• 2 weeks later...

Received the Sphinx kit today, and it looks amazing!  After years of kit bashing some... sometimes interesting... models, this will be a new experience.  Many thanks!

Current builds: Santa Maria (multi-kit bash), Constellation (AL)

Past builds: Beagle, Thermopylae (restoration), Blue Shadow, Wappen von Hamburg, Half Moon, America, Golden Hind

Ships in bottles (some): Marco Polo, viking ship, Prince

I agree. I struggled with non Chris Watton designed kits. Have now nearly finished 3 C W designed kits. And now I am very much enjoying the hobby, and I guess that's really what's its all about. 

I'm sure there is other excellent kit manufactures out there, I think Syren look magnificent, there rope and blocks sure are. 

I'm very pleased I persevered with the hobby.   

regards

Malcolm

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

• 2 weeks later...

Little update...

I now have another 5 boats available:

Cutters:

20 foot

22 foot

24 foot

25 foot

And a 36 Foot Admirals Barge

Ship’s Boats (various types) – VANGUARD MODELS

Thanks to James Hatch!

Also, I started Indefatigable designs a few weeks ago, and am currently nailing the hull designs. Throughout all this, I have had terrible toothache, culminating in tooth removal yesterday, so still feel like a bear with a sore head...

The pics show the very first assembly of the first parts I cut for Indy, and other pics show the second cut of modified parts. Hull design is now set in stone, so onto deck and bulwark stuff.

I decided to include full deck beams to scale, also scale distance for the upper and poop decks. I am still working on these.

The only parts that are glued on the assembly are the gunport parts.

This is quite large...

48b.jpg

48d.jpg

Indy 3.JPG

Indy 2.JPG

Indy 4.JPG

Indy 8.JPG

Indy 12.JPG

Indy 6.JPG

Indy 7.JPG

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

1 hour ago, chris watton said:

a 36 Foot Admirals Barge

That's a cool little boat all by itself!

1 hour ago, chris watton said:

I have had terrible toothache, culminating in tooth removal yesterday

We're in the same boat, Chris. I had a tooth yanked 2 days ago! My oral surgeon was great...no pain during the extraction and the bone graft. I will be getting an implant to replace the missing tooth. It's a long process and very expensive but worth it to me. Hope you're feeling better.  

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I didn't mention in my last post some details about the Indefatigable development.

Scale is 1:64th, making the hull only a little under 890mm in length (still around 50mm longer than my Amati Vanguard in 72nd).

I am basing the model on how she likely appeared in 1796/97, when she captured the French 44-gun frigate Virginie in April 1796 and her most famous action in January 1797, helping drive the 74  Gun Droits de l'Homme ashore. My research tells me that at this time, her armament  was 26x 24 pounders, (I assume Armstrong pattern so this is what I have done for the kit), 18 x 42 Pounder carronades and 2 x 12 Pounder (long) chase guns (which I have done in the Blomefield pattern). So that makes 46 guns in total.

It is twice mentioned in contemporary correspondence that she had 14 carronades on the quarterdeck. The original plans show space for only 6 per side, so I have amended the quarterdeck bulwarks to take the extra port into account. I will probably fit her with a flying jibboom, as this was introduced in 1794, so the finished model will be quite a size.

The pictures shown above are only the very first test fits with all critical structural parts. The hull structure needs to be pretty solid due to its size, so more attention has been spent ensuring this.

Need to work out a suitable figurehead. Stern will be quite basic, but am not sure if the figurehead would have been just a bust or full, as these razees were commissioned at the height of the austerity measures...

logo.jpg

Here's an interesting article with pictures about the restoration of the Indefatigable's bust figurehead at the Liverpool Museum. It's a later Indy, a boys maritime training schoolship circa 1848, from our historical one above, but it shows, perhaps, what decor might have been used to describe "one who never tires" ... In this case, King William IV, or "King Billy".

https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/stories/indefatigable-figurehead-restoration

10 minutes ago, uss frolick said:

Here's an interesting article with pictures about the restoration of the Indefatigable's bust figurehead at the Liverpool Museum. It's a later Indy, a boys maritime training schoolship circa 1848, from our historical one above, but it shows, perhaps, what decor might have been used to describe "one who never tires" ... In this case, King William IV, or "King Billy".

https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/stories/indefatigable-figurehead-restoration

Thank you :)

Figurehead is a bit of a headache. Not so bad when they're named after places or historical/classical/mythical figures...

logo.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Little update..

My 'new' garage conversion is now more or less complete. I now have a good electricity supply going into the workshop and have a good amount of sockets, so no more extensions snaking all over the floor. The final job was the insulated roller shutter doors. I took a couple of pics, but realised I took these after I just finished maintenance (cleaning) of the laser machines. In this room, the parts are produced, both laser cut sheets and castings.

