have to send standard post for all EU orders under this amount until our government make the rules a lot clearer. Anything over the 150 Euro threshold is fine, though.

This is one big reason I wanted a distributor within the EU..

Hi Chris,

In December I had ordered the Nisha kit and your invoice stated a total amount of GBP 206.00 incl. sails and a lumpsum shipping fee of GBP 29.00.

For this beautiful kit the amount is perfectly ok to me! My credit card was then charged with €246,32 as per daily exchange rate; still fine by me.

Just before the kit arrived I received an SMS from UPS advising on the delivery day and that additional fees would be charged. When I received the parcel I was presented an invoice (issued by UPS, on behalf of the government) which showed an amount of €48,82 (!) in import dues incl. and excl. vat etc., etc. Presumably some fuel surcharge was also added.

This is a rather new way of processing shipments since in the past I had ordered kits directly from Caldercraft, Cornwall Model Boats and -of course-from Vanguard without having been charged these additional costs.
Having said this, it will be interesting for us EU modellers to see the prices the mentioned EU distributor 😉 will come up with...  I for one would prefer to order directly in the UK and let you guys have the turnover and the profit directly (and if I could avoid the additional charges would be even better).

Take care!

Uwe

REMOVED POLITICAL CONTENT - ADMIN

I also have the same problems. I get a lot of my more expensive materials (box, pear etc.) from the EU. I pay the invoice, and the materials are shipped. However, before they are delivered, I get another letter saying I need to pay hundreds more in import duties. Once the extortion money is paid, they will deliver. It works both ways. I try not to add this cost to the kits, but damn each country's tax office like to take their pound of flesh!

I only mentioned the IOSS situation because I wanted to make you aware of the reasons I cannot send any order under 150 Euro via UPS (Only EU, all other countries are fine), as UPS will not let me ship without this number, and I will not pay for this number until governments sort this out, I would be losing money on each sale, giving any small profit to a holding company in Latvia, who must be raking it in.

logo.jpg

23 hours ago, Oboship said:

I fully understand your reasons. That's what I had meant in my post before it was re-edited. Maybe my wording was a bit too straight-forward, though...

I meant to reply yesterday, but forgot!

Please, you have nothing to be sorry for, I didn't mind your question and was happy to explain the processes I need to go through before things are ready. :)

OK, today, I had my Indy stove designs finished for 3-d printing. Here are some pics of the very first sample set. These have quite literally just been done and given a quick clean up after emerging from the resin tank. These were done with each at a different orientation, to see how much I can get away with the least amount of supports as possible.

It comes in four parts, main body (most detail cannot be seen from my pics though), chimney, complete with brackets for baffles and holes for a handle either side (There are brackets to take the spit bar, too), a condenser and drip tray. The kit (Indy) unit will be complemented by PE parts (baffles, handles, chains etc).

Always wanted to do this, as the stove mini kits require so many parts normally

Indy Stove first offs 1.jpg

271535652_893545641338490_3078022947444732399_n.jpg

271578913_7638328466192614_8137232913129620726_n.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

they look nice. what scale are the stoves in the pictures? I suppose that the scale would be just a matter of scaling the CAD data or am I being too simple again?

Best Regards

Will

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

9 hours ago, niwotwill said:

they look nice. what scale are the stoves in the pictures? I suppose that the scale would be just a matter of scaling the CAD data or am I being too simple again?

Best Regards

Will

1:64th scale - but specific to Indy, as the width is dictated by the riding bitt and knee distance, which the stove is placed in between 

I will do a 72nd scale version too. 

logo.jpg

On 1/15/2022 at 4:53 AM, chris watton said:

1:64th scale - but specific to Indy, as the width is dictated by the riding bitt and knee distance, which the stove is placed in between 

I will do a 72nd scale version too. 

How about 1:48?

OK, Brodie Stoves...

I had the original CAD stove drawing amended to address some initial issues (bolts hardly visible, hole for condenser too small etc., just little things), I changed the supports (for when the stoves are being printed) to the smallest possible to reduce any stubs that remain, and I was happy with the final file and print.

I have produced the stoves in 1:64th, 1:72nd and 1:96th:

Brodie Stove – VANGUARD MODELS

I have attached two pictures of my first prototype stoves, showing all three scales, and two pictures of the one I sent James Hatch, which is painted. (and the latest versions are a little different with the changes stated above). As mentioned, each comes in 4 parts, main body, chimney, condenser and drip tray - and the original 64th version has been designed for the Indefatigable kit.

Sizes (heights are without chimneys)

• 1:64 -L-28mm W – 24mm H – 29mm
  • 1:72 – L-25mm W – 22mm H – 25.3mm
  • 1:96 – L-18.75mm W – 17.3mm H – 19mm

3 stove sizes 2.jpg

3 stove sizes 3.jpg

Brodie stove prototype 1.jpg

Brodie stove prototype 2.jpg

logo.jpg

3D printing really is the future, Hard to beat those results. Gorgeous little stoves.

14 hours ago, BenD said:

3D printing really is the future, Hard to beat those results. Gorgeous little stoves.

It can get very messy, though, and can be quite time consuming, especially when a print doesn't come out as it should...

Forgot to mention, I made a change to the Alert kit.

Alert is now in 'V3' guise, and brings it up to the same standards as the rest of the range. Changes that are now standard with V3 kits:

6-Pounder carriages have more detail and the cap squares are now integrated with the laser cut sides, same as Sphinx designs, so no need for the fiddly PE cap squares.

Laser cut gratings now included with 1.5mm pear laser sheet.

Black resin anchors, gone are the white metal versions.

Laser engraved top deck, in line with the rest of the range.

Pre made sail set (6 sails)

Acetate stand now has nameplate engraved.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Which of the Erycina, Nisha, Lady Eleanor and Lady Isabella kits would you say is the best introduction to planking? I have planked a hull before but that was around 15 years ago!

Thanks

Edited by Etcher

Darren

Current Builds:

Berlin Tram by OcCre

Lady Eleanor by Vanguard

4 minutes ago, Etcher said:

Which of the Erycina, Nisha, Lady Eleanor and Lady Isabella kits would you say is the best introduction to planking? I have planked a hull before but that was around 15 years ago!

Thanks

I would say Fifie or Zulu.

logo.jpg