NAIAD 1797 by Bitao - 1:60

Your work should be an inspiration to all members.  Looking forward to the next progress report.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...

And a Merry Christmas to you, Bitao. Gorgeous work as always, it looks close to being done. 

Great model and a great build log.

Seasons best wishes, bitao.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

A very Merry Christmas, and best wishes for a safe and happy festive season to you and your family also Bitao.  Love watching your work.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Best Holiday Wishes for you as well, Bitao, and thank you for sharing your exceptional work with us.!

Greg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thank you, friends up there. The ship is expected to be finished within a year (by July 2022) , and although the start-up was delayed by nearly a month due to rework, it should be ready within a year. I hope we can make progress together in the New Year! Merry Christmas to all once again!:imNotWorthy:

Bitao, a beautiful end to 2021. I look forward to seeing the results of 2022. 

Wow, wow and more wow!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Happy New Year, everyone. Thank you for your attention and your compliments. I was going to take a few days off to continue, but I’m used to being in the studio every day, and I’m not comfortable not doing anything. Think of this ship needs to process a lot of columns, slender workpiece on the lathe clamping not only trouble, and the processing of the Camber Chamfer seems to be incorrect, manual file repair efficiency is too low to achieve uniform specifications. So I spent two days to design and make a fixture that can be easily repaired by hand with a file or used as a clamping tool on a milling machine. The upper and lower two sides of the clamp seat are respectively provided with V slots of different sizes to fit the square wooden strips with 1.5-14mm side length. The chucks can be used up and down interchangeably, and the other two chucks are designed with a limit to prevent uneven force from crushing the corners. This allows for Chamfering, octahedral and taper machining of slender strips. If you have a better suggestion, please give it to me, I can improve it. It also provides better reference for other players.

319.JPG.61421a98b5cf8f82b7ba9a74ff122f52.JPG

320.JPG.240874a5b5ee61562ba87804923b451c.JPG

321.JPG.fe50e59fec18017072f50f7aa497926d.JPG

322.JPG.b6938a3212f4409b06b424d32141252a.JPG

323.JPG.14b438c28ffe2b0145458ab1083c97d9.JPG

324.JPG.9150629674f4089347f88771ce3441ab.JPG

325.JPG.4b90ea5e1e48073ac85c7916f09b0703.JPG

326.JPG.54a9d53f370fd183e9f1eba5d6d7f8c4.JPG

1 hour ago, druxey said:

Interesting variation on a 45 degree holder or jig

Dude definitely has some envious equipment and tools.   :)

Bitao, I have just been catching up with your new build! The work that you do leaves me basically speechless, your ability to solve complex constructions using non traditional methods with creative ways is a great contribution that adds to our collective knowledge.

Your strive for continually improving your skills is inspiring. I admire your willingness to start over with work that you are not happy with, in order to reach the desired result that seek.

All the best in the new year and thank you so much for sharing a greater level of detail in your methods and tooling, How we work is often as valuable for learning as seeing the end results.

Humbly Michael 

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Dear Michael, I haven’t seen you for a long time. How are you? In the New Year I would like to express my most sincere greetings to you! I have to say, you are one of the most impressive people I have joined this forum. Your metalworking ability and professionalism also let me learn more things. In particular, as the elderly, you are still tenacious to do their own things and excellence, let me be very impressed! As a former gymnast (now a teacher) , no one helped me get more professional knowledge in this area, but I have been trying and working for more than 20 years as an amateur, some basic machining skills. Come here for more than 3 years, appreciate the process of each strong person including you, no doubt also bring me a lot of inspiration and motivation! That’s why I love it here so much and consider it my only home for personal display. Hope that the follow-up still see your wonderful production, also can let me get greater improvement. I also wish you good health and all the best!

On 1/1/2022 at 9:42 PM, bitao said:

Dear Michael, I haven’t seen you for a long time. How are you? In the New Year I would like to express my most sincere greetings to you!

Dear Bitao for you kindness, and inquiry.

I am well and staying safe with my wife Judy, here in a rather cold chilly winter season. My hand has recovered from the  surgery, and I am close to finishing an old project that I have been fiddling with since 2004, I am looking forward to getting back to work on my Skipjack Launch within the coming month[s]. There is a lot of interesting detail to sort out on the launch. One of the things that I am contemplating is to complete the launch in a similar way to the way that some of the classic ship models are presented. One side showing the construction of the internal elements and the other showing the external finishes.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.