I have also added a couple of pics on my Indy prototype progress. This is the third hull since starting, and the final designs. All beams and decks above the gun deck are just dry fitted in place, to check general fit of all of these parts, the beams especially. The upper deck and poop you see are sub decks only, and they will require planking (no pre etched decks for the final kit). But I will include the etched planking on the sub decks as shown, in case some want to use as a template. Decks can be fully planked or part open, as shown. I would suggest you don't deviate too much from these openings, however, as there are 10 guns per side on the quarter and forecastle deck..

Gun deck inner bulwarks have been added (all pre-cut) as well as spirketting. Most of the outer hull will be planked in the traditional manner, though.

It has been a lot of long hours to get to this stage, but I can relax a little once all critical structural parts are finalised - but these very early stages of the pre-prototype will give you an idea of what I am aiming for, for this kit. I will keep on building using this hull until I get to the stage, like my Sphinx 'throwaway' (which I still have...) where I know everything fits as it should, then over to Jim!

Garage 1.JPG

Garage 3.JPG

Garage 4.JPG

Ind 15.JPG

Ind 16.JPG

Ind 18.JPG

Ind 19.JPG

Ind 20.JPG

Ind 9.JPG

logo.jpg

Cool, I like the entry way sign to the “factory.”

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

47 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

Cool, I like the entry way sign to the “factory.”

My printers who do my plans and manuals did it for me, gratis. I have had it in its tube since last November, but couldn't put it up until the new door and the two large doors were fitted..

logo.jpg

5 minutes ago, Malcolm Greig said:

Fantastic workshop and the Indy looks like another winner. That workshop looks a real long way from a kitchen table.   

regards

Malcolm

Cheers!

Although I still build prototypes on dining room table...

logo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK, regarding Saucy Jack, the Barking Well Smack, thanks in no small part to James Hatch, the box art and plans and manual are with the printers. As soon as I am in receipt of the plans, manual and boxes, it can go on sale (or sail...)

I have attached a pic of the box art I did yesterday, and the manual will be available to download in the usual way once the product page goes live. Price will be £137, same as Nisha. So the Saucy Jack folder has been moved from the 'Kit Designs in Progress' folder to the 'Completed Kits' folder.

This is my 10th kit since 2019, Ranger will be the 11th (and the last non navy vessel for a good while). Indefatigable will be the 12th, and this is what I am working on right now, and hope to have this released this year. It is a very big project, and I did promise myself I wouldn't go too far, but as usual, I cannot help myself....

One last thing, I get emails on quite a regular basis asking when Amati Victory is out. I do not know, I do not work for Amati, so those who ask have as much idea as I do! 

Saucy Jack Box Art.jpg

logo.jpg

Just had a new book arrive for stock:

Ship Models from the Age of Sail – VANGUARD MODELS

It is very nice, written by Kerry Jang, and features Speedy as one of the builds. There is reference to Chucks (Syren Models) great models, and a picture of the fantastic Winchelsea  and Cheerful.

Book is hardback and full colour. I shall keep one for myself...

ship models in the age of sail.jpg

logo.jpg

Just ordered a copy. For the record, ordering from you including international shipping is less than the list price in Amazon books, plus there it’s only available as a a pre-release.

Having yours and Chuck’s models makes it for me. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Ditto!

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Just a little, if regretful update:

Over the past few months, material costs have risen from 10-25%, from essential materials to stuff you don't really give a second thought to, packaging materials. On top of this, in the UK at least, electricity/fuel costs are rising - this does have an impact, especially for larger kits like Sphinx, which takes a whole day of laser cutting time per kit, a lot of electricity.

With this in mind, from Monday, I have to increase prices across the board by 10%. I really don't want to, but have little choice. I have swallowed any past extra cost as best I can, like the import duty costs for my materials from the EU, but I cannot soak up the new price rises for the rest of the materials I have to buy that go into each kit. 

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

On a happier note, Indefatigable development moves on relentlessly. I have started the first planking of the hull, which will take a few days. Still not sorted a figurehead though, but all armament, anchors and other castings type fittings have already been produced.

I decided to 3-d print the majority of the belfry. This is still quite small, and the original has many shapes.  I did originally design it in separate parts, with laser cut and engraved supports, but it would have been quite fiddly to assembly, and I don't like fiddly if I can help it. I then designed it with the stanchions and canopy (always a problematic shape if in wood form) as one piece, and the bell cross beam in pear.

I have attached my original drawing for this, it will not look as 'clunky' as a wood only part. As with the anchors and guns, this is produced using black resin.

Indy Belfry.jpg

logo.jpg

3 hours ago, nehemiah said:

Do you sell replacement display stands for the Alert? I had a cat-related trip/ fall and crushed the one provided with the kit.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask or if the answer is immediately apparent on your site and I missed it.

I would try messaging him through the site. Chris sold me a replacement stand for Alert a few weeks back.

17 hours ago, nehemiah said:

Do you sell replacement display stands for the Alert? I had a cat-related trip/ fall and crushed the one provided with the kit.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask or if the answer is immediately apparent on your site and I missed it.

Yes :) We shall sort something out once I have your details via email.

logo.jpg