HMS Winchelsea by rafine 1/48

After my modeling malaise earlier this year, I now seem to want to build Winnie all the time now. 

The latest work has been to make up and mount the coamings and gratings, the partners, the stove base and the center deck planking .The coamings, partners and stove base were done using the laser cut parts. The gratings were made from the boxwood grating kits. The bolts in the partners were simulated with black monofilament. I began the planking with the strakes between the coamings and partners.

I am now continuing the planking working outward.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_a81.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a83.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a8d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a8b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a89.jpeg

29 minutes ago, rafine said:

After my modeling malaise earlier this year, I now seem to want to build Winnie all the time now. 

That looks great Bob. It's funny how we get a burst of enthusiasm and can't get enough building time. For me from here on out is the most fun! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

46 minutes ago, rafine said:

I know how you feel, Bob.  I never get enough time to spend on Winnie and I think about her all the time.  Your work is beautiful!  This looks like really fun work to do.

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Excellent work Bob, she's looking great!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Thanks so much Rusty, Matt, Elijah and the "likes". Although I really don't want to, I'm trying to slow down so that I don't finish the Chapter four work before Chuck finishes Chapter five. 

Bob

First class work Bob,   if this is not you at  your best  -  goodness knows how  sharp that would be  - I'm loving your work - always have.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks so much Thomas, JJ, OC and Mustafa for your generous comments and thanks also to the "likes". 

OC, without wishing to draw this discussion out any further, I would only say that aging is a realty, and we all must live with it's consequences. Enough said.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Some good news and some bad news. The good news: I've finished the deck planking and, thus, part four. The bad news: I've finished the deck planking and part four, apparently well before Chuck finishes part five. The unwanted result  may be a lengthy halt to my building.

In any event, the planking went relatively uneventfully. I tapered and curved the bow and stern planks without too much difficulty. The hooked scarph joints at bow and stern were interesting to do and required thought and care, but went smoothly. The photos show the deck planking sanded and finished with Wipe-on Poly.

fullsizeoutput_a94.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a96.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a9e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_aa3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_aa0.jpeg

Continuing to impress Bob, that looks really good.  If you have a pause I would say go grab a Queen Anne Barge to build while you wait but they just sold out again.

That looks really nice Bob. I'm sure you'll find something to build. :)  

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Nice job on your deck.  The Winchelsea is bringing out the best of the builders.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Terrific work there Bob,  I sympathise with you about what to do now having been in a similar situation waiting for chapter four parts to arrive, took 5 weeks so I got stuck in and made up the cannon carriages.  You might consider buying the kits that Chuck sells, that would keep you out of mischief for a few weeks. Just a suggestion 😉

Reg

Thanks so much Michael, Rusty, Greg, Ryland and Reg for the generous comments and the suggestions. Thanks also to the "likes",  I'm looking at some interim alternatives, but I feel like an addict searching for a "fix".

Bob

27 minutes ago, rafine said:

I feel like an addict searching for a "fix"

That sentiment pretty much fits me to a tee. Nothing wrong with it by the way! ;) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Bob, I'm so sorry I haven't been around for 2 years, lol.  It's not funny, but I'm laughing at myself anyway.

I'm SO glad you're still here modelling.  You, Frolic and Auggie were several of my biggest supporters around here and I'm so sorry I disappeared but life really got me down.  But hey, now I'm back!

Carry on mate, your model looks wonderful as usual!

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

Wes, I've lost enough friends in the last few years that I'm really happy just to hear from you. All the best.

Now, let's see some progress on your remarkable Essex!

Bob

Hi Bob.  I was just thinking about your predicament of being all caught up.  Have you considered getting started on the guns while you wait?  Just a thought.

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Matt, I thought about the guns, but after checking the plans against Chuck's available guns, it seemed to me that there are none that match up well. I'm guessing that Chuck will have new guns for Winnie. I have been working on  the eyebolts and ringbolts for the deck and bulwarks, using the plans for size and placement.

I have Chris Watton's Duchess of Kingston on order, and will likely start on that when it arrives ( hopefully next week.).

Bob

I picked up the Vanguard Alert about a month ago figuring there would be some point where I will  need a change of scenery for a little bit, but the Duchess keeps beckoning .  She's a beaut and seems like the perfect kit to work on for a few months.  Nice choice.

CurrentHMS Winchelsea 

FinishedPhantom New York Pilot Boat

On 11/5/2020 at 4:41 PM, rafine said:

Matt, I thought about the guns, but after checking the plans against Chuck's available guns, it seemed to me that there are none that match up well.

Hi Bob. I spoke with Chuck regarding the cannon a while ago and he said "The cannon are in fact the 1 15/16 resin for the gun deck.  1 9/16 for the upper decks. If you leave the aft port empty like I will you will need 24.....1 15/16 cannon.  None in the foremost port either." 

By the way great choice on the Duchess of Kingston. I'm severely tempted to get her. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hello Bob,

it’s still difficult to find build logs if you don’t know the era of the ship......

And to seek the whole forum......

But i find you and you’re beautiful work.

Your skills are still great!

Sjors

• 4 months later...

Good evening Bob. Could I ask your thoughts about margin planks, in particular at the bow. I will shortly be starting work on the deck of my W2. I cut one pair of margin planks from a sheet of cherry with the scroll saw. I edge bent another pair from 8mm wide strips. It is pretty extreme edge bending and they buckled a little bit but not so much that I cannot glue them down flat. I could not edge bend to a perfect curve and had to sand down to an overall width of 6mm. They  – the edge bent pair – would fit pretty satisfactorily. The pair I cut from a sheet of cherry fit well, too - but the grain, of course, does not follow the curve. I guess – and it is a complete guess – that the original shipwrights would have cut the margin plank from a bough of timber that was naturally curved.

On balance I think I prefer the edge bent pair but I would have liked them a little wider than 6mm.

What did you do? Your decking looks pretty good to me.

All the best

Fred

Thanks so much Tom for the comments and the "likes". I appreciate your appreciation.

Fred, I cut my bow margin planks from sheet. I tried edge bending, but got lumps and bumps. At least with the cedar, grain was not an issue from an appearance standpoint. In addition. after the focs'l  framing and decking is in place, it will hardly be noticeable.

BTW, I'm now working on Chapter five and will be posting soon.

Bob

I'm happily back at work on Winnie. Duchess of Kingston will now go on pause until I complete Chapter five.

The first thing done was was to make, shape and fit out the rudder, using the laser cut parts. I drilled and filed  the rudder opening  and painted the edge black. I followed Chuck's suggestion to use only two pins to mount the rudder.Much easier than trying to fit five of them.

Next, I added the rudder trunk and benches, again using the laser cut parts. You can see from the photos that I added the extra triangular bench top supports to protect against warping.

Lastly, I made up and added the sill from strip cedar. All of the work was given a coat of Wipe-0n Poly.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_b70.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b74.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b75.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b76.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b77.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b7b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b79.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b7d.jpeg