HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Rustyj - FINISHED - 1:48

39 minutes ago, Rustyj said:

Yes it is pear wood. The color is very similar to Cherry but I had more pear on hand then Cherry so that's what I'm using.

Absolutely gorgeous, Rusty! I had no idea that pear was so similar to cherry. It's beautiful! Is it relatively easy to work with and bend? Also, are you using Chuck's method of gluing the planks with just a small dot of CA on the frames? Your build is inspirational.

Bob

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks VTHokiEE.

4 hours ago, BobG said:

Is it relatively easy to work with and bend? Also, are you using Chuck's method of gluing the planks with just a small dot of CA on the frames?

Thanks Bob,

Working with it is nice. Holds a good sharp edge and sands well. I feel it's harder than Cherry thus making it a little harder

to bend but nothing that makes it more difficult. As far as Chucks methods I edge bend, twist and curve with heat to the

shape of the hull just as Chuck describes. As to the gluing I try to mimic Chuck as much as possible but I resort to some

edge gluing a bit more the Chuck does. I haven't gotten that good yet.

I grabbed a scrap piece of cherry and pear, wiped a quick coat of wipe on poly and took a picture.

You can see there is a bit more visible grain and a little lighter color with the cherry. In my opinion they both are great wood to work with. 

DSC001011.thumb.jpg.8d4a9a6e8397ce2895e4ca15115fdc49.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

59 minutes ago, Rustyj said:

As to the gluing I try to mimic Chuck as much as possible but I resort to some

edge gluing a bit more the Chuck does. I haven't gotten that good yet.

Thanks, Rusty. Are you using CA on the planks.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Beautiful planking Rusty! That Pear looks cherry! 😀 Sorry, couldn’t resist.....  your color is really consistent, it’s going to age soooo nice.....Gonna be awesome with the black wales too! 

Yes Bob I use Zap a Gap CA.

Thanks ASAT. This is the first hull I've done in pear and so far so good!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I've returned to the second planking layer of the wales now. The first four strakes are 3/64" x 7/32" and will be painted black. 

The fifth strake is the black strake will be added after the wales are finished being painted and will be left natural in color.

As the wales and black strake are supposed to taper to almost nothing at the stem. This is to make them look like they fit

into the rabbet. I pre sanded them down to 1/64" before gluing them in place. This helped me smooth them down without

having to take as much off and risk damaging the stem.

DSC00103.thumb.JPG.24f88c43fa31654c767eb09875f25bb5.JPG

Here she is in all her dirty glory. The starboard side is unpainted and the port side with a first coat of paint.

I am using Admiralty Paints "Matt (Metal) Black"

DSC00109.thumb.JPG.683508e2fc93f9416bb1edd8c9f9ec42.JPG

DSC00108.thumb.JPG.200c1382eaac14b9b5d11db52008753a.JPG

DSC00107.thumb.JPG.9a458fe4d53b66fb84d170b2a238ac37.JPG

DSC00110.thumb.JPG.71c97f879175ce59db77e8c28d0dee87.JPG

Many coats of paint to go and then I'll add the black strake.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Yes I saw the issue popping up and I’ll be checking mine also. I’m sure some sort of “adjustment” will be needed. I’ll let you know. Thanks 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

The anchor lining has been added to the port and starboard sides.

Next I'll resume the hull planking.

DSC00119.thumb.JPG.70df82f66a6c0c00a009a8c629b7878a.JPG

DSC00120.thumb.JPG.a68c8b10a6a016595a9711e942a85f03.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Chuck and Ben. Chugging along slow and steady and loving it!

Also thanks for all the likes too.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 1 month later...

It's been 5 weeks and I've been slowly plodding along.

I've now planked the second band of six strakes on both the port and starboard sides. The

number of planks broken or miss shaped are too numerous to keep track of. Also on the

starboard side after resting for the night and then resuming the next day I did not like the look

of first three strakes. So the first two planks from the stem aft were removed and redone.  

