NAIAD 1797 by Bitao - 1:60

Recently temporarily slowed down the progress, rest a few days do not want to make themselves very tired. With the Beijing Winter Olympics and winter vacation approaching, I will have more than a month of vacation to focus on the next step. Thank you for your attention.

316.JPG.623372b34831710f968d447e0db82cf0.JPG

317.JPG.6821c1fd0c4f0054327040952a661156.JPG

318.JPG.aa3b443b35bcd225ceed1714a20fb758.JPG

On 1/6/2022 at 12:45 AM, Thistle17 said:

Master works bitao! Your joinery is superb. You missed your calling as you should have been a master shipwright. Maybe in your next life????

Joe

Thank you, Joe. I don’t know what to do with such high praise. I think I still need a few years of hard work and study. I hope I live up to the standards you set for me. . .

2 hours ago, bitao said:

Thank you, Joe. I don’t know what to do with such high praise. I think I still need a few years of hard work and study. I hope I live up to the standards you set for me. . .

I think it's the other way around, Bitao.   You and the other masters here are setting the standards and the rest of us try to get to your level.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

35 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I think it's the other way around, Bitao.   You and the other masters here are setting the standards and the rest of us try to get to your level.

Thank you, Mark. You give me the impression of being very good at learning and being modest, and showing friendly and encouragement to everyone here. This forum is like a big mountain, each of us is a climber; maybe because of physical strength, skills, we are at different heights of the path, but all of us are doing their best to move towards the summit. I, as the lucky one, may be able to climb a little faster than the others. But the laggards, once they have mastered the technique, will also be the ones who go beyond the standard. In the process, we enjoy the fun of growing, learning, improving, succeeding, and transcending ourselves. It doesn’t matter what height you reach.

48 minutes ago, bitao said:

This forum is like a big mountain, each of us is a climber; maybe because of physical strength, skills, we are at different heights of the path, but all of us are doing their best to move towards the summit. I, as the lucky one, may be able to climb a little faster than the others. But the laggards, once they have mastered the technique, will also be the ones who go beyond the standard. In the process, we enjoy the fun of growing, learning, improving, succeeding, and transcending ourselves. It doesn’t matter what height you reach.

Bitao, well said. 

Very well said, indeed.   In many ways we're like an old time guild with apprentices, journeymen, and masters passing skills along.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Bitao, the complexity is so beautiful it almost hurts one's eyes. 

That is exquisite joinery Bitao; very nicely done.  A real treat for the eyes.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Tomorrow will usher in China’s traditional festival: the Spring Festival. In a few days, the Beijing Winter Olympics will also be opening. I will stop working and take about a week off to spend this wonderful holiday with my wife. I also wish friends all over the world a happy New Year! I will continue to update until it is complete.:champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

338.JPG.538202d93d7fa08d944a3c59eeddb44d.JPG

339.JPG.58b72043cae01d63143a906f1a8ee719.JPG

340.JPG.0c775759474664fe47ec0f37246b8e93.JPG

341.JPG.d5aa50114d866f9c35a4ab84253ae6d4.JPG

342.JPG.d2d8cff7ba8459f2d62caef7194d5a3a.JPG

343.JPG.4257ee2760bfe3ffe92fd717e61bd498.JPG

344.JPG.a79d68da28f8cb3370a496b73a05325c.JPG

Happy New Year to you, Bitao. Enjoy your time off, in the mean time your work is as beautiful as always. 

Happy New Year, hope the Tiger is lucky for you!

Chinese New Year Greetings/Wishes 2022 for Clients/Friends/Family/Boss

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Here's hoping you have a great and wonderful new year.  :champagne-2:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your support and encouragement. During the Spring Festival, I rested for five days. I started going back to my workshop yesterday. Because of the later dyeing, in order to show the irregular shape of the Lath, this part breaks the convention of complete laying. Making Rivets before dyeing is also tedious work.

345.JPG.c28f4d861418edfd16babb33d6a8b9cf.JPG

346.JPG.005878f9f9cd4c89cabe4a61a0623ccc.JPG

347.JPG.06f59067cccc18598ced637944d66e35.JPG

348.JPG.ad9c5dd50fc1f4cae22dbbde8c12024f.JPG

349.JPG.494d7a61f6caaaf7101349ca438e5856.JPG

350.JPG.5d5025bb0cb487a3681b790f495ee783.JPG

Bitao, welcome back. Always a pleasure seeing updates of your beautiful work. 

It took a whole day to finish the rivets. The color is not completely black, I do not like the single color and contrast is too big, a Little Red Brown; because of the lighting, the actual color than the photo a little darker, similar to dark brown.

351.JPG.bc93fddc034e815efd4ecc43b04eabfd.JPG

352.JPG.a2cde6c427cd8c275d2cb11218bf8536.JPG

353.JPG.ab6b6d0b61fcc7b29463d27bbb2627d0.JPG

354.JPG.b83256d82fdfcb1e5fabada1b84e1e3d.JPG

Most importantly, your work is incredible.  I wish I had half your talent.  I agree with you that the color of the wales is too brown. How are you planning on fixing it?

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Thank you, Toni, John, for that compliment.

To be honest, the color that took me half a day to bring up is really my favorite color, but the result looks Red and light in the photo, seems to be out of the ordinary. It’s not what I can see with my own eyes. Because the surface has been protected with paraffin oil, once polished off and re-dyed it will destroy the fragile, sharp edges, which is unacceptable to me. There is always something wrong with one piece of work, and it may serve as a profound lesson for improvement for my next piece.☺️

1 hour ago, bitao said:

There is always something wrong with one piece of work, and it may serve as a profound lesson for improvement for my next piece.☺️

So True, it is the most one of the most valuable lessons we can learn, but at the same time not hold us back. I feel that these challenges are presented for us so that we can progress in our journey, which is after all the most important consideration.

Overall the model does look amazing.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.