Here's how she looks right now. I'll be starting from the keel up next.

DSC00125a.thumb.jpg.18c7c0c0d829a90abbdb2fa76c34e782.jpg

DSC00124a.thumb.jpg.b4a963d8d2b5526966df1329d7f3b9ef.jpg

DSC00126a.thumb.jpg.6054341a41624c98a3c5293d681f8cc7.jpg

DSC00121a.thumb.jpg.366c85c6fe6ff8a9ab20dfcc70b7331c.jpg

DSC00122a.thumb.jpg.7340b807e6b1df5a68973e9920b1d042.jpg

DSC00123a.thumb.jpg.6be1a52d3bf8b2efb1346b5bea904ca2.jpg

As always thanks for stopping by and stay safe!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

You have done a beautiful job.  I love the pear wood and the contrast between the different planks.  Can't wait to see more.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Thanks Ryland. I've never used this much pear before and I'm happy with the look.

Thanks everyone for the likes too!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Really looking great Rusty.  The Pear is such a rich color.  Really looks great for the Winnie.

Thanks scrubbj427.

Thanks Chuck, the pear is kinda like cherry on steroids. It'll be interesting to see how it ages.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

1 hour ago, Rustyj said:

to see how it ages.

I’ve used pear on the inner bulwarks of several of my models including Pegasus which has cherry above the Wales and on my Fair American which is mostly cherry. So far for me the cherry after 5-7 year takes on a definite sweet color, but the pear looks essentially the same (not that’s at all bad, it’s pretty wood).  I was using Swiss Pear from good ole Jeff, that may be different than your pear.

Either way that’s one nice looking hull, you’ve always been one of my inspirations for me to ‘do better.’ 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks Glenn, Funny your builds have always inspired me!

I agree the cherry on our Fair American's have aged very nicely.

A large portion of the pear I'm using came from Jeff too.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 3 weeks later...

The last 11 strakes have been completed. Prior to starting the planking these strakes I checked my distance from

the keel to the already completed 12 strakes. I noticed that at frames A and 1 (center of the model) the distance

was 1/32" wider than the 11 1/4" strakes would cover. To remedy this the Garboard Strake was cut 1/32" wider

and installed. I then added 2 more strakes above the Garboard. I then add 3 strakes to the completed upper strakes.

This left me with 5 strakes to be completed between these two bands. I then rechecked and adjusted my remaining

tick marks and then finished the planking.

DSC00135.thumb.JPG.d32aaf1b3433fb982c8942ea7e952c3e.JPG

DSC00136.thumb.JPG.5868ad2ad4a83fe75d4bfd670bbf6af6.JPG

DSC00131.thumb.JPG.28fc27924db55025ad38e172728f2265.JPG

DSC00132.thumb.JPG.e1776f48450273215fa4d302e7acdf48.JPG

DSC00133.thumb.JPG.025e299141e0cd3d731cf9f1e4c52960.JPG

DSC00134.thumb.JPG.7de96e72aa40ea1482735ec7d67a8613.JPG

As you can see I still have to sand the planks at the stern post, add the stern post and trim the keel then chapter 3 will be completed. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

2 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Can you plank mine for me😂

Thanks Glenn, This is the second time I've planked the Winnie  so I'm good there.

After doing this big hull I'd gladly plank the Cheerful again!

Thanks VTHokiEE and Don. Also all the like too!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I think you felled a tree to plank Winnie, but it looks great.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Rusty,  that does look fantastic.  Its looking great.  Cant wait to see it in person one of these days.  

10 hours ago, glbarlow said:

I think you felled a tree to plank Winnie, but it looks great.

I'm thinking it might have been the equivalent of two trees!

3 hours ago, Chuck said:

Cant wait to see it in person one of these days.

Thanks Chuck, I'm looking forward to when I can visit you again!

41 minutes ago, Stuntflyer said:

Now the fun part starts, Qgalleries.

Thank Mike, Out of the frying pan and into the fire?

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)